Free games alert: All three BioShock titles available now, Far Cry 4 giveaway next month

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: You'd be forgiven for thinking that the Epic Games Store's Mega Sale gave away its best freebie first when Borderlands 3 was handed out gratis last week, but the next game—or games, to be accurate—are even better: from now until June 2, you can download and keep BioShock: The Collection from the store without paying a penny.

Following the Borderlands 3 giveaway last week, the next free game in the Epic Games Store's Mega Sale is BioShock: The Collection. It comes with the System Shock spiritual successor BioShock, as well as BioShock 2, BioShock Infinite, and all of the single-player DLC packs and expansions released for the games, including Minerva's Den and Burial At Sea.

Depressingly enough, it's been almost 15 years since the first BioShock arrived and added the phrase "Would you kindly?" to the gaming lexicon. But it's still worth a playthrough, especially if you never had the pleasure the first time around.

Sequel BioShock 2 returned us to Rapture a decade after the original's events with more of the same immersive sim gameplay. And while BioShock Infinite was closer to a first-person shooter in many respects, it was still Metacritic's best game of 2013.

The three games along with the mostly excellent DLC and expansions will keep you busy for a lot of hours. The collection is available until June 2 at 8 am PT / 11 am ET, at which point the third freebie in the series of four will be available. The Mega Sale itself, which has plenty of great deals, runs until June 16.

If you're looking out for other free games, there are some great giveaways on Amazon Prime Gaming next month: the still-excellent Ubisoft FPS Far Cry 4 and point-and-click adventure Escape from Monkey Island are just two of those available for nothing.

Permalink to story.

Bioshock (the first one) was a decent game, but the ending was a big letdown. The final fight was simple and the ending was stupid.

Bioshock 2 - I still have a copy of this, unopened.
Bioshock Infinite - I still have a copy of this, unopened.

The letdown of the ending of the first Bioshock put me off from playing the other two games, but I used to just buy PC games (physical copies back in the day) when I came across a game that was priced well. I used to buy PC games at my local Best Buy, Micro Center, Target and GameStop stores - I'd browse the games, buy ones that I might play if they were under $20. I'm still sitting on maybe 2-3 dozen physical games that I never opened and played.

FarCry 4, eh, not really that entertaining. I found it so forgettable I can't remember if I completed the game or not. According to Uplay I put in 12 hours, but I can't remember playing it or beating it.

Last edited:
Far Cry 4 was probably the best of the Far Cry series. Far Cry 3 was good, but Far Cry 4 expanded on the formula and gave you way more gameplay and options. FC5 was just too easy. FC6 was good, but it was easier than FC5.

I really enjoyed the spelunking and the adventure of FC4 most of all. Valley of the Yeti's was good DLC.

The Bioshock series and for me in-particular Infinite, are absolutely incredible. It almost feels like a crime getting such recent master pieces for free. I wonder if there's even an option to give the developer money, since ya know, Epic claim to be on the developers side and all that, it'd be nice to throw them a bone.

I already had a couple Bioshock games in my steam library but I signed up for the free giveaway anyway to complete it...great series.

The Bioshock series and for me in-particular Infinite, are absolutely incredible. It almost feels like a crime getting such recent master pieces for free. I wonder if there's even an option to give the developer money, since ya know, Epic claim to be on the developers side and all that, it'd be nice to throw them a bone.
I mean, they get paid to give it out for "free" on EGS.

Bioshock (the first one) was a decent game, but the ending was a big letdown. The final fight was simple and the ending was stupid.

The letdown of the ending of the first Bioshock put me off from playing the other two games, but I used to just buy PC games (physical copies back in the day) when I came across a game that was priced well. I used to buy PC games at my local Best Buy, Micro Center, Target and GameStop stores - I'd browse the games, buy ones that I might play if they were under $20. I'm still sitting on maybe 2-3 dozen physical games that I never opened and played.

FarCry 4, eh, not really that entertaining. I found it so forgettable I can't remember if I completed the game or not. According to Uplay I put in 12 hours, but I can't remember playing it or beating it.
FC4 was the first of "FC3++++" syndrome that has utterly gutted modern ubisoft titles.

You sound just like me. Why do we do this? Hehehe. I have probably a hundred games I've collected and never played. But it's not my fault anymore. When Epic keeps giving away $50 triple-AAA titles on a weekly basis...why not claim them? I'll never finish my game collection.

Especially, since that is not the goal anyway.

@Rob Thurbon said:
...and point-and-click adventure Escape from Monkey Island...

Escape from Monkey Island is the only game in the series NOT a point-and-click game and a huge disappointment.

Whoever took the series in this direction must be shot with a root-beer gun.

Far Cry 4 was probably the best of the Far Cry series. Far Cry 3 was good, but Far Cry 4 expanded on the formula and gave you way more gameplay and options. FC5 was just too easy. FC6 was good, but it was easier than FC5.

I really enjoyed the spelunking and the adventure of FC4 most of all. Valley of the Yeti's was good DLC.

Did you know that you can unlock the secret ending of Far Cry 4 by doing nothing for the first 5 minutes of the game?

It's hilarious that following the in-game guy's dialogue instructions of doing nothing leads to a secret ending.

Just a question from a novice gamer. What's the best way to play these old games? If a game doesn't support a modern version of Windows, say only up to Windows 7, how do you play it? Is it best to have a dual boot system, use a caddy system with OSs on separate hard drives or can you game using a virtual machine?

Just a question from a novice gamer. What's the best way to play these old games? If a game doesn't support a modern version of Windows, say only up to Windows 7, how do you play it? Is it best to have a dual boot system, use a caddy system with OSs on separate hard drives or can you game using a virtual mac
The best way to play old games is to see if they contain the words "Remastered" in the title. If so, you probably don't need to worry about the original release dates but instead realize they have been "modernized" to run on the latest versions of Windows 11. I'm pretty sure this is the case for the BioShock series. FarCry 4 is left as an exercise for the reader.

This note is at the bottom of the BioShock store page on EGS:

"NOTE: For Windows 10 operating systems and above, requires download and installation of the 2K Launcher to play."

But, it's probably some BS DRM versus anything that's an actual requirement to play the game on modern Windows OSs.

Which is why I sometimes wonder why I am always so anxious to sell off my old hardware. Upgrading hardware all the time comes with pros and cons.

Last edited:
Already own all the Bioshock games, and FarCry 4. I still have the original CDs for the first FarCry. I remember switching that game to OpenGL and the graphics looked way better than DirectX.

Back