GeForce RTX 3070 vs. Radeon RX 6800: 41 Game Benchmark

RX6800 is a nice joke.

Only available in two (2) computer shops in the whole of Greece and sells for 1190 euros average apiece which is, uh let's see, more than 2 times its MSRP price.

RTX 3070 is more widely available and sells at 1.5 time its MSRP.

Checking Mindfactory, the cheapest in stock 3070 costs € 689 vs € 829 for the cheapest in stock 6800.

I have to agree with the article that at the same MSRP as the 3070, the 6800 would have been the better choice for most, but I still feel that AMD does not want to sell too many of their big die Navi 21 GPU but rather use it re-establish their spot in the high end as preparation for RDNA3 and put a bit of pricing pressure on nVidia.

Hopefully, things are different for Navi 22 and below.

10 percent more performance and the extra VRAM is the minimum you would expect for the extra money from the 6800. When you look at wizardry like DLSS, ray tracing performance, driver and codec support etc it lags behind.

For a long time now it has always been how much you value the extras in Nvidia's product. If you don't want any of them you'll buy AMD without a second thought. However even if you dislike Nvidia you have to say they typically have the most rounded package.

I think we know most people will spring for Nvidia's deal. They are the default choice for most if AMD do not deliver something considerably superior for the same money. AMD have to beat Nvidia at the same money or quite a bit less to sell really well.

On the positive the fact there is competition there from AMD is the biggest bonus. It does at least put some checks on Nvidia that they aren't the only game in town at this level.

I was as happy as anyone when it was clear that AMD would be putting pressure on Nvidia and Intel.

Now I see a 6800 come in at $80 more and its clear that the 3070 is the better buy.

How is a 3070 a better buy? 6800 wins in almost every game and comes with double the ram? Even the DLSS doesn't save the 3070, that 8GB will be a limit very soon. If both cards were selling at MSRP that extra $80 is absolutely worth it in my opinion

While my setup is showing its age(1800x, 64GB of ram, 1070ti), it still does a good enough job. I was looking forward to a complete rebuild but at current prices and lack of availability, I going to sit this round out. That is further backed up by the fact that DDR5 is right around the corner. Plus, the extra time will give me a chance to save up for some better hardware

"Without a DLSS equivalent on offer and weaker ray racing performance, it’s hard to justify paying a premium for the Radeon."

I'd say double the RAM justifies that $80. $50 would have been better though... But the same price as the 3070 would have indeed made it pretty much a 3070 killer.

The DLSS equivalent not being here is a fair point, although, one can easily run 80% resolution + sharpening and get similar results. Not quite as good, but if you need the performance bump for some reason, you can use it.

As for using the lower ray tracing performance as an argument to not pay a premium over the RTX 3070... Do me a favor. I don't want to see any change in your editorial direction. Walk the talk.

While my setup is showing its age(1800x, 64GB of ram, 1070ti), it still does a good enough job. I was looking forward to a complete rebuild but at current prices and lack of availability, I going to sit this round out. That is further backed up by the fact that DDR5 is right around the corner. Plus, the extra time will give me a chance to save up for some better hardware

I would keep the mobo you have update the BIOS and just swap the 1800X for a 3700X, that's like 50% faster, upgrade the GPU and you good to go :)

AMD utterly failed to provide -any kind stock - in ARG. 3060, 3070,3090 are ALL available here, (2 much juice for my taste) 6800? 100% MIA, I wash looking for a 6800... but not anymore!

They didn't drop the ball with zen 3, I got one of those cpu (overpriced *** hell, but available)

"and that’s going to be of benefit in the not too distant future. We’ve got a few present examples where the RTX 3070 is hamstrung by its 8GB VRAM buffer. Doom Eternal using the ‘Ultra Nightmare’ preset is one example, Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing enabled is another."

Soo much certainty for something so unsure.
CP2077 is an example ?? lool . at FPS is it running exactly ?? it reaches bad fps way before reaching the 8GB value.

I would keep the mobo you have update the BIOS and just swap the 1800X for a 3700X, that's like 50% faster, upgrade the GPU and you good to go :)
I forgot to mention that I got a parts bin upgrade from my 1700 and 16gb of ram. Went from 16gb of 2133 to 64gb of 2400 and an 1800x. Not bad at all for a free upgrade. I also did this recently, as in the last 2 weeks so I'm enjoying my noticeable increase in performance. I was considering going with the 3700x but it isn't as clear cut as a 50% increase in performance. Looking at benchmarks it's closer to 10-15% from a 1700 and even less from an 1800x. I also got a free upgraded cooler from the whole thing so my 1800x is running at a stable 4.4 in games and doing so at around 40C.

