GHOST image problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photo601

Greetings all and I hope I am in the correct forum. I have a system with 2 drives currently. One is IDE, the other is SATA. I wasn't anble to get WinXP Pro to load on the SATA drive. I was once successful in loading the OS tot he IDE drive and GHOSTING the image to the SATA drive. After the system needed to be rebuilt, (Image disk was broken) I attempted to repeat the process. This time I received this error: encountered an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed. I have no idea what this means. I want to run the OS on a partition on the SATA drive, and use the IDE for an external drive. Suggestions?

(The problem/error occurs when GHOST begins to copy the image)

You have to run the windows disk checker on the NTFS volume to fix it. Did you do an unclean shutdown when you ghosted the drive?

Nodsu said:
You have to run the windows disk checker on the NTFS volume to fix it. Did you do an unclean shutdown when you ghosted the drive?

I am not sure what an unclean shutdown means. After the error showed, it asked if I wanted to proceed or exit. I tried once on the proceed option. When the image showed complete, I rebooted to see if it took. Windows displayed the "One of your disks needs to be checked..." It did find and correct errors on the drive. I am unclear what drive was being scanned. I presume it was the SATA since booting from the IDE drive had no problems. When I saw the image did not take hold, I tried again figuring the errors were may have been corrected. I exited after receiving the error the next attempt. I did run CHKDSK /F but it didn't find any errors on the original install.

A thought, is the HDD size an issue for ghosting an image?

I am assuming you are using Norton Ghost.. No, drive size is not an issue as long as there is room for data (and Ghost will tell you if there isn't).

Yes, I am using Norton Ghost.

As an update, I ghosted an image to a DVD, then ghosted that image to the drive. It appears I was sucessful. I didn't do anything different this time than when I loaded XP Pro on the IDE then ghosted that image to the drive w/o using any optical drives. At least this way, I have an original image on disk. Just not the way I had envisioned doing it.
Bottom line: It works. I just wish I knew why things went so differently than the first time I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back