Getting 2 7300GT for < a 7600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayss523

Would 2 7300GT be better than a single 7600GT a year from now I guees is my real question. Its 20$ cheaper than a 7600gt and I can run my dual monitor setup without adapters(which I like) I mostly use the comp to play warhammer.

Its got a Pent D 2.2 dual core
2GB Cosair value ram
Creative 7.1 sound
and im using the PCI Geforce 5500fx w/128mb onboard Ram
and two EIDE HDs

i think buying the 7600Gt will lead you to a similar performance as there were 2 7300GT's and it would be cheaper.

Go with the 7600GT

Geforce 7300GT has 8 pixel pipes and 4 vertex shaders. The core is clocked at just 350MHz while the GDDR2 memory operates at 667MHz.

The Geforce 7600GT ramped up the core and memory frequencies and operate at 560/1400MHz. It has 12 Pixel Pipes and 5 Vertex Shaders.

Both have 128bit GDDR2 Memory, but the 7600 has better RAM bandwidth due to a number of reasons, but primrily because it has more pixel pipes and vertex shaders, faster memory and faster gpu clocks. Plus, the 7600 is overclockable to much higher speads than the 7300.

I say go with the 7600GT, then buy another one when you have the money. If you go with a better card now and stick to one slot, you still have that SLI slot to expand on later.

Rayss523 said:
and im using the PCI Geforce 5500fx w/128mb onboard Ram

You're using a PCI card right now. But, do you have a PCI-Express slot?

Also, make sure you have a beefy power supply unit (PSU) with at least 30A on the +12V rail.
BTW, the 7600Gt is the best choice :)

Hoping to help :)

Well I just upgraded my Mobo,Case,Psu,CPU,and RAM

So the video card was next on the list.

Would a 480watt PSU be alright for one 7600GT you think? Im definately going to upgrade it in the future. My Ram is 667 if that matters...

Everything matters when considering PSU requirements. Can someone please post the link to the PSU calculator thats floating around in here?

You do not have enough to run two GPU's at this time. Do what I did, get the best card you can afford now, then upgrade to the same card and a new PSU when the cost is lower and you have more cash. This leaves you some room for raising the cieling of the PC in a year or so and getting more usefullness out of it overall.

I went ATI and got the ASUS A8R-MVP XFire mobo, and an X850XT. The next time I upgrade I will probably just trash the X850XT and throw two X1900's in there with a 550 or 600w PSU.

You may find yourself in the same boat. If you are going to have to buy a bigger PSU, you may just throw away (or use it for another machine) the 7600 and go with two 7900's in a year when they cost the same as a used toaster at a swap meet.

In any case, I recommend you leave yourself the extra slot in case you want another GPU, and go with the 7600, besides, you will not be able to push two graphics cards unless you upgrade to around 600w.

HERE is the link to the PSU calculator :)

What is the brand and model of your PSU? I hope it's an Antec, FSP Group, Enermax, OCZ, etc.

Why would this be running slower with my old Geforce 5500fx PCI

MB ASUS P5ND2-SLI NF4SLI 775
CPU INTEL|PD 805 2.66G 775 2x1M
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR VS2GBKIT667D2

Than my old Emachine 2.6ghz Celeron/512mb Ram could run games like warhammer and CIV4? Seems to run Homeworld just fine though.

Well he has got a 99.7% positive feedback so lets hope it is true. I would really like to have 2 of them and have an extra 1GB of VRAM.

You probably wont get to use all 512mb on that card, because you cant play at that high of resolution on that card, on some games, plus im guessing you dont have top of the line monitor, so you dont need 512mb.

Well my monitor tops out at 1600x1200, so do you mean like a HD-monitor or something, I kinda thought the more RAM the better.

^ yeh thats a fact, Also ur gfx card RAM Is 512mb DDR3! but u wont use all of that, but still a good Choice IMO!!

Lol, I dont think you'll even use 256mb, so the double memory was a rip IMO, and you should have gotten GDDR3 memory or GDDR2 IMO..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back