Freeze at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollhobbs

OK folks heres what I already tried
1)downloaded and ran WesternDigital diagnostic and it says 0 error's on either 500gig drives
2)ran memtest86 for 2 hrs and it says all 8 gig good-no errors(this is at ram specs).

the problem is when I set ram to specs(DDR2 1066/2.1v/5-6-6-18)I get to the login screen and my keyboard won't work, if I lower the ram to 1000 all of a sudden the keyboard starts working again but sometimes I get a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I thought this was linked to norton but now I'm not so sure.

Any advice??

PS: keyboard is a Merc Stealth

try booting into safe mode and check you Devices in Dev. Man.

or try different keyboard and mouse devices, there must be a confilct...

all so check your event log, in safe mode... that could tell u something is failing.

I reinstalled my OS and have had no BSOD's of freezes and since the only thing I did before the problems started was update to norton internet security 2010 it has to be that...

I am now going to install norton Internet security 2009 since it seemed to be working bug free and see how it works. I don't know if it had anything to do with the keyboard issue but I've read elsewhere about it having issues with other drivers.

So you are saying that you cannot overclock your Ram else the keyboard won't work?
Then why not just keep it standard or default setting and go with that? (Geez you'd think 8Gig would be suffice on its own :rolleyes: )

As for Memtest, you should actually run it for 4 Hrs, as stated here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post653029-21.html

And in regards to Norton (of which I don't use, and wouldn't like to, as it usually has many startups and a large resource on Ram ironically)
You cannot downgrade Norton, as it was already installed with a later version
The only way to downgrade Norton, is by first running the Removal Tool: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Then Restarting

But if you want my thoughts, I'd suggest you try free Avira Antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/ (of which I use)

I was not trying to OC my ram just run it at spec's and after lengthly emails XFX (my MB manufacturer) has let me know that as 1066 is the highest speed ram my MB can use, and it can't handle running 8 gig at 1066 due to instability caused by bandwidth. They suggest either run the ram at 1000 or drop to 4gig and run it at 1066. I have to decided to keep the 8gig in and run it at 1000 since I don't think that 66 difference will make much difference.

Thanks for all the replys, I appreciate all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back