Galaxy Fold redux breaks in just 27 hours

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: It’s entirely possible that this is little more than an unfortunate coincidence although given the device’s history, the odds aren’t in that theory’s favor. With the handset now available to the masses, we’ll know soon enough whether or not this is an isolated incident.

Samsung’s revised Galaxy Fold smartphone is out today in the US. In a recent piece, I advised waiting at least a week or two before parting with $1,980 in order to gauge the durability of Samsung’s foldable flagship. One day in and well, things aren’t looking so hot.

Brian Heater with TechCrunch received a review unit directly from Samsung. After roughly 27 hours with the device, however, he noticed a “brightly colored, amorphous blob” in the center of the screen. That’s right, after just over one day with the new Galaxy Fold, the screen was already broken. Sound familiar?

The damage to the review unit is minimal compared to what happened to the first wave of samples months ago, but it is damage nevertheless. Considering Heater didn’t drop the phone, dunk it in water or even “feed it after midnight,” that’s not reassuring.

Heater surmises that pressing the display to close the device caused the damage. In its defense, Samsung warns against applying pressure to the screen. “Just use a light touch,” the company notes in its “Caring for your Galaxy Fold” video.

Images courtesy TechCrunch

Permalink to story.

Heater surmises that pressing the display to close the device caused the damage. In its defense, Samsung warns against applying pressure to the screen. “Just use a light touch,” the company notes in its “Caring for your Galaxy Fold” video.
I think we are back to basics, this can't happen on any device, much less one that's premium priced.

Ahh yes, I forgot Apple was your Deity. Fortunately Apple is not the topic in this discussion.

apple's R&D department actually tests stuff...you know...BEFORE they release it.

They can't anticipate morons sitting on their phones and bending them or letting their underachieving children put them in toilets... but for the most part, Apple has never had a release as lackluster as the Fold.

You can say what you want. I invest with the best.

Ahh yes, I forgot Apple was your Deity. Fortunately Apple is not the topic in this discussion.

apple's R&D department actually tests stuff...you know...BEFORE they release it.

They can't anticipate morons sitting on their phones and bending them or letting their underachieving children put them in toilets... but for the most part, Apple has never had a release as lackluster as the Fold.

Apple. Yesterday's tech at tomorrow's prices.

If you invest in the best you invest in bleeding edge technology. Apple doesn't create anything using such technology. They use tried and tested well established components for better or for worse.

I'll give you points there, this fold fiasco has been a disaster for Samsung.

Samsung charges premium prices, I expect their products to work.

A folding screen developing a defect within hours of first use? Who would have guessed it... Oh right, I did.

Samsung charges premium prices, I expect their products to work.
Exactly. And if it doesn't, they had better be willing to replace it at no additional fee.

So once again Samsung, I hold my middle finger up to you!

Apple had more gates than I do around my yard. People who repair them know they are terribly designed, sometimes on purpose.

If Apple was racing to create a folding phone, I bet they’d perfect it.

but they aren’t and they won’t.

They’d “perfect” it once every major phone maker had made folding phones work successfully for 5 years, and then claim the innovation prize anyways. Same strategy, different iPhone line.

Apple aren't entirely guilt-free with respect to this - e.g. the antennae issue with the iPhone 4 was definitely a case of not testing across all possible means of using/holding the phone; the remote for Apple TV also smacked of having limited hands-on (pardon the pun) testing; and most recently, Macbook keyboards. I have no doubt that they all passed engineering level testing, but they definitely didn't fully pass general consumer testing. Of course, none of these issues are quite the same as spending nearly $2000 on something that fails almost immediately, even after a redesign.

Apple aren't entirely guilt-free with respect to this - e.g. the antennae issue with the iPhone 4 was definitely a case of not testing across all possible means of using/holding the phone; the remote for Apple TV also smacked of having limited hands-on (pardon the pun) testing; and most recently, Macbook keyboards. I have no doubt that they all passed engineering level testing, but they definitely didn't fully pass general consumer testing. Of course, none of these issues are quite the same as spending nearly $2000 on something that fails almost immediately, even after a redesign.

so naturally, the first thing every apple hater does is reach all the way back to the iPhone 4 - which I owned by the way - in order to bolster their weak arguments.

I never owned a new Mac laptop so I didn't have this issue...but they handled it - and it still was nowhere near as big of a flop as the Fold.

My belief is they actually don't want to sell them - or they want to sell as few as possible now that they know they are a flop.

How about you attack something more recent from the 6 Plus upwards?

I insist...with the exception of *****s sitting on their phones or giving them to their underperforming children to break....apple's build quality is impeccable.

I will continue to buy Apple iPhones.

And that is all.

so naturally, the first thing every apple hater does is reach all the way back to the iPhone 4 - which I owned by the way - in order to bolster their weak arguments.

I never owned a new Mac laptop so I didn't have this issue...but they handled it - and it still was nowhere near as big of a flop as the Fold.

My belief is they actually don't want to sell them - or they want to sell as few as possible now that they know they are a flop.

How about you attack something more recent from the 6 Plus upwards?

I insist...with the exception of *****s sitting on their phones or giving them to their underperforming children to break....apple's build quality is impeccable.

I will continue to buy Apple iPhones.

And that is all.
Given that I've owned an iPhone since 2008 and will almost certainly always will do, I certainly wouldn't class myself as an 'Apple hater' (quite the opposite) but you wouldn't have been aware of that. I'm simply pointing out that they have released products with issues, despite them undergoing a huge amount of R&D and testing. Note that I did point out that none of these problems are the same as the issue that Samsung are facing with the Galaxy Fold, but let me clarify what I meant by that; to me, it's understandable, and somewhat forgivable, for any large technology company to release a new product with flaws, even serious ones, when it's going with a new design. It's considerably less forgivable for the same company to suspend sales of said product, revise it, and then still have problems with it.

Given that I've owned an iPhone since 2008 and will almost certainly always will do, I certainly wouldn't class myself as an 'Apple hater' (quite the opposite) but you wouldn't have been aware of that. I'm simply pointing out that they have released products with issues, despite them undergoing a huge amount of R&D and testing. Note that I did point out that none of these problems are the same as the issue that Samsung are facing with the Galaxy Fold, but let me clarify what I meant by that; to me, it's understandable, and somewhat forgivable, for any large technology company to release a new product with flaws, even serious ones, when it's going with a new design. It's considerably less forgivable for the same company to suspend sales of said product, revise it, and then still have problems with it.

R&D is NEVER perfect. That's why R&D exists.

But I'll still take apple build quality over the competition any day of the week.

Iphone 4 "you're holding it wrong"

Iphone 6s battery packs

Bendgate

Iphone SE reception in general

I mean, really bud? "apple actually tests their stuff"....... I dont even know what to say.

I mean, really bud? "apple actually tests their stuff"....... I dont even know what to say.

Need I mention the Galaxy 7 that was exploding so frequently the airlines specifically said you couldn't bring one on the plane?

This Fold is a perfect example of how lame these apple wannabees are. They rush trash to market and this time it backfired.

Apple isn't perfect, but the competition isn't even worth looking at.

What will they rush to market next?

Need I mention the Galaxy 7 that was exploding so frequently the airlines specifically said you couldn't bring one on the plane?

This Fold is a perfect example of how lame these apple wannabees are. They rush trash to market and this time it backfired.

Apple isn't perfect, but the competition isn't even worth looking at.

What will they rush to market next?

Probably a phone that detonates if you press too hard.

Two simple statements. "Bendgate" and "You're holding it wrong."

Back