Foxconn hiring 18,000 workers to build iPhone 5 for June release

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During a recent interview with World Business Satellite via TV-Tokyo, a Foxconn recruiter said the company is hiring 18,000 new employees to help manufacture the next iPhone. The representative went on to say that he believes the device will go on sale around June.

The conversation can be seen here (starts around the 7:10 mark) although the spoken language is Chinese and the translation is said to be in Japanese. Note that the recruiter says it “seems” like it will go on sale around June; not that it is a for-sure thing. As we all know, nothing is solid regarding Apple rumors.

Furthermore, from the video it appears that the camera is off in the distance. It’s possible that the recruiter didn’t know they were being filmed and was simply spouting off inaccurate material to try to get new workers in the door.

A summer launch would mean that the iPhone 4S would have only been the current generation handset for around eight or nine months. This seems somewhat unlikely but then again, most didn’t expect Apple to break the traditional yearly cycle as they did with the iPhone 4S so really, anything is possible.

Of course this isn’t the first we have heard of a summer iPhone 5 launch. In February CNET ran a story suggesting the next gen handset could see the light of day at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The new phone is widely expected to include either a 4-inch or larger display with a wider and longer form factor.

Permalink to story.

Here we go again. You can't BUY the type of publicity that Apple gets with their devices or just rumors of said devices. I know for a FACT that if word got out that researchers found the cure for all types of cancer regardless of stage, it would not get the publicity of the iPhone4S or iPad3 launch.

.........aaaaaand the iPhone 6 will be out around christmas.
Keep wasting your money with minescule changes to the same device while completely roshambo-ing all previous owners by taking fuctionality away from them *coughSiricough*

Next the screen will have a bad bug and they will say "You're looking at it wrong", just like the millions of spiderwebbed i**** products you see pics all over the next "You're dropping it wrong"

So, now they aren't making zombies to recycle their workers.....that is an improvement.

Hey they should build them in the U.S.A.

Those 18,000 jobs would be nice here.. Ya think....

We treat or workers better... In the U.S.A.

:)

@3D

Now you know Apple wont bring those jobs to America. It impacts their bottom line. They would rather pay China and the Chinese workers a pitance then pay American wages. If they brought those jobs to America instead of outsorcing their labor to off shore countries, you would prolly see alot less "Applehate" going around.

This phone should have come out last Fall instead of the crap 4S. Us Iphone 4 owners got screwed on that one. I didnt wait so I got something much better no thanks Apple you took too long with this phone. Galaxy Note 5.3 inches of super amoled goodness you can keep your Iphone 5 now.

Guest said:
Keep wasting your money with minescule changes to the same device while completely roshambo-ing all previous owners by taking fuctionality away from them *coughSiricough*

Next the screen will have a bad bug and they will say "You're looking at it wrong", just like the millions of spiderwebbed i**** products you see pics all over the next "You're dropping it wrong"

The iPhone is one of the best phones out there. All that bullshit you are talking about is old.

And this is coming from a Windows Phone user.

Although tech brands have become nothing but a reflection of our individuality--which have increasingly done nothing but further dampen one's ability to give credit where it's due--, having that in mind, all I'll say to you is you should start to embrace diversity.

I don't know what kind of device you use, but I can assure with the utmost certainty from my part, that I can name you at least 3 negative aspects of it. The same applies to every platform, device, or piece of technology. Turns out, nothing is perfect. I know right?!

The majority of people that buy Apple product do it because they <i>are</i> good products, and people like them. Don't let your "fanboyism" blind you. It is just like this: unknown to many, Microsoft Stores are often times more or just as packed as Apple Stores. I've had people look utterly surprised when they hear people actually go out and buy physical copies of Windows. Or even, at the fact that you could actually take your Windows laptop or desktop to a Microsoft Store and be serviced. Granted there are not as many stores, but this is usually one of the main attack points Apple users use to compare Microsoft's supposed total lack of Windows support.

But no, all you hear and read about is the account from someone here and there on the Internet. Or the "tech" article who was actually written by someone who happened to be lucky enough put up a website, and have enough cash laying around to own tons of smartphones to then "review" them and post them on YouTube (which does <b>not</b> precisely translates to actually being literate in technology). You heard about the "death-grip" and probably never used an iPhone extensively, or else you would know that, aside from the expected cons, it offers a great design and build, OS performance, ecosystem, customer service, and great integration with other Apple products and services.

