Gearbox to launch 'Homeworld Remastered Collection' next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HD remakes of the classic real-time strategy games Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are set to arrive next month as part of a bundle from Gearbox Software known as the Homeworld Remastered Collection.

Gearbox said it has painstakingly remastered the two games in cooperation with key members of the original development team as well as passionate fans of the series. Gamers can expect to see new, high-resolution textures and models, the latest graphics-rendering technology as well as a fully remastered score and new voice recordings from the original cast.

Purists will also appreciate the fact that the bundle includes the original versions of the two games with compatibility updates.

gearbox homeworld pcs valve steam gaming pc gearbox software remastered homeworld 2 homeworld remastered collection

Furthermore, Homeworld Remastered Collection buyers will get access to the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta. With the beta, Gearbox has taken all of the elements of the multiplayer experience from both games and rolled them into a single multiplayer experience.

Homeworld and Homeworld were developed by Relic Entertainment, originally launching in 1999 and 2003, respectively. Relic was acquired by THQ in 2004 and it was their bankruptcy filing in 2012 that ultimately opened the door for Gearbox to scoop up the IP.

The game is available for pre-order as of writing on Steam. Those who order early can save 15 percent, bringing the final cost of the bundle down to $29.74. Otherwise, expect to pay $34.99 for the opportunity come February 25, 2015.

Permalink to story.

One of the best games I've ever played. I can't wait to replay it again. I highly recommend it if you love challenging strategy games. The soundtrack and voice acting are superb.

Heh, I've been dodging the Steam sales like a pro, but this I might just have to get into again. =)

35$ for already played game? no thx, it'll take around half year for mods to catch up if any, and to that time there would be plenty of discounts
After playing HW with Complex mod, im not sure there is a way back to stock
they could have include Cataclysm too

Apart from the Brothers in Arms series Gearbox doesn't make any other games I'd consider worth playing, not even that Borderlands stuff.

Last edited:
Cataclysm has gotta be included, that's ridiculous.
Makes me so angry when games are remasters/re-releases and they leave out expansions or change the gameplay/mechanics of the game, Tomb Raider Anniversary perfect example, why couldn't they have included an option for a "classic mode" where it was JUST updated gfx/music/sfx but leave all triggers, traps, and gameplay exactly like the original (and make it the TR Gold version with the extra episode why the hell did they leave that out)? Why would I buy the same thing if everything's different? That would mean it is something DIFFERENT, which means its not the same game. Adding in extra lvls or game modes, resolution or HDR is one thing, but fundamentally changing the game itself it a big issue for me.

I vaguely remember playing the demo as a kid.. anyway just got this the other day and boy have they done a nice job with it! The graphics/visual are unreal too, in no way does it feel like you're playing a game from 1999, it could easily pass off as a new game just released (well I guess it sort of is but you get what I mean).

I actually play Homeworld skirmishes from time to time including the past several days. In the full length single player the original game contained exploitable "glitches" that would allow unusual situations. For example, I almost always play an all salvage game in which I do not destroy any enemy ships except where the game requires it and I capture/salvage all enemy ships including all strike craft without losing any of my ships. I discovered an exploit in one of the missions where I could capture more strike craft than was intended by the game. I ended up with more than one thousand strike craft from that one mission. I could have gotten more but I just got tired and moved on. Anyway, to make a long story short I wonder if such "glitches" will still exist in the remastered game. We will have to see.

Back