Fragmented Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

I recently compressed my C Drive and I cant seem to defrag any better than 7 fragmented files and 16000 excess fragments. Before I had compressed I would have gotten those excess fragments down to maybe 300 or less. Any idea how I can improve the fragmentation ? I am using diskeeper lite (free version).

WHY IN THE WORLD did you COMPRESS your drive. Windows XP doesn't like that much.

To answer your question, use the paid version.

friend2u said:
I recently compressed my C Drive and I cant seem to defrag any better than 7 fragmented files and 16000 excess fragments. Before I had compressed I would have gotten those excess fragments down to maybe 300 or less. Any idea how I can improve the fragmentation ? I am using diskeeper lite (free version).
This does sound a trifle obsessive compulsive. It may not be what everybody thinks is the best defragmenter but the Windows defrag is at least competent.
Like raybay sort of said, a compressed file is a modified file, do it at your own risk. I leave that box unchecked, it never, ever seems like a good idea.

considering the enormous capacity of most HHD drives today, your fragmentation is quite low. Bear in mind, you'll hardly get 0 fragmentation due to temp files etc,... unless you use more sophisticated techniques like moving temp, swap, and page files to another drive and/or partition.

I would say you're doing fine. Windows defragger is known not to be the most efficient, but it works. If you want better defragging programs there are a plethora of them out there both commerical and FREE.

I wouldn't fuss over any % smaller than 10% You really won't notice an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back