Game framerate issue (including WoW)!

Hello and welcome to my thread, fellow techies!

I have problem.

It is not a small problem either.

I have extremely low frame rates that I shouldn't be receiving, from games like WoW (Epic Nerd I know).

I shall post my specifications here.

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series - 4350
4 GB DDR2 RAM, 2x 2gb Slots.
Pentium Duel Core CPU, 2.7 GHZ, Overclocked to 3ghz.
P5G41C-M LX Motherboard.
500 GB HD, 275 GB Free.

If you need more info, just ask.

Need more info :p , like what frames are you getting and where? You should always be experiencing your lowest frames in places like Dalaran or 25man instances with intense boss fights.

WoW may be an older game but they have been updating it consistently and if I'm not mistaken did a pretty good overhaul with the latest patches to get ready for Cataclysm. Your system is running a low-end video card and an older CPU so it might not be so unusual. If this is something that just occurred with the latest patches double check that your previous settings are still the same and lower them if necessary. Turn off options like v-sync and shadows, mess around to see if anything improves your performance. Check to see if any addons are the reason for the slowdown by turning them off one by one, or even delete the WTF folder and see the results (back it up first). Worst case scenario here is that Blizzard updated the game to a point that your hardware is now struggling with it, and if that is the case you'll likely need an upgrade. A new video card would be the best place to start imo.

I would go higher in graphics cards. Try the nVIDIA GTS 450 or GTX 550 Ti. Depends on what your PSU (power supply) wattage is, 400watt or more. The cards mentioned are for 400watt minimum, which is my PSU.

others are right, your system isn't powerful enough to say "I shouldn't be getting these framerates". In certain areas of games such as WoW, framerates can drop to abysmally low levels on a low power set-up such as yours (not trying to offend). Either put all your settings to low, avoid problem areas in games (ie cities in WoW), or build a new computer.

Tip: Don't just buy a new graphics card. The other components of your system are out of date, and it would be more beneficial to just build/buy a new system

Back