Fresh install of Windows XP freezing up solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PC that was experiencing random freeze ups so I attempted a complete reinstall using the OEM image disks. The strange thing is the PC would seem to freeze up at random points in the install. I figured it was a hardware issue, so I laid the case on its side to inspect the hardware. I removed the single RAM stick, re-inserted it and tried the install again, but left the computer on its side to look / listen for any strange noises or smells. The install completed without issue and I ran a PC stress test / burn in to try and force a hardware issue to show. After running the test for a few hours there were still no issues or errors reported.

After this I took the PC back to its original owner and set it up in the normal position to run the software updates. To my surprise the machine locked up solid again. I haven't attempted the software install with the PC in the laying down position, but it would almost appear that the machine doesn't like to be standing up.

Has anyone ever seen this issue, or heard of a PC that has problems when it is standing in the normal position ?

Update PC ran fine for 12 hours and installed updates without issue with it laying on the side panel instead of standing up. This thing has got me, any ideas on what could be causing the machine to freeze when it is sitting in the normal upright position ?

Have you ran Memtest & a Hard Drive Diagnostic?

If that passes, then it may well be that the Motherboard is failing.

I'm pretty sure that the "Laying Down" bit is unrelated.

are the add on cards screwed in well, if these cards are loose in the PCI slots, they can cause the machine to lockup, reboot, short out because it's suddenly "being" disconnected, also check for loose capacitors on motherboard as when lying down no issues but standing the capacitors are now "sideways" and can have a loose one which means replace mobo.

After this I took the PC back to its original owner and set it up in the normal position to run the software updates. To my surprise the machine locked up solid again. I haven't attempted the software install with the PC in the laying down position, but it would almost appear that the machine doesn't like to be standing up.

Has anyone ever seen this issue, or heard of a PC that has problems when it is standing in the normal position ?
Have you ran Memtest & a Hard Drive Diagnostic?

If that passes, then it may well be that the Motherboard is failing.

I'm pretty sure that the "Laying Down" bit is unrelated.

Well, when the computer is laying on its side the HDD's platters are spinning vertically, and when you stand it up normally they spin horizontally. That gives one pause to wonder about what effects bearing wear and gravity could possibly have on the drive's behavior.

If laying down the pc works that suggests only one thing. Somehow the connections of the motherbard got loose.
o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back