Fortnite cheaters got pwned by malware posing as an aimbot

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? Cheaters tend to run rampant in online games, especially ultra-popular titles like PUBG and Fortnite. These unscrupulous losers are worse than an annoyance as they tend to drive legitimate players away from the game. That’s why nobody is going to feel too bad that thousands of Fortnite cheaters have been infected with malware.

Web-based game-streaming platform Rainway reports that on June 26 it began receiving hundreds of thousands of error reports — over 381,000 in fact. The company’s engineering team dug through the logs trying to find the source of the problem. As they sorted through the mess, they discovered that the errors were coming from all sorts of users with different hardware and ISPs. The only thing they seemed to have in common was that they all played Fortnite.

It appeared that some form of malware was attempting to call various ad platforms through the Rainway servers. Since the company whitelists URLs internally, the calls were generating errors and had “the unintended side effect of shining a light on a much broader issue.” It also provide engineers with a URL that they later used to identify the source of the malware.

Sifting through thousands of YouTube videos on Fortnite hacks, and subsequently hundreds of cheat programs, the team finally found a hack that used the URL that kept turning up in its logs. The software claimed to provide the player with an aimbot and a way to generate free V-Bucks (Fortnite’s in-game currency).

"Sometimes the allure of cheating is powerful, and a strong presence is needed to help push people in the right direction."

It was a pretty clever ploy by the malware makers — a way to quickly kill your opponents and get free money in the process would be hard for a cheater to resist. Indeed, the program had already been downloaded 78,000 times by the time Rainway found it.

However, instead of a cheat the hack set up a man in the middle attack. Upon running, the software immediately installs a root certificate on the computer. It then orders Windows to proxy all traffic through itself.

“The adware then began altering the pages of all web request to add in tags for Adtelligent,” said Rainway.

Rainway informed the company hosting the malware and it was immediately removed. It also notified all infected Rainway users of the malware and warned everyone not to download random programs — something that should go without saying.

The company also notes that Epic could do a better job of letting its players know that cheating has severe consequences that go beyond banning and suspensions.

"Sometimes the allure of cheating is powerful, and a strong presence is needed to help push people in the right direction," the company said.

It also feels Epic should put forth an effort to have YouTube videos advertising these hacks taken down. The fake aimbot/V-Bucks malware that it dealt with was just one out of hundreds of cheat programs that it found via YouTube.

It is unfortunate that Rainway was affected by this outbreak, but it is hard to have sympathy for the cheaters who in my opinion got what they deserved.

Permalink to story.

"Sometimes the allure of cheating is powerful, and a strong presence is needed to help push people in the right direction."

I guess a simple sense of fair play is too much to ask these days. Cheaters - tens of thousands according to this article - need "help being pushed in the right direction," says the developer. And this is just one game, and one download. There are probably dozens of different cheat apps that are being used.

That's disgusting on so many levels and why 95% of my gaming is stand-alone.

I guess a simple sense of fair play is too much to ask these days. Cheaters - tens of thousands according to this article - need "help being pushed in the right direction," says the developer. And this is just one game, and one download. There are probably dozens of different cheat apps that are being used.

That's disgusting on so many levels and why 95% of my gaming is stand-alone.

The only true way to avoid it. You got it.. not to play multiplayer games. Console people think they got it better.. maybe it's less common, but people mod their consoles and use them to cheat on games, too. I know someone who modded their xbox to play GTA Online... every time he gets banned he just creates a new game and buys the game again... I COULD NOT BELIEVE HIM, WHEN HE TOLD ME HE'S PURCHASED THE GAME ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES!! The sheer dedication some of these cheaters have... and the people who make the cheats is just amazing to me.

COULD NOT BELIEVE HIM, WHEN HE TOLD ME HE'S PURCHASED THE GAME ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES!! The sheer dedication some of these cheaters have... and the people who make the cheats is just amazing to me.

I guess for some of them it's the only sense of power and control they have in their lives. Like children acting out.

I also don't feel particularly sorry for them, either.

every time he gets banned he just creates a new game and buys the game again... I COULD NOT BELIEVE HIM, WHEN HE TOLD ME HE'S PURCHASED THE GAME ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES!! The sheer dedication some of these cheaters have... and the people who make the cheats is just amazing to me.
This is part of the reason why GTA and, more specifically PUBG, are raking in so much money. A ban isn't a ban as it's only on the account, so it's just a reason to buy the game again. If the ban was on the MAC address you wouldn't see those players back online so quickly. As it's clear that the game manufacturers have no interest in implementing a permanent ban, anything they say about banning cheaters is just PR BS as they are using it to earn even more money.

Regarding this article, we need more of this malware. Release a flood of malware infected cheating programs. Make it so that the cheaters are scared to install anything. Then maybe they'll fade away. If the game manufacturers won't deal with them, then let's encourage the malware writers to target them :)

every time he gets banned he just creates a new game and buys the game again... I COULD NOT BELIEVE HIM, WHEN HE TOLD ME HE'S PURCHASED THE GAME ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES!! The sheer dedication some of these cheaters have... and the people who make the cheats is just amazing to me.
This is part of the reason why GTA and, more specifically PUBG, are raking in so much money. A ban isn't a ban as it's only on the account, so it's just a reason to buy the game again. If the ban was on the MAC address you wouldn't see those players back online so quickly. As it's clear that the game manufacturers have no interest in implementing a permanent ban, anything they say about banning cheaters is just PR BS as they are using it to earn even more money.

Regarding this article, we need more of this malware. Release a flood of malware infected cheating programs. Make it so that the cheaters are scared to install anything. Then maybe they'll fade away. If the game manufacturers won't deal with them, then let's encourage the malware writers to target them :)

You can spoof MAC address quite easily and wouldn't surprise me if they are masked/spoofed by default with the cheating software itself.

Ability to vote kick / report users = best. While CS:GO has plenty of cheaters as well, it has tools to weed them out easily.

COULD NOT BELIEVE HIM, WHEN HE TOLD ME HE'S PURCHASED THE GAME ALMOST A DOZEN TIMES!! The sheer dedication some of these cheaters have... and the people who make the cheats is just amazing to me.

I guess for some of them it's the only sense of power and control they have in their lives. Like children acting out.

They cheat for the same reason people "practice" to get better. They want the endorphin rush that comes from winning. I''d be willing to bet the games with the fewest point systems, rewards, and achievements have the fewest cheaters.

Back