Forgot password BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I put a password on my BIOS. Now i can't get in there anymore.
I resenty read that there is a way to reset or bypass the password. But that i can't find anymore aswell. :confused:

I hope one of you knows. :D

I have an A-open AX4PE max motherboard with a standard BIOS

TNKX Ferret

Bios pw

Ferret said:
Hi all

I put a password on my BIOS. Now i can't get in there anymore.
I resenty read that there is a way to reset or bypass the password. But that i can't find anymore aswell. :confused:

I hope one of you knows. :D

I have an A-open AX4PE max motherboard with a standard BIOS

TNKX Ferret
Read your manual under pass word or reset your bios section.
You should be able to change the jumper setting to reset your bios.
You will have to recheck your bios settings after the reset

It really does depend on the motherboard...sometimes you have to change jumpers and sometimes you can just remove the cmos battery and sometimes the manual will say to do both. And I have never heard of having to keep the battery out for 10-15 minutes. Usually a minute or 2 will do.

I think the "just" and "have to" should be swapped between the jumper and the battery there.

Using the jumper is "just" and going through all that trouble to get the battery out without breaking anything is for "have to" situations.

Bios

Nodsu said:
I think the "just" and "have to" should be swapped between the jumper and the battery there.

Using the jumper is "just" and going through all that trouble to get the battery out without breaking anything is for "have to" situations.
The main thing to remember is do what the manual tells you to.

Using the jumpers
The canonical way to flash the BIOS via hardware is to plug, unplug, or switch a jumper on the motherboard (for "switching a jumper" I mean that you find a jumper that joins the central pin and a side pin of a group of three pins, you should then unplug the jumper and then plug it to the central pin and to the pin on the opposite side, so if the jumper is normally on position 1-2, you have to put it on position 2-3, or vice versa). This jumper is not always located near to the BIOS, but could be anywhere on the motherboard.
To find the correct jumper you should read the motherboard's manual.
Once you've located the correct jumper, switch it (or plug or unplug it, depending from what the manual says) while the computer is turned OFF. Wait a couple of seconds then put the jumper back to its original position. In some motherboards it may happen that the computer will automatically turn itself on, after flashing the BIOS. In this case, turn it off, and put the jumper back to its original position, then turn it on again. Other motherboards require you turn the computer on for a few seconds to flash the BIOS.
If you don't have the motherboard's manual, you'll have to "brute force" it... trying out all the jumpers. In this case, try first the isolated ones (not in a group), the ones near to the BIOS, and the ones you can switch (as I explained before). If all them fail, try all the others. However, you must modify the status of only one jumper per attempt, otherwise you could damage the motherboard (since you don't know what the jumper you modified is actually meant for). If the password request screen still appear, try another one.
If after flashing the BIOS, the computer won't boot when you turn it on, turn it off, and wait some seconds before to retry.

For Desktops:
Try reset Bios from the main board (usually jumper on Maniboard)
Try clrcmos for clearing out cmos passwords
How to use
Boot to DOS. (using a bootable floppy or CD containing CLRCMOS.
Type clrcmos on the command line and press enter
Works on 99 % of computers

But this thread is 3 and a half years old anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back