GeForce 7900GS KO Overclock Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

Okay, now that I finally have a nice video card...I want to overclock the crap out of it :evil: ! I ran Rivatuner and decided to place the settings at 600/750 (defaults 500/690). Now, here's what I don't know...how far should I go for a decent overclock? I have overclocked before (an X300), and it was succesful, and it was a huge overclock too. I just want to be more careful with this card if you know what I mean ;) .

Also, are the 7900GS's extra pipelines laser cut from the manufacturer?

*EDIT*
I just ran Dark Messiah on High Settings @ 1280X1024 4aa/4af and was pushing up to 60fps in some areas (I think v. sync. is on so it wouldn't go faster than 60 fps anyway). I will expirement and repost tomorrow (it's 12:07AM here). Good Night :) .

Doesn't the nvidia software have a stability program built in? On my old agp 7800 you could just raise the core and mem clock by small increments, then check if it was a stable oc, if not it would auto set default.

It's already factory OC'd, so wouln't you be pushing it if you tried to OC it further? But my friend has his at 590/900 and it's completely stable at that point. So you could try bumping up the memory a bit more.

I got it to 603/826, and now I'm going to test it with Dark Messiah. Hopefully it'll work :) .

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
It's already factory OC'd, so wouln't you be pushing it if you tried to OC it further?

Usually the factory doesn't oveclock it by much; adding maybe ~20-30 MHz to the defaults.

Ugh... now its a helluva lot faster (clock speed wise anyway) than mine... The memory on my card is rated at 1400MHz DDR... and the factory puts it at 1430. The core won't overclock more than 10MHz either...

Just make sure you don't accidentally (although you wouldn't do this :)) set the memory speed to say 1600MHz because you thought that was the DDR speed... lol. I don't want to think what the memory would do if it tried to run at 3200MHz DDR.

Here, I got a snapshot of RivaTuner;

untitlediu8.png

*cries* I wish mine would overclock better... but I guess I'm paying for the sin of my INSANELY overclockable 6800 I previously had. (It was stock 325/1080 and I got it to 560/1678 :D I don't know how the hell it was so good :stickout:) The limiting factor was the 128 bit bus though...

But despite your 20 pipeline disadvantage, I think your card might be more powerful than mine now because of the higher clocks.

I don't think so, the 7950GT would perform a lot better than mine even with my card so overclocked.

cfitzarl said:
I don't think so, the 7950GT would perform a lot better than mine even with my card so overclocked.
That would mainly be due to 4 more pipelines in the 7950GT, giving it a massive performance boost. Plus it can be OC'd to the specs of a 7900GTX, which would definitely wipe the floor with the 7900GS, and then some.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
That would mainly be due to 4 more pipelines in the 7950GT, giving it a massive performance boost. Plus it can be OC'd to the specs of a 7900GTX, which would definitely wipe the floor with the 7900GS, and then some.
Hmm... Whatever happened to those 7900GTOs? They were basically 7900GTX's priced at 1/2 the price and a bit lower clocks... Can't find them anywhere now. Oh well, they were at 240$, but now for 230$ I can get an X1950XT. How does that compare to a 7900GTX?

@OP: Wow, cool overclocking. How's heat? No offense but the the cooler on the 7900GS looks sorta... puny... ;) Do you see any big performance increase or is it all just about the numbers :) ?

I'm downloading 3dmark06, and I'll reset the vid card, test it, and then regain the overclock, and retest it to compare. I'll post pics too.

Here we go;

Without Overclock
wooverclockhf2.jpg

With Overclock
woverclockna8.jpg

Attachments

• 3dmark05results_overclock.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 5
I gotta do some comparisons now... I managed to stably clock mine to 565/1628. I guess the reason I failed before was because I upped the core too...

Anyway that's a pretty big improvement over non OC :D Congrats!

Thanks :D ! I was surprides at the FPS difference, sometimes as high as 10-15FPS higher
xxrotflmao.gif

It really is too bad that your card is only 20pp/7vs instead of 24pp/8vs... because you've almost got it to 7900GTX speeds :)

I think some cards escaped "the laser", as I searched on google, and some people had unlocked the 4 extra pp's on their card, and even took a pic from RivaTuner to prove it. I don't personally know how to unlock them, just overclock the cpu and gpu, along with the memory of the v. card :( .

BTW MetalX, is that DDR speed you oc'd to or single data rate speed?

cfitzarl said:
BTW MetalX, is that DDR speed you oc'd to or single data rate speed?
Umm... 3256MHz? I'm pretty sure it was shown as DDR ;)

Wow, 10-15 FPS difference... That amazing. I never got much out of overclocking my gfx on games... Maybe ~5 FPS difference?

I don't know why or how, but my gaming rig's performance went up by itself somehow... Now I'm pushing 80-160FPS all the time in FEAR with everything but AA and SS maxed at 1440x900... Time for some AA I guess.

Okay, I have RivaTuner open, and it recognizes the PP and the Vertex Shader that are lacking in the GS. I have ticked them on, but after restart it does nothing. Hmm :suspiciou...

agi_shi said:
I don't know why or how, but my gaming rig's performance went up by itself somehow... Now I'm pushing 80-160FPS all the time in FEAR with everything but AA and SS maxed at 1440x900... Time for some AA I guess.

That's good to hear, because I have too a X850 XT PE, and want to get FEAR :)

Probably you have a "defective" GPU Cfitzarl :unch:

Yeah, it is...I can see the pp's and vs onscrenn with rivatuner, but I can't activate them, no matter how much I tick and restart my computer :(

agi_shi said:
Umm... 3256MHz? I'm pretty sure it was shown as DDR ;)

Wow, 10-15 FPS difference... That amazing. I never got much out of overclocking my gfx on games... Maybe ~5 FPS difference?

Try a 8v8 Team Deathmatch. In certain scenes you will dip down to the low 30s or mid-high 20s. I have to lower to 800x600 to play at max settings in a TDM if I want to get 60FPS even in the "insane" scenes. DMs don't matter so much, I think it's just with TDMs sometimes there are lots of people on the screen at one time and lots of shooting and grenades and physics. Sometimes I wonder if a 8800GTX could get 60 FPS at 12x10 in those scenes. Seriously. The built in benchmarking system in FEAR DOES NOT do those scenes justice at all.

But about my memory speed... Nonsense! 1628 is the SDR speed! So 565/3256 :D :D Lol I wish.
cfitzarl said:
Yeah, it is...I can see the pp's and vs onscrenn with rivatuner, but I can't activate them, no matter how much I tick and restart my computer :(
I almost wish I had something locked. It feels like there's a lack of headroom without anything locked...

agi_shi said:
Oh well, they were at 240$, but now for 230$ I can get an X1950XT. How does that compare to a 7900GTX?
The X1950XT beats the 7900GTX. The XTX version screws it royally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back