Game of Thrones is over: Fans react on Twitter, season 8 remake petition passes a million...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: It’s fair to say that the latest season of Game of Thrones hasn’t pleased everyone. Such is the disappointment felt toward the episodes, some fans have started a petition demanding a complete remake of season eight—and over 1.1 million people have signed it at the time of writing. Then again, the game is over and with it, fans reactions all over. Here are some of the best tweets we could find after the finale aired on HBO.

While GoT still retains a 91 percent overall rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the eighth season sits at just 71 percent. The three episodes before the finale—The Long Night, The Last of the Starks, and The Bells—all received some of the worst scores in its eight years on air, with The Bells awarded a ‘Rotten’ rating of 48 percent.

Viewers have complained about the latest episodes destroying years of character development, containing rushed plots, and featuring some poor writing. We've even seen fans abuse Google algorithms to link the search term 'bad writers' to photos of the show's creators.

The Change.org petition organizer believes the problem comes from the fact that the show has passed George R.R. Martin’s books. “David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (I.e. the books) to fall back on,” it reads.

"This series deserves a final season that makes sense. Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!" Despite the negativity, a record number of people are watching the final season. HBO said The Bells attracted 18.4 million viewers across all its platforms.

Not everyone dislikes the latest episodes, of course; a lot of viewers are enjoying them. One famous defender is Stephen King, who says part of the problem is that people don’t want any ending.

With each episode costing around $15 million to create, don’t expect to see a season eight remake—even with the petition fast closing in on its one million signatures target.

Permalink to story.

I'm a huge GoT fan. I was watching it back when it had a very niche audience in the first season. I'm happy to report I have loved this last season and all these sourpuss people are just mad because it's not ending how they wanted it to.

They are NEVER going to remake the last season, even if the Pope himself signs it. Get over it.

I'm a huge GoT fan. I was watching it back when it had a very niche audience in the first season. I'm happy to report I have loved this last season and all these sourpuss people are just mad because it's not ending how they wanted it to.

They are NEVER going to remake the last season, even if the Pope himself signs it. Get over it.
I don't think the point of the petition is to remake the last season, but to aware HBO not to do stupid writings, plots and poor post productions in the series to come. I believe they could do it so much better, still, enjoyed watching it!

Now, let's look at it objectively...

tenor.gif

As for the actual remake, here's a little spoiler...

sWUEhqm.gif

And while you are waiting for the remake, how about a little G.O.T tetris?...

JampackedDetailedAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I'm happy to report I have loved this last season and all these sourpuss people are just mad because it's not ending how they wanted it to.

No one gets to decide "why" other people think differently. The vast majority of people complaining aren't calling out the major direction of the plot, they're calling out how that direction is implemented. Characters becoming caricatures of their former selves, carefully woven plots giving way to deus ex machina, heroes in danger becoming immortal, dialogue and character decisions feeling totally out of place and downright bizarre. Other parts have either been left unexplained or just flat-out ignored.

The TV show was always a hit because every aspect was carefully crafted and - generally speaking - you could expect 50 minutes of consistently good television each week. For most of this season we've gotten about 15 minutes of good television each week with the rest 'mixed' at best. Yes, this season is suffering from immense expectations, but those expectations were set high because earlier seasons really were *that* good.

I don't know how people didn't see this coming...I mean they literally foreshadowed the Red Keep destroyed (burned down, ash/snow falling all-around) in Season 2 when Dany gets her dragons stolen in Qarth by the warlock and she has to rescue them from the House of the Undying...

So what if she went a little Trogdor and burninated the peasants.

I started watching this show out of boredom and now I just keep watching to see how it wraps up, I'm not by any means invested or obsessed over it like many people, it is deranged how some people take this show so seriously. This last season is so bad I laughed at it, I can't see how anyone can defend it, then again, it's not something I would lose my **** over.

You can always just read the last book. Btw they are making like 3 spin off prequel tv shows to GOT.

