Formatted C: on compaq 5000, now can't install XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

frasier

I recently took an old compaq 5000 from a friend that constantly crashed. I formatted the hard drive partitions C and D from the command prompt using the "format x:" command. Now i am having trouble getting my windows XP cd to boot.

Before formatting i made a win98 setup disk, and another setup disk from a different computer of mine that is running XP pro. If i start the computer using a startup disk i can get to the command prompt saying "e:\>" (1st cd-rom drive) but when i try to run the Xp install from with "e:\>setup" it says, invalid application to run in DOS. (P.S. i am attempting to use a XP home backup disk that came with my new dell)

I have also tried changing the bios to boot from the cd-drive first but i just get an "invalid system disk, remove disk and press any key to contirue" error.

The specs of the compaq 5000 are as follows:
Celeron 667mhz
64mb Ram
CD-ROM
CD-RW
floppy drive

any help on this matter would be appreciated

Installing Windows XP from DOS isn't recommeded, but it can be done.

1.) BOOT FROM CD
Your XP CD should boot fine, as I've installed XP on a number of 5000s. When it begins booting, XP setup requires that you press a key to continue. If you don't, after a couple of seconds you'll see the "non-system disk error" message. I am mentioning this in case you are leaving your computer unattended or didn't notice the "press any key to continue setup" message.

2a.) INSTALL FROM DOS DISKETTE
To begin the XP installation from DOS, enter the command D:\i386\winnt.exe at the DOS prompt, after you boot from your 98 diskette. (Please replace D: with the drive letter of your CD-ROM).

2b.) INSTALL SMART DRIVE
Before you begin setup though, I strongly recommend getting ahold of smartdrv.exe from the 98 CD... otherwise this is going to take a loooong time!
If you'd like to get smartdrive on your Windows 98 diskette, it is located on the Windows 98 CD-ROM... So insert your 98 CD (if you have one) while you are booted from the diskette. You can type something like this copy D:\WIN98\smartdrv.exe A: to copy smartdrv.exe to the floppy disk.

Remove the 98 CD, insert the XP CD again and type A:\smartdrv.exe

Now run the setup again using the D:\i386\winnt.exe command and all should be well.

i did what you said and it worked but i have some concerns.
namely some files refused to copy over and i was forced to continue the install without them. The system boots up fine but i haven't really tested it at all.

here is an incomplete list of some of the missing files (about 3/4 listed)

hraidski
aichmgt.inf
aichmgt.cat
aarich.inf
aarich.cat
readme.txt
license.txt
iastor.inf
iastor.cat
iaahci.inf
iaahci.cat
a32dmh.inf
msxm12.dll

these are in "order of appearance" in the setup, but once again it's not a complete list.
can i do without these files?

Unfortunately, there's too many files in Windows for anyone but Bill Gates to know what's needed and what isn't. :)

On second glance though, it looks like most of these files are related to mass storage. What part of the installation for Windows were these files missing from? Was it the ugly, solid blue screen with white text and a progress bar? Or was it the pretty blue screen which lists the different steps involved and shows the Windows XP "propaganda" messages?

It sounds sketchy, but it just might work. ;)

The files that start with I are Intel storage drivers. You can probably get what you need from www.intel.com if those do turn out necessary. Just install their chipset drivers and that should be okay.

frasier said:
i did what you said and it worked but i have some concerns.
namely some files refused to copy over and i was forced to continue the install without them. The system boots up fine but i haven't really tested it at all.

here is an incomplete list of some of the missing files (about 3/4 listed)

hraidski
aichmgt.inf
aichmgt.cat
aarich.inf
aarich.cat
readme.txt
license.txt
iastor.inf
iastor.cat
iaahci.inf
iaahci.cat
a32dmh.inf
msxm12.dll

these are in "order of appearance" in the setup, but once again it's not a complete list.
can i do without these files?
Can i Sqeezze in here, frasier these are part of your BootFiles like iaStor.inf
iaStor.sys,iaStor.cat etc.most oem cd's have them,You have no worry's.

ok, thanks and by the way the files were from the "ugly dos looking installation" whats the significance of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back