Ford and DHL show off electric delivery van

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Ford in June said it won a contract to build a fleet of electric delivery vans for Germany's Deutsche Post DHL Group (or as you probably know it, just “DHL”). On Wednesday, the public got its first look at the all-electric package-mover.

Dubbed the StreetScooter Work XL (it’s co-developed by a company named StreetScooter), the delivery van is built on a Ford Transit chassis and outfitted with an electric powertrain. It is fitted with a modular battery system delivering 30 to 90 kWh of power which will provide a range of between 80 km and 200 km (50 and 124 miles).

The body was designed and built to DHL’s specifications to accommodate more than 200 parcels.

Around 150 vehicles will roll off the assembly line this year ahead of a production ramp-up in 2018 that’ll see 2,500 e-vans built by the end of the year.

DHL notes that each Work XL could save around five tons of CO2 and 1,900 liters (around 500 gallons) of diesel fuel each year. With 2,500 vehicles in service, it is estimated that the fleet could result in a savings of 12,500 tons of CO2 and 4.75 million liters of fuel annually.

Jürgen Gerdes of DHL said the StreeScooter Work XL is the perfect vehicle for parcel deliveries in major cities and large urban areas, adding that it’ll enable them to cope with the rising parcel volumes in an even more environmentally friendly and quieter manner.

Permalink to story.

Does someone want to tell me how electric vehicles are more "green"
They are more efficient than the diesel fuel counterpart. Even using coal based electricity they still pollute less and need less maintenance. What you should not be fooled by is the fact that with today's tech the car fleet can't go all green at once. There are still major problems in electricity distribution in the US, might I say in every country in the world.

I assume this is only in Germany at the moment. DeutschePost already has an extensive fleet of electric runabouts, I see them all over the place. They're bare bones basic, no heating, no aircon. They're built to accomplish a specific task and nothing else.
It makes sense that DHL is heading the same way, just with a bigger load capacity. A large portion of electricity here is generated from solar and wind, and that percentage seems to be continually growing.

Does someone want to tell me how electric vehicles are more "green"
They are more efficient than the diesel fuel counterpart. Even using coal based electricity they still pollute less and need less maintenance. What you should not be fooled by is the fact that with today's tech the car fleet can't go all green at once. There are still major problems in electricity distribution in the US, might I say in every country in the world.
Electricity distribution is going to be a major problem for most (read all) countries in the world for a long time to come still. Wind & solar farms require a helluva huge investment to establish, not to mention they also require a helluva lot of space and can't produce enough of the electricity us consumers demand and those that do, find their monthly energy bill printed with huge, incomprehensible no's because of the cost involved establishing and running them. Nuclear power stations are an alternative but are dodgy at best because of safety issues so until we can resolve those problems, there will always be the cheaper, easier to maintain and run non-green fossil fuel burning, stinky, polluting power stations, but we have to start somewhere. At least electrical powered vehicles don't rely on fossil fuels to power them, and they don't lay down a blanket of pollution either. As far a balance is concerned, we're still at the tip of the iceberg. This is not just an emerging 3rd world economy problem and of no concern to a 1st world economy but a worldwide problem for everybody.

Last edited:
Not every, in fact not most power plants are coal powered. They are rapidly being replaced by gas. Also, the electric producers with coal plants are using advanced scrubbers (or shutting down, or switching to gas) which is far more efficient that your catalytic converter in your gas powered automobile and the one BIG flaw that the haters fail to include is the amount of energy used to extract gasoline. The typical cracking tower uses the same gasoline to run the burners to heat the bulk oil to separate the gasoline, kerosene, and other by-products. Oh yes, and don't forget the number of wind and solar powered stations that continue to diminish the carbon foot print.

The old coal argument is becoming a thing of the past .... time to move on!

Back