Game OS and Office OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the 3DS Forums :)

I used to have a Dual boot Win98 ( games ) / Win2K ( office, programming compilers, mail managers, etc ... ) but I now I completely migrated to Win2K. It was so annoying having to reboot the system & boot into Win98 just to play some games.

If you use win2K, you might loose some fps & some games might be a pain getting to run smoothly on Win2K/XP especially old games, but in the end everything works fine ( I even ran Duke Nukem 3D on it :D ). You also get better memory management & in some games you can really notice the difference ( Anarchy Online anyone ;) ).

If your gaming machine has more then 256mb of ram, forget Win98 ( or even ME ). Go straight to win2k. Here's a little utility that allows to fix the Refresh rate Probem with Win2K/XP -> Refresh Rate Fix. Just make sure you are running drivers under 27.41, it doeesn't work with those due to Registry changes by nVIDIA.

I have to go with XP on this one. Sure 98SE is the best for gaming, so if you don't mind dual booting then I would go with that. But, for all around performance it has to be XP.

It is built on the Windows 2000 kernel and loads almost 50% faster! I think it is more stable and faster than Win2000 ever was. Plus, Office has tons of new features!!!

I've played plenty of games on my XP Pro and not had any problems with FPS or lag or anything like that.

Just my 2 cents though...

I would have to agree with Super, I have dual booted before from 98/me/and 2000, and now have XP and would not give it up. I have used several games and bought several "budget" games that where not intended for 2k and they all work fine on my XP.

I use win98 for all my gaming and win2000 for everything else. I wish my games would run better under win2000 since I like the fact that it's a stable OS and won't bring down the system if my game should crash.

I use win98 for all my gaming and win2000 for everything else. I wish my games would run better under win2000 since I like the fact that it's a stable OS and won't bring down the system if my game should crash.

I agree with the rest about Win2k/XP. If you don't mind losing a few FPS, then stick with 2k/XP; you'll learn to love it.

Like yourself, I was dual booting as well. I kinda got rid of the habit after being in Win2k for a while and forgot about Win98.

BTW, what kinda games do you usually play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back