Getting a print out for all the stuff on my computer

Cremaster

Here is my dream which I know will never happen but I want to try again. I never want to give MS another nickle of my cash. I want to create a computer that I can run Windows on when I have to, and use a flavor of linux for as much of my computing as I can.

You may think that this is easy but my experience is that once windows writes to c:\ the install begins to degrade. I can partition drives and such and have run multiple copies of windows (but now I wonder if I was nuts). I can do most things with a computer with direction.

I would also willingly give up MOST of the fake out MULTITASKING that windows claims to do but really doesn't. I just would rather finish a task that have windows running around splitting task up and then not doing any of them correctly.

I am working up a plan for the lay out of my computer, finding needed drivers for linux, and figuring out what to keep and what to trash.

I think the first thing that I need to do is figure out exactly what I am working with. I like PRINTED MATERIAL because I have to refer back to it often. So with that in mind I ask you the following:

How can I get a list of the following on my computer that is running Win XP:

1. The make and model number of my computer
  2. A list of all the Windows stuff like updates and SP in use
  3. A list of all programs on my computer
  4. A list of the hardware on this computer
  5. A list or print out of the settings on this computer
  6. Any other list you think might be handy to have

Thank you.

Back