You can always just read the last book. Btw they are making like 3 spin off prequel tv shows to GOT.
Lol... no you can't.... cause Martin hasn't finished it - and since he's never finished a series in his life, it's gonna be a tall order for him to do so with this one (it's been YEARS between books people!!) - of course, that wheelbarrow full of money they dumped on his front lawn might be the incentive he needs...

As for "remaking" season 8... Not going to happen... For those clueless fools out there, for a network, there is only ONE deciding factor in whether a TV show is good - its RATINGS! And the ratings are through the roof, so HBO will be quite content with this season.

And as has already been reported, this isn't "the end" of the Game of Thrones universe - there will be prequel series... and if successful, I'm sure there will be series set after the events of this series as well...

The best part, for HBO, is that they can use different actors - who will be far cheaper - and probably get similar ratings... hence more profits!

I think a better ending, considering such a compressed time frame, would have been to let the Night King win and then show the fallout and pockets of resistance over the next few episodes setting it up for a future spin off.

Alright we get it; final season of Game of Thrones hasn’t exactly been the best one.

It’s the worse case scenario for everyone and it’s a bad situation because the actors have had to work with what they were given and it’s unfair to the fans because we care about the story and the characters involved.

With that being said, the negativity is exhausting, unhealthy, and unnecessary; the ending is not great. But I feel as though everyone deserves to have their own experience.

Watch it
Feel it
Process it however you have to and don’t let others’ opinions shape your own.

There isn’t a single Game of Thrones fan that should let the ending of the series ruin the experience we’ve all gone through over the course of eight years.

Could the show have been better? If the writers had taken their time with the last season and not rushed ahead with character arcs and creating plot twists that either made no sense or were undeserving, than yes.
I’ll admit, I’m also upset on how the final season has turned out.
However, as unfair as it is to the fans for not get the ending we wanted, it’s more unfair to ask HBO to bring back the cast and crew to make a “do-over” season with better writers just because it didn’t please everyone. (Even the cast members admitted in separate interviews that they were also disappointed in how the series ended).

Instead of criticizing Game of Thrones on how it’s ending should have been handled, let’s just be appreciative and thankful to the directors, crew members, and especially the cast for making this show as memorable as possible over the past 8 years.

I watched the show from the beginning. Has anyone else noticed the amount of attention the show has gotten in the last season? Where has all the chatter been for the last 7 years? Too many bandwagon fans who binged the last 7 seasons probably missing some of the key story development.
"If, tomorrow, I tell Cersei that, like, a peasant will get killed, or a regiment of Lannister army will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all 'part of the plan'. But when I say I'll burn the whole city of Kings Landing and everyone in it, well then everyone loses their minds!"

Nothing displays the entitled, spoiled generation quite like those who review movies and shows.

I watched the show from the beginning. Has anyone else noticed the amount of attention the show has gotten in the last season? Where has all the chatter been for the last 7 years? Too many bandwagon fans who binged the last 7 seasons probably missing some of the key story development.
"If, tomorrow, I tell Cersei that, like, a peasant will get killed, or a regiment of Lannister army will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all 'part of the plan'. But when I say I'll burn the whole city of Kings Landing and everyone in it, well then everyone loses their minds!"
What's so funny this has been coming since like the first or 2nd season. Just cause people don't remember doesn't change anything.
I personally have no issue with how the show is ending. I wish it was continuing rather than ending but all good things come to a end at some point.
There will be a prequel. Who knows maybe years later we will see another version of GoT, seen years after the events at King's Landing. Yes, it wont be the same but that's also the point.

Let's see if My Little Pony's last season ends better than GoT. It would be fun to watch the bronies lose their **** like the GoT fans.

NO SPOILER:

I saw it too and I think what I saw makes total legit sense with what happened in the last episode. Every action dane and that soldier took made sense. John's action and behavior made sense too...everything. IN other words, totally predictable and I did think it made sense. Did I saw made sense too much

I do not think calling people names and making assumptions yourself is much of a counter argument. How about this, you not assume their motives and let them do them. No one should be attacked for liking a season just like no one should be attacked for disliking it.

Back