I've downloaded assassins creed unity and odyssey as those are two of my favorite periods in history and Horizons zero dawn so I'm going to see how those play on this setup. I really don't game that much to begin with but it's covid so I'm spending lots of time at home. I just dumped 140 hours into 2077 so I'm burnt out on that for the time being.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the free parts bin upgrade. I'm thinking I can make it another year or so with this setup and I might just have to with the state of the industry

RTX 3070 is not $500 and RX 6800 is not $580. If that was the case I would pick Nvidia because of DLSS.

I forgot to mention that I got a parts bin upgrade from my 1700 and 16gb of ram. Went from 16gb of 2133 to 64gb of 2400 and an 1800x. Not bad at all for a free upgrade. I also did this recently, as in the last 2 weeks so I'm enjoying my noticeable increase in performance. I was considering going with the 3700x but it isn't as clear cut as a 50% increase in performance. Looking at benchmarks it's closer to 10-15% from a 1700 and even less from an 1800x. I also got a free upgraded cooler from the whole thing so my 1800x is running at a stable 4.4 in games and doing so at around 40C.

I've downloaded assassins creed unity and odyssey as those are two of my favorite periods in history and Horizons zero dawn so I'm going to see how those play on this setup. I really don't game that much to begin with but it's covid so I'm spending lots of time at home. I just dumped 140 hours into 2077 so I'm burnt out on that for the time being.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the free parts bin upgrade. I'm thinking I can make it another year or so with this setup and I might just have to with the state of the industry

Would need to go Zen 2 + faster memory DDR4 at 2400 is slow.

That change alone would give you a huge boost but for free I wouldn't complain.

I'll just wait for the 6800XT or 3080Ti to come back down lower than MSRP in about 2 years, I guess. By then even if there are newer and better cards come out, they will again be at the mercy of scalpers or not available anyway.

And for now, I'll just enjoy all my current backlogged games with my 5700XT.

It really depends on the games you play / your personal use case. But yes, same price would have made it a no brainer.

If pricing the 6800 the same as the 3070 would have made it a no brainer... well, then obviously the higher price is justified.

Another way to put it... if both of these cards were made by nVidia, there is no way they'd be priced the same.

If pricing the 6800 the same as the 3070 would have made it a no brainer... well, then obviously the higher price is justified.

Another way to put it... if both of these cards were made by nVidia, there is no way they'd be priced the same.
Absolutely agree - just look at the price premium nVidia charges for the 3090 over the 3080 for 14GB more RAM and 7% (1440p) / 10% (4k) better performance. Seems like that‘s worth $800 to nVidia and some customers.

In this light, $80 for an extra 6GB and 11% (1440p) / 10% (4k) better performance seems like an absolute steal. That‘s actually even better per $ than what the 3080 gives you over the 3070 for a $200 higher MSRP.

I do realize that I am ignoring DLSS and better RT performance but that makes me think of all those who got a 2060 because of RT. Not sure that paid off if this was the reason.

Die Size (mm2):

3070~392.5
6800~519

I smell latency. The 6800 performs better than the 3070 overall, that cannot be disputed.

Last edited:
I absolutely love ray tracing and am very excited about the future of this tech now that we are starting to get decent implementations (well 4 games so far but we know there is going to be more). So I can’t imagine buying a graphics card for this sort of money that doesn’t have this capability.

I find in most RTX games (not BFV or SOTTR), turning RTX on has a more noticeable visual impact on the game than going from low to high settings, especially so in Cyberpunk where turning RT on changed the feel of the entire city and game.

I’m going to get accused for fanboying for this post and it’s true. I’m a fanboy of cutting edge graphics in games and today and especially in the future that means ray tracing.

Also DLSS is pretty awesome, ray tracing would be near unusable without it. It’s just so much a better solution now than some janky lower res with a sharpening filter that we used to do when we couldn’t run a game at native.

If you are building a rig......and the money you have to invest.....if your worried about demanding games.....nightmare settings....ray tracing....dlss....ram.....just bite the bullet ....spend more....and get the 3080

Back