Fried HDD and 2 DVD drives and need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title says almost all but several more things to add. I installed another hard drive and everything was fine until I turned the computer off. When I turned it back on, no hard drive detected in bios again. The hdd's still spin up, but cannot be detected by mobo. Checked power supply while running and all is okay.
The mobo is a p4b533-v that my brother was having trouble getting started. I had it working good for about a month and then, well, here I am. Any suggestions on locating the problem would be greatly appreciated.

This is a very old Motherboard
It was first released in May 2002

It has a 478 Chipset with AGP 4X slot and only ATA connection to Hard Drive

Personally I'd say throw away :D

But if you are determined, try placing the little jumper on the back of the Hard Drive to either M for master or CS for Cable Select (try one then the other)

If it still doesn't work, try replacing the IDE Data cable, that connects to the Hard Drive
Also make sure that the CD Drive has its own IDE Data Cable, or even just remove the CD IDE cable, in case it's causing problems.

But I prefer the throw away idea ;)

Oh here's your manual too: http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4b533-v/e1006_p4b533-v.pdf

Note: It is possible that the old Motherboard just can't recognize the new Hard Drive
You could also run "Setup Defaults", check in your manual howto do this

Thanks for the reply kimsland! I have several other computers and have checked everything out with the exception of throwing it away (My next step). The hard drive(s) are not recognised by another computer as well. I just cannot help but think psu is the culprit.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back