That's not to say critiquing other platforms' shortcomings is wrong; I, myself, think I am particularly known around here for strongly voicing my opinions on certain things, but completely dismissing the line of devices that literally launched the "era of smartphones" that inevitably caused you to own your current device just for 2 or 3 of its imperfections, and saying the owners and subsequent buyers of the platform--who do so willingly, for the most part--who see some value in spending their hard earned cash however they please are in fact wasting it, is, to put it bluntly, the unadulterated definition of asininity.

There's a bigger reality out there: you, your friends or family are nothing but less than 0.1% of an immeasurably infinitesimal portion the population. So hypothetically, let's say you, your friends or family don't use iPhones, it all really can be mathematically translated to this for much quicker comprehension: there's 311,591,917 persons in this goddamn country, do you think it even remotely matters, quantitatively, that, still hypothetically, everyone you know doesn't have an iPhone? No. There's a quite a few <i>millions</i> that bought it and like it, and some more <i>millions</i> that plan to.

TL;DR

Shut the **** up.

lawfer said:
Guest said:

The iPhone is one of the best phones out there. All that bullshit you are talking about is old.

And this is coming from a Windows Phone user.

Although tech brands have become nothing but a reflection of our individuality--which have increasingly done nothing but further dampen one's ability to give credit where it's due--, having that in mind, all I'll say to you is you should start to embrace diversity.

I don't know what kind of device you use, but I can assure with the utmost certainty from my part, that I can name you at least 3 negative aspects of it. The same applies to every platform, device, or piece of technology. Turns out, nothing is perfect. I know right?!

The majority of people that buy Apple product do it because they <i>are</i> good products, and people like them. Don't let your "fanboyism" blind you. It is just like this: unknown to many, Microsoft Stores are often times more or just as packed as Apple Stores. I've had people look utterly surprised when they hear people actually go out and buy physical copies of Windows. Or even, at the fact that you could actually take your Windows laptop or desktop to a Microsoft Store and be serviced. Granted there are not as many stores, but this is usually one of the main attack points Apple users use to compare Microsoft's supposed total lack of Windows support.

But no, all you hear and read about is the account from someone here and there on the Internet. Or the "tech" article who was actually written by someone who happened to be lucky enough put up a website, and have enough cash laying around to own tons of smartphones to then "review" them and post them on YouTube (which does <b>not</b> precisely translates to actually being literate in technology). You heard about the "death-grip" and probably never used an iPhone extensively, or else you would know that, aside from the expected cons, it offers a great design and build, OS performance, ecosystem, customer service, and great integration with other Apple products and services.

That's not to say critiquing other platforms' shortcomings is wrong; I, myself, think I am particularly known around here for strongly voicing my opinions on certain things, but completely dismissing the line of devices that literally launched the "era of smartphones" that inevitably caused you to own your current device just for 2 or 3 of its imperfections, and saying the owners and subsequent buyers of the platform--who do so willingly, for the most part--who see some value in spending their hard earned cash however they please are in fact wasting it, is, to put it bluntly, the unadulterated definition of asininity.

There's a bigger reality out there: you, your friends or family are nothing but less than 0.1% of an immeasurably infinitesimal portion the population. So hypothetically, let's say you, your friends or family don't use iPhones, it all really can be mathematically translated to this for much quicker comprehension: there's 311,591,917 persons in this goddamn country, do you think it even remotely matters, quantitatively, that, still hypothetically, everyone you know doesn't have an iPhone? No. There's a quite a few <i>millions</i> that bought it and like it, and some more <i>millions</i> that plan to.

TL;DR

Shut the **** up.

Did Not Read LOL

To make an Iphone in the USA. Although it would be awesome it would basically unachievable. Aside from large ticket items, why do you think nothing much is made there any more? Outrageous wage expectations, outrageous benefit programs and crazy demanding unions. Compare the actual cost of ALL the things that go into a product. Materials (and shipping), labour (and benefits) are the two that would 20 FOLD in price if Apple moved to make the phones here. USA workers in that kind of feild would fetch about $30-40 and hour. And on the REAL COST of a benefit package and now its up to $60-80/hr. Then add on the cost of dealing with the unions that would spring up and grap the apple employees, now you are up to $70-90/hr. Now add the time off, the sick days, the lazy days, the fake excuse days, the "I quit" days etc etc, and now you are looking at overtime cost for the ones that do show up for work pushing the REAL END cost to $80-$100 per hour. AND THEN start to add up the costs for retirement packages, 401 k matching contributions ETC ETC ETC ETC.... see how stupid it is to do business in the states? Everyone wonders why no one makes anything there.

All that is JUST with labour. Add the supply chain into the mix of shipping over here since in China, most parts/materials are all right there.

Back