Generic cdrw-dvd rom for E Machines W2646 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbssat

I am working on this computer for a customer and it has numerous issues including the cdrw drive. Does anybody know of any generic drive on the market that will fit this computer properly without spending 80 to 100 dollars. I have already tried an A-Open cdrw-dvd drive that will not fit because of the mechanism on the previous drive. The previous drive is an HL Data GCE-8483B which I assume is an LG drive. Any help is appreciated.

Herbssat said:
I am working on this computer for a customer and it has numerous issues including the cdrw drive. Does anybody know of any generic drive on the market that will fit this computer properly without spending 80 to 100 dollars. I have already tried an A-Open cdrw-dvd drive that will not fit because of the mechanism on the previous drive. The previous drive is an HL Data GCE-8483B which I assume is an LG drive. Any help is appreciated.

"I have already tried an A-Open cdrw-dvd drive that will not fit because of the mechanism on the previous drive"

Are you saying that the previous CDROM's face plate was part of the front case?

That part is actually a part of the front case that detaches from the original drive and would not fit on the generic A-open drive because the inside of the top of the a open drive has a metal barrier that you cannot affix the mechanism to. The other gray part that affixes to the door that says CD rewritable will also not fit. The main problem remains that the A open drive will fit but lined up properly it leaves a gap in the front of the case without the other parts attached.

"Does anybody know of any generic drive on the market that will fit this computer properly without spending 80 to 100 dollars?"

Is this what Emachines wants for the drive? If so, inorder to have a drive that fits, you will probably have to get it from Emachines...

You can't live with a gap?

I cannot give the computer back to the customer with that kind of gap in it. I will probably go to my distributor and look at an lg drive as the dimensions are the same as what came out of it. If for some reason that will not fly; I might have to get the drive from E machines even though I do not want to. I have priced this drive on a few oem replacement sites and they wanted that price for it. This computer is getting closer and closer to the trash can every day. This is one of the main reasons why I do not buy proprietary computers anymore. If you have any more suggestions; I would like to hear them.

If you cannot recover the cost of a correct replacement drive from the owner, what other options do you think there are?

I had a similar issue, and my customer was perfectly happy with the ill-fitting CDROM. This CDROM worked just fine, even though half the front of the computer was missing.

This is an Emachines afterall :(

Good morning. I guess you are right in these respects. The customer is not going to want to pay the price of a correct replacement drive from E machines. If that lg drive from my distributor does not fly;then I might have to resort to this even though I do not want to. They design these things for job security like any other manufacturer and with the price of other cheap computers on the market it is just not worth the repair price. Throw it in the trash and buy another is my advice if the customer has any more issues after it is repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back