Glenn Beck: don't do a Google search

Emil

Staff

Glenn Edward Lee Beck, an American conservative radio and television host, author, and political commentator, has told his viewers not to use Google when doing research. He points to the fact that Google is having some problems overseas, and that some of its employees have played active roles in revolutions in the Middle East.

Here is the relevant section of his rant: "May I recommend if you are doing your own homework, don't do a Google search. It seems to me that Google is pretty deeply embed with the government. Remember... maybe this is explaining why Google is being kicked out of all the other countries. Are they just a shill now for the United States government? Who is Jared Cohen? Is he private citizen or government operative? And isn't this the second Google guy we've found... this is the second Google executive now being exposed as an instigator of a revolution. Are you comfortable with the government partnering covertly with media organizations, search engines, social networking, so that they can bring change that the Washington elites have designed?" You can watch the Beck do his thing below (found via Slashdot):

Jared Cohen is the Director of Google Ideas. He has worked with the State Department and played a role in the 2009 unrest in Iran. The other executive Beck is referring to is Google marketing manager and political activist Wael Ghonim, who played an active role in the revolution in Egypt. He went missing for over a week during the protests, and was later released by the security forces that kidnapped him.

Beck clearly doesn't have a very strong argument for not using Google; it's actually quite laughable what he is suggesting. Nevertheless, it does not hurt to question everything around you, including in the technology industry. Just don't become paranoid.

Permalink to story.

Beck has managed to surpass Rush in the pantheon of close-minded, inflammatory demagogues.

"in the time of the end knowledge shall be increased"

/takes a look at Glen.

yup we have nothing to worry about

ya they can be a little paranoid, but they are far more relevant liberal political bloggers who get all their info from CNN and never have left their mothers basement. Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point. Our Government was never meant to have as much power in the hands of specific individuals as it does today. Judges over riding votes of people. Democrats saying "O, they don't know what they need." and Ignoring the people. Anyone who thinks any politician republican or democrat truly has in mind the people's interest is naive.

That guy is some sort of simpleton - as well as the people who pay attention to him.

ya they can be a little paranoid, but they are far more relevant liberal political bloggers who get all their info from CNN and never have left their mothers basement. Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point. Our Government was never meant to have as much power in the hands of specific individuals as it does today. Judges over riding votes of people. Democrats saying "O, they don't know what they need." and Ignoring the people. Anyone who thinks any politician republican or democrat truly has in mind the people's interest is naive.

People have a history of making stupid and uneducated decisions based on something they heard from someone who read something that journalist # 8988945894 made up based on some study that was performed by some drunk college students on a dare.

I don't always put too much stock in the mob mentality and sometimes "the people" make decisions that aren't based on the right reasons.

Dear Mr. Beck,
Thanks a lot for giving wacko conspiracy theorists something new to shove down our throats. I can see it now, "Warning! Google is controlled by the government and will help us transition into the New World Order! Beware! Stop using Google at all costs! They are planning to take over our lives!" I should do a conspiracy video on this and see how many wackos would hop on board the "loco"motive (see what I did there? Lol) I figured crazy train was already taken, so "loco"motive sounds good :p

paynetrain007 said:
Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point..

Being liberal means you are very OPEN MINDED.

As far as Glen goes, what do you expect of a ex-comedian coke addict gone mormon?

Calling Glen Beck "an *****" does an injustice to all the real *****s in the world. He's invented a new form of stupidity coupled with verbal diarrhea which lets him laugh all the way to the bank as he thinks about all the people who believe and hang on his every word

Who cares what Glen Beck thinks? It's not really official until Rush Limbaugh tells us not to use Google anyway....!

Tin foil hats are shown to AMPLIFY the electromagnetic waves passing through your cranium... at least with some frequencies.
C'mon Rick, everybody knows that you have to keep the hat grounded.

Ironic how Glen talks about Google and other networks setting up people with "Propaganda/Community Organizing", When all he dose in his shows is community organizing.

Princeton said:
Who listens to conservative talk radio anyways?

Funny you should ask that. I don't know about how many people listen to Glenn Beck, personally I think he really *is* paranoid. But I do listen to Rush(who is awesome), and so do at least 15 million(and that's a conservative estimate) other people every week. But, if you look at Wikipedia's list of "most-listened-to" radio programs, you'll see that quite a lot of people listen to conservative talk radio in the U.S. And at least half of the programs in that list can be pretty clearly identified as conservative. For the ones that aren't, maybe their hosts are liberal, but I can't identify any of their programs as being about liberalism.

It's not my job now to try and be insulting, but perhaps you should rethink that question. Who listens to liberal talk radio? I honestly cannot name one liberal talk radio show off the top of my head.

yRaz said:

As far as Glen goes, what do you expect of a ex-comedian coke addict gone mormon?

That is a flat out lie. Since when has any liberal considered any idea outside of their camp. yes their are moderate democrats, but their are also progressive republicans. Take also into account that democratic philosophy is more government control, give us all your money and we'll take care of you mentality. They don't think that America is smart enough to handle life decisions. We aren't responsible enough to save our own money for retirement or choose our own medical care. To think Democrats are more open minded is very naive.

It's not my job now to try and be insulting, but perhaps you should rethink that question. Who listens to liberal talk radio? I honestly cannot name one liberal talk radio show off the top of my head.

Don't subscribe to Sirius do you? There is one big name that comes to mind immediately as liberal radio.

lets not start arguing over things that are not in the article. its about glen and glen only so lets bash on him

SeiveD said:
Funny you should ask that. I don't know about how many people listen to Glenn Beck, personally I think he really *is* paranoid. But I do listen to Rush(who is awesome), and so do at least 15 million(and that's a conservative estimate) other people every week. But, if you look at Wikipedia's list of "most-listened-to" radio programs, you'll see that quite a lot of people listen to conservative talk radio in the U.S. And at least half of the programs in that list can be pretty clearly identified as conservative. For the ones that aren't, maybe their hosts are liberal, but I can't identify any of their programs as being about liberalism.

NPR :p its interesting that anything with the words national, public, civil, liberties, etc. in it is Liberal Propaganda, but thats a whole different subject.

Its really interesting that liberals can't actually discredit what conservative's say they just trash talk them and talk about everything they've done wrong in the past. They don't actually have any intelligent rebuttals to what they have to say ^^^^^ Yes Beck may be paranoid especially in this case but whose to say he's wrong and why? I'm not saying I agree with him, but the facts that he is using are true and his conclusions are logical, again not saying I agree with him, but there should be much more intelligent remarks then "he is a *****," "he is an *****," and similar remarks in order to disprove him. Attack the problem not the person. Most people in the world have closed minds, I admit I do, but the important thing is to have an open heart and to care about people. Which most of these remarks don't show. Attack the problem not the person.

yRaz said:
paynetrain007 said:
Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point..

According to Webster, yes. According to politics, no. I've never met an open minded liberal. In fact, I've hardly met an open minded individual. Open mindedness is rare among humans made only worse in such an "educated age" where each thinks he's right.

I don't necessarily agree with Beck, but I do think that Google is becoming too political of an organization. Just focus on making money. Leave your politics out of your business.

Back