For the first time in a decade, there will be no YouTube Rewind this year

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? YouTube Rewind is a video compiled by Google commemorating the year's most prominent trends and viral videos. The year-end video has been a tradition since 2010, but this year YouTube has announced there will be no Rewind 2020.

In a Thursday afternoon tweet, YouTube announced it would not have a Rewind video for 2020 in light of the freakish year we have been having.

"2020 has been different," it said. "And it doesn't feel right to carry on as if it weren't. So, we're taking a break from Rewind this year."

YouTube was not all negative, though. It did thank its community of content creators for striving on and posting entertaining videos for everyone stuck in the house with cabin fever.

"We know that so much of the good that did happen in 2020 was created by all of you. You've found ways to lift people up, help them cope, and make them laugh. You made a hard year genuinely better. Thank you for making a difference."

Who could blame YouTube for not wanting to do a year-in-review video, though? The year that keeps on giving has been one that most of us would sooner forget than celebrate. From the pandemic to lockdowns to trade show cancellations, 2020 has been unlike any other year in recent history, and not in a good way. Perhaps it's best to leave this year in the past and hope that 2021 is much better.

Permalink to story.

2020 was Brutal...

I feel like I lost an entire year of productivity.
Yeah, bad mojo for a lot of folks. I was "lucky?" because I'm an architect and just in the last 8 months I drew up dozens of plans for people remodeling to make their stay at home more bearable and some business updating existing structures to accommodate customers for new public guidelines.

May I ask what business you are in?

Yeah, bad mojo for a lot of folks. I was "lucky?" because I'm an architect and just in the last 8 months I drew up dozens of plans for people remodeling to make their stay at home more bearable and some business updating existing structures to accommodate customers for new public guidelines.

May I ask what business you are in?

Stock Broker

My business went up considerably under Quarantine.

Oh, I don't know. When you look at it objectively, all the crap in Washington Politics was as good as ANY Soap Opera and there were less commercial breaks (that's breaks, NOT tweets). And like most, all the main characters kept getting killed off with a few possibly making a return in a few years and others never to return again. All that was really missing was a few extra 6 pak's and a good dump at half time .........

Stock Broker

Ah, it all makes sense now. That's why you are always on any stock thread. :)
Yeah, the stock market has been a literal roller coaster this year.

I have a lot of stock but it's not something I play with. I don't know near enough about playing the market. It's all long term check it daily and move on stuff.

Well, 2020 sucked for me... right now, to top off this wonderful year, I’m lying in bed, in excruciating pain, waiting for a kidney stone to pass...

But YouTube has been pretty useful...

One of my favorites :)

Here I was thinking 2019 was a crap year but 2020 certainly takes the bisquit. Still, look on the bright side. Trump's going, and Bojo the Clown Johnson is a dead man walking.

This is actually the best news of 2020 seeing as Rewind is always disingenuous garbage from the overlords

Why's everybody acting like 2021 will be better? When was the last time humanity came up with a cure for a VIRUS??? And if you believe flu-shots actually work, I got a bridge over the Potomac I'd like to sell you. The way I see it, it'll only get worse.

Why's everybody acting like 2021 will be better? When was the last time humanity came up with a cure for a VIRUS??? And if you believe flu-shots actually work, I got a bridge over the Potomac I'd like to sell you. The way I see it, it'll only get worse.
Well, flu shots DO work... about 40-60% of the time... if everyone would actually take them EVERY YEAR, the flu wouldn’t really be so bad...

The Covid vaccine, hopefully, will get much higher adoption rates - but I agree - 2022 is the year to shoot for returning to “normalcy”.

Stock Broker

How do you feel about the inevitable 40% crash that will happen soon? Worse than the 2009 GFC.

I know I know, anyone can keep saying it will happen and they will be right sooner or later, but looking at all the data it cannot possibly continue up.

How do you feel about the inevitable 40% crash that will happen soon? Worse than the 2009 GFC.

I know I know, anyone can keep saying it will happen and they will be right sooner or later, but looking at all the data it cannot possibly continue up.
COVID-19 hurt the economy badly. As a vaccine for prevention becomes available and other drugs for treatment continue it will be a strong positive. I'm no expert but I see no path to a 40% crash. Or even a minor crash really.

COVID-19 hurt the economy badly. As a vaccine for prevention becomes available and other drugs for treatment continue it will be a strong positive. I'm no expert but I see no path to a 40% crash. Or even a minor crash really.
Even the earliest prognosis for a vaccine being deployed is many months away.... by then, millions will have lost their jobs, etc... I don’t see how you can see ANY paths that don’t include a major recession.

Back