for those of you who think u have a bad comp

ripken204

well my dad just got ram for his comp, upgraded from 64mb to 3 128mb chips and wow those are expensive, 40$ a pop but good thing office max had a 20$ rebate, although for some reason, not 1 store in the city had it so we had to order it

and get this, office max uses a dos computer for ordering their stuff, the guy ordering it for us was swearing at the comp cus it was so crappy

but also this comp, 350mhz processor, ya u heard me

thats not bad. (sort of). My cousin had a computer with only 166mhz and only 16mb of ram. the thing ran on windows 95 and it was suprisingly quite fast. Im helping him out by giving him a faster computer that I worked on.

If a computer/program does what it is supposed to do then the specs or the year of release are absolutely meaningless.

Officemax probably uses that program because it works and it would cost a fortune to get a new one.

I have seen a 16MHz 286 PC sharing an internet connection. The thing had an average uptime of 8 months and has not been formatted/reinstalled in 5 years. How many of you could say that about your Windows machines?

Right on Nodsu. Not everything needs a 4 GHz CPU.

Most that can run Windows for months are those still using NT4.

Boots

IronDuke said:
Right on Nodsu. Not everything needs a 4 GHz CPU.

Most that can run Windows for months are those still using NT4.

Boots
some times it pays and some times it doesn't

i havnt had to reinstall windows since ive been using firefox, its so so so much better than IE, with IE my comp would get screwed up big time in a month, its been about 5 months since i reformated while before i did it once a month

and his comp couldnt rly run programs all that well, when he was typing stuff their would be at least a 3 second delay! and the comp would freeze for a min if u wanted to close a folder

Nodsu said:
If a computer/program does what it is supposed to do then the specs or the year of release are absolutely meaningless.

Officemax probably uses that program because it works and it would cost a fortune to get a new one.

I have seen a 16MHz 286 PC sharing an internet connection. The thing had an average uptime of 8 months and has not been formatted/reinstalled in 5 years. How many of you could say that about your Windows machines?
My original XP machine has never been reformatted. I bought it when it first came out. Granted now it has lots of programs I don't use anymore, so it would be good to reinstall, but just haven't done it.

Nodsu said:

I have had win xp for 3 years ever reformated.

I think if I got a desktop system to last for a year, I would feel the need to do a new install just to clean out accumulated crap.

I agree. The program running the inventory was probably written in Fortran!

It's just a matter of cost.
If the computer does what it's supposed to do, then why change it?

Heck out at White Sands Missile Range in NM (where they test atomic stuff and lasers), they still have 1970s computers calculating trajectories.

Back