Garmin announces the Fenix 6 Series GPS smartwatch with solar charging

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Garmin has announced the next generation of its GPS smartwatch, the Fenix 6 Series, that’s led by a flagship model with solar charging. With a starting price of $1,149.99, however, the company could struggle to move the high-end unit. Fortunately, there are lesser models that exclude solar charging starting at $599.99.

The appropriately named Fenix 6X Pro Solar Edition is the company’s first GPS watch to feature solar charging. It uses a transparent solar charging lens called Power Glass to help boost battery life – up to 24 days in smartwatch mode and 16 hours in GPS mode.

Elsewhere, you’ll find a 51mm case with a 1.4-inch sunlight-readable display that’s 36 percent larger than Fenix 5X models. It’s constructed of titanium and ships with a vented titanium band but it’s really the software features that set the Fenix 6 Series apart from traditional, non-fitness-focused smartwatches.

Garmin’s Dynamic PacePro feature helps runners stay on pace with grade-adjusted guidance while the heart rate and Pulse Ox sensors add additional insight to activities. The Body Battery Energy Monitor uses heart rate variability, stress, sleep and other metrics to gauge when you might be ready to be active or when it’s best to rest.

The ClimbPro ascent planner provides real-time information including gradient, distance and elevation gain to help with current and upcoming climbs. ABC sensors, including an altimeter for elevation data, barometer to monitor weather and three-axis electronic compass, will be immensely useful for outdoor types. Garmin has even baked in ski maps that show run names and difficulty ratings for more than 2,000 resorts around the globe and CourseView maps for more than 41,000 golf courses.

Garmin’s new GPS smartwatch starts at $599.99 for a base model although if you want all the bells and whistles that come along with the Solar Pro Edition, be prepared to shell out $1,149.99. They're available to order from today.

Permalink to story.

Beware: What Garmin does not disclose is that Garmin REQUIRES you to upload all of your personal information to the internet for watch functionality. There is no other way to access your data on 95+% of its features. I unfortunately bought a 5s without knowing this. Their support line are real jerks when trying to get help. They will try to convince you to give up your data.

Not only is this a huge privacy concern, but even if you feel like letting them sell your data, your watch functionality is dead if you go somewhere without cell service. You would think that a company such as this would allow you to track your own data without internet connectivity. So much for catering to the people who would benefit from it most - when camping/hiking out in the wilderness. For many years I wanted to work there. Glad I did not. So much for being an "outdoor" and "technology" company. LOL, SMH

I bought two Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk Atomic Time watches. I really loved them up until my Applewatch replaced them on my arm. They both had solar power recharging and you could literally sit them near the window. It's great for people who go on hikes and mountain climbing or camping.

I bought two Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk Atomic Time watches. I really loved them up until my Applewatch replaced them on my arm. They both had solar power recharging and you could literally sit them near the window. It's great for people who go on hikes and mountain climbing or camping.
I just wear an automatic mechanical watch and, as long as I keep moving, it keeps telling the time. Most of these smart watches barely last a day before needing a recharge which makes them a difficult choice for most "adventures". Not that I get up to many adventures these days :(

I just wear an automatic mechanical watch and, as long as I keep moving, it keeps telling the time. Most of these smart watches barely last a day before needing a recharge which makes them a difficult choice for most "adventures". Not that I get up to many adventures these days :(

My Fitbit Versa is 15 months old and lasts 5.5 days from 100% to 8% battery depletion! This includes mono color watch face (white & Grey), 15-second display on, 24-hr heart rate monitoring on, overnight sleep pattern on, brightness at auto, and two 1.5-hr long bicycle rides. What I experienced is that the number one reason for quick battery depletion is the Color Watch Face which I has before and I could not get past 3.5 days of battery while using it...There are lots of nice looking mono color watch faces in fitbit library....

Back