Fusion-io unveils 80GB ioXtreme PCI Express SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Fusion-io is launching a new “Fatal1ty” branded product as they deliver an enthusiast-oriented PCI Express solid state drive. The ioXtreme SSD will make use of the PCI-E x4 interface and bear a non-volatile 80GB capacity based on MLC NAND technology.

It is reported that the card boasts an HD Tach of 520MB/s, which effectively doubles the score of the almighty Intel’s X25-M 80GB – the best drive in our recent SSD roundup. The card’s MTBF is estimated at over 2 million hours and is planned to start shipping next month for $895.

Permalink to story.

Too expensive right now....nice to have though..

Message to Fusion-io : How about sending me one to test out !!!

$895 bucks!? For 80 Gig?

I think I'll stick with SATA for awhile.

But, this is a very cool step forward with the tech.

QUOTE: fastvince - "Message to Fusion-io: How about sending me one to test out!!!" QUOTE OUT

Me too!

I just bought an Intel X-25 off new Egg for $280 bucks. It screams, and it's IOPS that count for OS configs. I think Fusion has a long way to go...

RW

Fusion-IO's technology does not only deliver massive bandwidth, it also delivers IOPS and accesstimes on the level of RAM SSDs, but with the capacity of a small harddrive or SSD.
This is clearly meant for upper end enthusiasts, gamers with deep pockets, or possibly professionals working at home. If it becomes bootable by august/september i think i will buy one :)

Ruff on the pockets, but you could probably cut back on other expensive components to balance the cost out a little. It has lots of applications that would benefit from the I/O performance alone.

900 USD for 80GB is not half bad for someone who does content creation, an extreme gamer, or even for a small media server. The price is high!, but still reasonable given current market for solidstate drives.

Glad to see that at least some people are actually realizing the potential of such a drive instead of creating new and creative ways to express how expensive such a drive is...

This thing is much cheaper than any other PCIe comparable drive, much faster than the 4 drive arrays people keep putting together for twice the price, and 80 GB is plenty for installing your OS and watching your system boot in seconds instead of minutes and applications actually be responsive. I have 2GB of DDR2 1066Mhz RAM, a QX9650 ($1400 3.0GHz Quad CPU) and a standard 7200RPM HDD. I'm running Windows 7 on the non-linux side of the hard drive, and 7 (nearly fresh install) takes like a minute to boot and when I see the desktop and open firefox, it can take like 30 seconds to open... This wouldn't be even close to a problem with the ioXtreme. This means it would be a huge improvement (possibly more than the difference in loading times you'd see between a 2.4Ghz dualcore and my CPU) yet would cost a lot less than the CPU. It'll also help out with the speed of the VMs I run...

Of course they have to become bootable before that happens, but hopefully that won't take too long...

To Guest nov8/9.48am, this is what I keep telling people as well - it's a worthwhile investment for a PC especially if you're looking to upgrade to a completely new system. Speed actually does matter.

For your personal situation with the nice setup you have I'd strongly recommend you to get an OCZ Vertex or Intel X25 which you can get for around $250/E200 , it's a shame to see a great system being bottlenecked by archaic hard disks :)

.. And to those who keep on regurgitating the same monologue "oh but it's so expensive!" , you don't have to buy the most expensive SSD model to get a great performance boost. Even if you go for the 30 GB SSD it will still mean Vista/7 will boot blazingly fast compared to a traditional 7200rpm hdd setup. I love my SSD to 'bits'.

That is if they make it bootable which I don't see in any foreseeable future. They have been postponing the boot option since 2009 and till now it's still haven't been announced.

You can choose to sit and wait of course for them to keep their word.

I think personally fusion-io would like to keep their 'image' in a way to have these drives available to a selected few people and having that bootable option out of the package means that they are targetting 'real' world users who would use the drive as it's should be used - Data/server crunching operations.

What would a potential buyer thinks if you're recommending him a drive for his multi-million or multi-billion company which is the same drives as some kid down the road who is using it in his gaming rig.??

Personally I do wish the company do wake up and really fix that boot issue and to open their market to potential household buyers. I personally would use one as their the pioneers in SSD drives.

To Fusion-IO, forget your exclusivity in this fact and focus on the big market potential. The department of defense DID purchase 2200 sets of playstation 3 to be hooked up as their supercomputers. They weren't bothered to the fact that their ever serious, life threatening, every day work depends on calculations done on a game console which is being used by kids all over the world.

If it works, they wont complain as long it serves its purposes...
Why don't you sit on that for a while fusion-io...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back