Forum behavior

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
What's with the forums spawning a new tab each time I jump into a thread? Is this new and intended behavior or some sort of glitch? I thought I had a key stuck on my other machine, but when the same thing happened on my laptop I figured I should let you guys know.

For what it's worth, that hasn't been happening to me yet. I'm using Firefox 10.0.2.

Edit: I spoke too soon. I tried using IE 8 on this same XP home 32 bit PC and I do get what LNCPapa gets. But still not with Firefox.

Thanks for your post and letting us know. What browser are you using Papa? Perhaps IE like mailpup? I'm trying to narrow down and hopefully replicate the issue.

On two of my machines using Firefox, Chrome and IE10 I can't replicate this behavior. It is true however we recently added a piece of JavaScript code so that external links are all opened in a new window. Internal links (anything within techspot.com) should open normally, in the active tab/window.

I get the same issue using XP and IE7 (I know... but I can't install an alternative browser at work). Also pops up a new window when I click on next page in the forums.

Works normally at home using the latest FF/Chrome.

This is happening with me and i don't like it :( Even when i select the next page of topics it's opening a new window.

I am using Firefox 10.0.2 on Windows 7 32bit. Hope it gets fixed soon guys.

It works fine on my pc with both firefox and ie. Would the version of Java that each user has have any effect on this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm using an older version of Firefox and it is displaying correctly.

If using a tabbed browser, might check in Tools> Options> Tabs to see if any setting has changed- or if a setting can be chosen to open in same window.

Third machine (at work) using Chrome 18.0.1025.45 beta-m on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit. Everything I click on in the forums spawns another tab including next page. Using JRE 7 u1 (I know... I need to update it). The same thing happens on Firefox 10.0.2 on this machine.

Please update Java: Java Updates . Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs as they are vulnerabilities for the system. Recommended Version 6 Update 31

Remove any earlier entries in Firefox and Chrome also.

Be sure to check all download screens for any pre-check toolbars or BHO> if found, remove the check before the download..

Forums behaving normally for me. Opera 11.61 on OS X.

Also works in Firefox 8.0.1, but FF is now updating. Will update with what happens.

Update: Also seems to be behaving normally for me in FF 10.0.2 (again, OS X).

Please update Java...

My Java's up to date as of today, but a new tab still opens up when clicking a topic. Everything my browser depends on including the browser itself is fully updated and working. I have no stupid toolbars or anything like that. The only website that's changed in the past day on my end is Techspot.

There's nothing wrong on my end, I can assure.

My Java's up to date as of today, but a new tab still opens up when clicking a topic.
Personally didn't expect Java to be a factor as it is not self-evident on the Client side and if used on the Server side (ie jsp pages), the results would be transparent to the browser.

I would verify Internet Options and/or browser settings for New Page behaviors;
some browsers allow the user to set a specific option for New Page, New Tab, and Open in New Tab.

I think Bobbeye only mentioned Java because Papa's was out of date and he sees a ton of malware threads each day, so he just wanted Papa to get an up to date java. Not that it was going to fix the issue with new tabs.

JoBeard said:
I would verify Internet Options and/or browser settings for New Page behaviors;
some browsers allow the user to set a specific option for New Page, New Tab, and Open in New Tab.

Firefox has 6 simple options when it comes to tabs and i haven't changed mine in a long time. I have had a fiddle around with them but nothing changes here.

What has happened has happened on Techspot's side from here, this is a fact.

I've found a difference in behavior on the same machine and browser. If you enter the forums by clicking on "Forums" at the top then you get the desired behavior of a single tab used. If you enter the forums by either selecting "Currently Active Topics" or "Subscribed Threads" then you get the bad (many tabs) behavior. Hope this helps.

Papa, I just left a thread about slow loading of the TechSpot site tonight. Funny thing though- the loading just flew in this forum!

To those concerned with my suggestions:
Yes, keeping Java updated is burned into my soul! A few million hours in the V&M Forum will do that to you!

Mr. Benny, with all due respects: I didn't say the problem was caused by a tab setting- I simply suggested you check it. One learns after a while that sometimes it helps to check the simple things first!

And Mr. Benny and jobeard, I also suggested "If using a tabbed browser, might check in Tools> Options> Tabs to see if any setting has changed- or if a setting can be chosen to open in same window.

Yes, it is daunting when things don't work like they should. And it's helpful to share our experiences.

But frankly, I would consider a Thank You for a suggestion more appropriate, even if it doesn't solve the problem instead of criticizing the suggestion
Complaint_department.gif

I usually open links in new tabs by habit anyway, so I didn't notice the issue as quickly. However the issue seems to be present in Opera 11.61 as well.

Even though the issue is less annoying for me, I thought I would share my findings.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and apologies for the bugs. As always we are trying to do things better but it's inevitable to hit some bumps along the way. Mario uploaded new code about an hour ago that is meant to fix the issue. Please let us know :)

It's working fine on my end now. Thanks guys :)

Bobbye said
Mr. Benny, with all due respects: I didn't say the problem was caused by a tab setting- I simply suggested you check it.

And with all due respects, Mrs Bobbye, I never once did say that you said the problem was caused by tab settings.

I usually open links in new tabs by habit anyway, so I didn't notice the issue as quickly. However the issue seems to be present in Opera 11.61 as well.

Even though the issue is less annoying for me, I thought I would share my findings.

Same here.

I used the Trident (IE) engine in Lunascape and I didn't notice any problem other than excruciatingly slow loading times. Same with IE9.
Java, Flash, SilverLight are all updated to the latest versions.

Back