Gateway MS2274 -- power outlet and power on problem

By wow21
Aug 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My Gateway MN: MS2274 is having problems charging or even turning on. I don't know much about laptops since this is my first one (bad mistake). Anyways, my charger has been getting loose so I have to adjust it to even get it to charge but when it does does charge my battery it holds charge good compared to what little I know about other computers/batteries. Now, it won't turn on at all and my charging light will blink 5 times. If anyone could help me with this problem or let me know if they have experienced the same I could use it quickly!! World of Warcraft is waiting for me!! lol Side note: My tech support is passed its warranty. I have tried taking the battery out and turning on but it does absolutely nothing, not even any blinking. Maybe battery/charger? I would love for some help with this issue!

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,886

That blinking light will be an error code. If you do not have a manual with the error codes in then contact Gateway to find out what it means. I have been unable to find an on-line manual to look it up in.

Chances are that either the battery, the charging circuit on the motherboard or the charger have developed a fault.

If I have understood correctly that it does absolutely nothing with the battery removed, but with the charger connected, it is most likely the charger at fault. I would test it first to be sure before buying a new one.

3. wow21

wow21 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll try testing it at the store maybe? Maybe I can find an employee to let me test it to see if it will charge.. Could the inside of the power outlet (inside my computer) be stripped? Is that a possibility? My next computer is definately desktop lol

4. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,886

Anything is possible at this point but I would start with the most obvious culprit and make sure the charger isn't the problem before looking for a fault within the PC.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "the power outlet being stripped" as there is no such thing as a power outlet on a PC only the power input and a section of the motherboard that controls the power supply to the various items of hardware and to charge the battery.