Freezes when playing 3D Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckynbr13

My computer will freeze when playing 3D games such as World of Warcraft and others. This only happens when playing the games, i can open web pages, word documents, and most videos with no problems, but when i open a game i will be playing for no more than 2-3 minutes then the screen freezes. I can hear music in teh background and if u press keys the u can hear the character is doing them but the screen is completely frozen. After a minute or so of this a blue screen will sometimes pop up and other times the game and computer remain frozen untill i restart.
My system is a Dell XPS 400
Intel Pentium D dual core 3.2 ghz
2gb of ram
GeForce 7900 GS graphics card

I have downloaded and installed new drivers to try and fix this problem and it doesn't help. There are other dump files but they are oo big to upload to this sight.

Your first error was an 0x8E:KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue).

The probable cause was cited as ha30x2k.sys which is a Creative audio driver.

The other two errors were 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

In both dumps they cited nv4_disp.dll which is an Nvidia display driver.

* Try updating your audio drivers first.

I updated my audio driver and after start up recieved a Blue Screen. Also all the hardware has been installed in the computer for 2 years now and the problems i have listed just started about a month ago.

The problem cited is ctoss2k.sys which is Creative driver. Have you changed anything recently in your system because both 8E and 7E errors, though they can be caused by faulty drivers, also can be caused by harddware.

No i haven't changed anything excpet udated the drivers. I updated the drivers after the problems started to see if they wold stop, but they haven't.

This picture is an example of the graphics problems I am having. when I restart I have small multi-colored pixels on my wallpaper of my desktop and while comp is started the pixels are also in the background during the dell loading screen and windows loading screen.

Attachments

• WoW.jpg
    WoW.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6
Okay, it appears/sounds like your video card may be dying. I've had it happen to me. It is called artifacting. Check to see if your fan is spinning. Can you monitor your heat because heat can also be a factor.

When you play games a card will especially produce heat because it is under a load. But since this is happening in rebooting something more is going on which explains the 8E errors.

If you haven't already, try to reseat your graphics card because it may not be seated right. Also, again, check your video card's fan. If it isn't spinning you may be able to resolve this by purchasing another fan for your card. If it is spinning then I think it is time for a new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back