Forbes: Bill Gates is the world's most generous person

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates may not be the wealthiest person in the world but he’s earned a title that may be even more valuable: world’s most generous person. Forbes’ released their ranking of the world’s richest people earlier today where Gates finished second overall, trailing Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu by roughly $6 billion.

Gates has consistently ranked among the wealthiest people in the world. With the exception of 2008 where he placed third, he was considered the richest person on the planet from 1995 through 2009. In 2013, the 57-year-old has a net worth of $67 billion – an increase of about $6 billion from a year ago.

The newfound cash didn’t come from Microsoft but other financial holdings and private investments like hygiene tech firm Ecolab, Mexican TV broadcaster Televisa and Latin America’s largest beverage company.

Gates earned the title of most generous person for his work with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation where he has already given more than $28 billion. His ultimately goal with the project is to do away with deadly diseases like malaria and polio.

Aside from his work with the foundation, Gates has been trying to convince other billionaires to sign the Giving Pledge. Those who sign agree to donate the majority of their wealth to philanthropic causes when they die. Along with friend Warren Buffett, the two have recently added 12 non-Americans to the list including the UK’s Richard Branson and Azim Premji from India.

Permalink to story.

And how much did Steve Jobs donate?
Probably none since he was willing to bankrupt the company and shill all their investors (while he would still be sitting pretty with the assets he had) to put portable communications devices 10yrs back because he was a selfish un-hygenic sociopath.

And how much did Steve Jobs donate?
Probably none since he was willing to bankrupt the company and shill all their investors (while he would still be sitting pretty with the assets he had) to put portable communications devices 10yrs back because he was a selfish un-hygenic sociopath.
Ever hear the term takes one to know one? In all honesty, I don't know if he was one or not.

For funding Monsanto and poisoning us with his gmos? This guy is evil he is a eugenicist.

and still a sociopath. Wake UP!

I agree! And how much ironic is to label a person as the most generous while he added 6 billions dollars in his income in just one year?

Well, the Gates Foundation has given away $28 billion dollars. Most of that came from him. His current worth is $67 billion. That's a fair chunk of change in percentage terms.

I'm not sure that anyone has every given away so much money while he was alive and in the prime of his life. If you look at other rich tycoon/philanthropists (for example, Andrew Carnegie), their philanthropy generally came in their declining years or as part of their estates.

I agree! And how much ironic is to label a person as the most generous while he added 6 billions dollars in his income in just one year?
While still adding 6 billion dollars to his net worth (separate from income) it still means he has given more then anyone else, so even if he still gets money added to his net worth, doesn't mean he isn't generous.. he's still giving more than other people in that "1%" range and his money has helped a lot and done wonders..

And what number of people do you know that have donated $28 billion to charity? You can't blame him for making more money, and it's certainly not ironic at all. At least he does a lot of good with his fortunes, instead of letting his bank account build up or spending it all on himself.

So in order to be the most generous person you have to give away more money than you have or something? Everyone who donates tends to have jobs and will usually end up having positive income, it's just that the total amount that Bill Gates has given is way beyond what anyone else has (although I think he is going negative overall).

So in other words, you don't care if they are labeled generous or not, seeing as they still gained 6 billion in one year. Thats mighty selfish of you. With your mindset, Bill should have just kept his money and said screw everyone else. And to make matters even better, I wonder which organization you would donate to if afterward you still had a gain of 6 billion. Would you consider it generosity if you donated only $100 of your 6billion?

With that said I think I see where you are coming from. Generosity from someone who is not in need has a different definition than when the donation comes from someone that does have need in what is given. Therefor generosity should be a measurement by how much the donation was needed before donating.

Wow... he changed

This is amusing. You assume you've known him all along...

Go look for the most hardcore Apple fan you know and ask him/her what did Steve Jobs actually do to deserve the acclaim he's gotten. They probably won't be able to answer without mentioning the words "iPhone" or "iPod."

That's because they can't help but see the man that owns the company behind a successful product. It is almost as if Jobs was accredited with inventing the touch screen. They even call him a genius.

(Dare ask of what, and be prepared for them to show you the 2007 iPhone unveiling.)

My point is this applies to Bill too. We all know he founded Microsoft and yada yada yada, but we have no idea who he or Steve are as people; which happens to be the aspect Forbes is recognizing with Bill.

People think they know, but they really don't.

@ spencer, it's very sad to see that Alex Jones and the rest of the lunatics still have a hold on people. I was once like you too, believing all that madness, but I actually woke up. You need to wake up too, get away from Alex Jones and whatever conspiracy sites you're into, there is literally nothing there, it's all BS. You CAN come back from it, it's not too late.

Gates is a wonderful person and it's a shame that the lunatic fringe is still going after him like that.

Lol, in the bible, the widow's meager donation is considered bigger than the larger donation of the rich man.
so, imho, it all boils down to a generous heart.
you can give a small change or a large chunk of your fortune but if the heart is not willing, then it's almost meaningless.
some rich people donate in exchange for tax breaks.
others donate because they are able.:)

Bill gates should be generous and build me the best amd rig I can put together

Note to Bill: You CAN'T buy your way into Heaven. Just ask Steve Jobs....

Wow - that's some serious $$$- you can never knock a man for giving...he's not to rich to remember the poor that's priceless & if the rich people in the world had Bills mentality - world poverty could decrease.

Being the world's most generous person might sound good, but there are way more ways to be generous than just giving money. Money is not everything, you know. I'm not just saying that because I lack the funds to give money (I give money all the time), however, I don't suggest that money is the main part about being generous. It comes from the heart.

Forbes is a money-talk business magazine/site, therefore, no question they will say silly titles like "world's most generous person". It's just power words and subject power.

Give the guy a break. He got to earn sopmething to keep donating for the charity
Also getting other rich people to sign up is no easy task

Move over, santa... bill gates is here. :)
it's good that bill gates is recognized for his philanthropy, especially after the alleged contaminated vaccination program he sponsored.

Back