FSB vs Processor speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPCE_Larry

What would be faster, a 2.4ghz cpu with a 1066mhz fsb or a 3.4ghz processor with an 800mhz fsb? Is the fsb capable of being overclocked? Which effects overall speed more?

In my opinion, the 2.4GHz CPU would be faster than the 3.4GHz, and especially in the case of an Intel Core 2 Duo vs. a Pentium 4 or Pentium D. If the FSB is low but the CPU is high, that might not make that much of a difference, cuz even if the CPU speed is that high, the FSB might not be able to do the stuff that it needs to do fast enough to keep up with the CPU.

What processors are they (Intel Pentium 4, D, etc)? Also, welcome to Techspot :wave: !

Thanks, this website has been very helpful so far.

The 3.4ghz one is a Pentium D 950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116240)

The other one i'm looking at is a 2.13ghz core 2 duo. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004)

Both get good reviews, although it appears that the second processor overclocks more easily, again judging by reviews. I hear intel plans on cutting prices on a lot of the core 2 duo's after the end of january, so i'll wait until then before deciding anything deffinite. I'm more curious now to see if I really should try to go for 1066 over 800.
Also, I've seen some AMD processors that have a huge fsb speed, and a mediocre cpu speed. How well do those line up compared to a core 2 duo?

Welcome to Techspot!!

The second processor will ABSOLUTELY DESTROY the Pentium D :)
And the fsb can be overclocked. Just check your BIOS, and increase the fsb speed. It will raise the processor and FSB speed.

Regards :wave:

Wolfram's right, the Intel Core 2 Duo is much more powerful than the Pentium D, and is a pretty good overclocker, although overclocking won't be neccesary. The 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo is not even equivalent to most processors. It's performance rating is ~6.0-6.5GHz (I think).

cfitzarl said:
Wolfram's right, the Intel Core 2 Duo is much more powerful than the Pentium D, and is a pretty good overclocker, although overclocking won't be neccesary. The 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo is not even equivalent to most processors. It's performance rating is ~5.5GHz.
Hey, I've been wondering - what IS performance rating? MY X2 3800+ is rated at 5.7GHz and I'm really getting confused =/

agi_shi said:
Hey, I've been wondering - what IS performance rating? MY X2 3800+ is rated at 5.7GHz and I'm really getting confused =/

It's the performance that the proccessor acts at. For the single core AMD's, the model number is the performance rating. I have an Athlon 64 3500+ and it's performance rated at 3.5GHz. My friend has an Athlon XP 3200+ and his is performance rated at 3.2GHz.

venger417 said:
my pentium D 3.4ghz idles at 68C..
Something isn't right then. The Intel spec sheets for the 800 and 900 series Pentium D processors don't even show anything higher than 68C , and thats drawing 130 watts when a 3.4Ghz stock Pentium D draws 95.

So you've either improperly installed your heatsink, or you have a defective sensor.

Edit: Reread your post, you may have had a bad board to begin with if it was picking up the thermal sensor ON the processor as that high.

where do I find out performance ratings for processors? How well does an amd processor of roughly equivelant price $220 compare to the 2.13ghz core 2 duo?

agi_shi said:
Gah, you have the same stock speed as me and mine is only rated at 4.6 GHz according to sandra... :( :( :( :( :(

MetalX said:
Gah, you have the same stock speed as me and mine is only rated at 4.6 GHz according to sandra... :( :( :( :( :(
Uhh... Ok...

But what exactly does the rated speed mean? If it has no actual meaning whatsoever then it's just a useless number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back