'Forza Motorsport 6: Apex' is the free-to-play version of Turn 10's racer for the PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of Microsoft's most popular console exclusives is heading to the PC. A slimmed-down version of the latest entry in the Forza Motorsport franchise will arrive later this year, developer Turn 10 has revealed.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex will feature 12 themed racing events and a collection of more than 60 vehicles to choose from (63, to be exact). There will also be a new objective system that'll challenge players to complete skill-based tasks in exchange for in-game currency.

Those familiar with Forza 6 are probably wondering why PC gamers are only getting a fraction of the more than 450 vehicles offered on the Xbox One version. It's simple: Apex will be a free-to-play game supplemented by optional microtransactions.

Before you go crying foul, note this. Design Director Andy Beaudoin told IGN that the game has been built from the beginning to the end not to be a microtransaction-driven game. In earlier Forza games, Turn 10 has given players the option to pay cash for vehicles rather than progress through the game and earn vehicles the "hard way." Microtransactions in Apex will be no different than what was offered in those games, Beaudoin conceded.

It's worth noting that "Drivatars" from the Xbox One version won't carry over to the PC variant. Furthermore, you'll need to know that Apex will be a Windows 10 exclusive. If you're a diehard Forza / driving / racing game fan that hasn't yet made the jump to Microsoft's latest OS, you've now got another yet reason to upgrade.

The fact that another Xbox exclusive is transitioning to the PC (as a Windows 10 exclusive, no less) shouldn't be glossed over. Earlier this month, it was revealed that Xbox One exclusive Quantum Break would also be coming to Windows 10 PCs.

What's more, there are at least a handful of other Xbox exclusives rumored to be making their way to the PC including Gears of War 4, Scalebound and the yet-to-be-announced Forza Horizon 3. Microsoft appears intent on blurring the lines between Xbox One and PC gaming even further, an initiative that can only be seen as a positive for consumers.

Back on the topic of Forza, Beaudoin said the move to PC is just the first step and acknowledged that the best way to learn how to make a game on a platform is to ship a game on it. That said, he noted that future Forza games will "absolutely" be developed concurrently for the Xbox and PC – confirmation that Apex isn't just a one-off experiment designed to try and lure PC games to its console.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex races into the Windows 10 store this spring.

Permalink to story.

The graphics look very cool, I am looking forward to playing this. Hopefully it will look that good and have decent frame rates without having to have the latest and greatest hardware.

In the last shot, the rear end of the car is being lit with a white light, but the asphalt is lit by red. I hate incongruities in lighting like this.
I liked forza mostly for the graphics and paint shop. :) I made a fortune selling paint schemes.
Being a WX game, it'll be a laptop game for me.

Remember when someone snapped a pic at E3 of Forza 5 running on nVidia hardware?
We're nearly there, again...
At last we'll get to see Forza the way it's meant to be seen. Glorious 4K 60hz. Hopefully SLI/CF will be implemented for this title.

I always wanted to take this game for a... ahem, spin if you will but there was no way in this world I was going to waste money on a console to do so. Patience is a virtue after all it seems. Now I just have to wait for Sony to do the same with GT.

As much as you try M$, your still not getting me to update to win 10.. I'll pass, get F6 for my son on console and play there.

As much as you try M$, your still not getting me to update to win 10.. I'll pass, get F6 for my son on console and play there.
Lol yep, its all a clever ploy to get you, once you are assimilated the offers, bonuses, and extras will all suddenly stop. Please keep resisting so the rest of us keep getting more great content.

This is great as I was hoping forza6 would make it to pc so I will most definitely be getting this as I am enjoying 6 on xb1.

Remember when someone snapped a pic at E3 of Forza 5 running on nVidia hardware?
We're nearly there, again...
At last we'll get to see Forza the way it's meant to be seen. Glorious 4K 60hz. Hopefully SLI/CF will be implemented for this title.
No,Glorious 2k is much better at 144hz than 4k at 60hz for racing games.

In the last shot, the rear end of the car is being lit with a white light, but the asphalt is lit by red. I hate incongruities in lighting like this.
I liked forza mostly for the graphics and paint shop. :) I made a fortune selling paint schemes.
Being a WX game, it'll be a laptop game for me.
Yeah they have over done the red tail light but this should be good and much better than on the xb1.Then all the xb1 owners will go when they see like it is still better but they will know it's not and I have an xb1 as well.

I don't know what Microsoft intends to do with the Xbox One, why they are porting games to Windows 10 with the amount of money they have they can produce original games for Windows and Xbox, I'm a playstation owner but c'mon, they are screwing all the gamers that invested in Xbox One, now even the playstation and nintendo owners don't need or wont have to buy a Xbox One... I don't understand...

Back