Global gaming market to hit another record high this year as US revenue surpasses China

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: A new report on the global video games market predicts that 2022 won't see the same kind of post-pandemic slowdown experienced in other tech industries. Revenue is expected to hit another record high this year, and the US will surpass China when it comes to consumer spending.

Newzoo's report predicts that global gaming revenue will hit a record $203.1 billion this year while player numbers will reach an all-time high of 3.09 billion—or almost 40% of the world's population.

Looking at individual countries, Newzoo believes that this year will see the US ($50.5 billion) edge ahead of China ($50.2 billion) in games revenue. The report puts this down to the stricter rules imposed on games in the Asian country; Chinese regulators last month approved the nation's first video game license since July 2021.

The Asia-Pacific region as a whole ($96.3 billion) remains way ahead of North America ($54.3 billion), with the former accounting for almost half of all the global gaming revenue, but North America is seeing about twice the yearly growth rate as the Asia-Pacific region. We're also seeing rapid growth in the Middle East & Africa and Latin America.

Mobile gaming is also continuing to explode and is expected to pass the $100 billion mark this year for the first time. The $103.5 billion from mobile titles would make up more than half of worldwide games revenue.

Consoles are said to be responsible for much of this year's non-smartphone growth, with more people grabbing Xbox Series X/S, PS5, and Switch consoles, although Nintendo's machine could run into supply issues later in 2022. Console games revenue is expected to hit $58.6 billion, up 8.4% YoY, while PC games are predicted to increase 3.2% to $38.7 billion.

Gaming seems to be one area that's been immune to the post-pandemic slowdown, which has seen several big tech companies' share prices fall, Netflix lose viewers, and websites make staff cutbacks.

Permalink to story.

Well unlike America, China saw the dangers represented by exposing their young kids to unrestricted gaming and unrestricted access to the internet so they cut internet access off during certain times of the week to keep their kids focused and productive.

Excellent Work PRC.

Well unlike America, China saw the dangers represented by exposing their young kids to unrestricted gaming and unrestricted access to the internet so they cut internet access off during certain times of the week to keep their kids focused and productive.

Excellent Work PRC.

That's what most countries that aren't the PRC would call "extreme government overreach" - and is beyond the control any government should be forcing upon their people in the 21st century.

It's not the government's job to dictate what I do in my free time, nor what I allow my kids to do in their free time.

Excellent Work PRC.
I would like to think that you are not serious about your comment and all you want is to people to notice you by your nonsensical point of view.
Now that you accomplished that please don't make jokes like that again.

Excellent Work PRC.
You should go live over there if you think they're doing it better.
Come back to TS and tell us how it is when you use your alotted one hour a week heavily restricted internet.

That's what most countries that aren't the PRC would call "extreme government overreach" - and is beyond the control any government should be forcing upon their people in the 21st century.

It's not the government's job to dictate what I do in my free time, nor what I allow my kids to do in their free time.

"Government overreach" is based on the constitution. In this case, you are judging PRC by USA's constitution. Obviously, the PRC doesn't have a bill of rights and therefore that comparison is invalid.

I would like to think that you are not serious about your comment and all you want is to people to notice you by your nonsensical point of view.
Now that you accomplished that please don't make jokes like that again.

#1 I wasn't joking at all.
I applaud the PRC Government for recognizing the dangers posed to their own students and children as they watched the decline of America.

There's a reason China has existed so long and America is amassing debt, declining birthrates, declining marriage, a culture of depravity and failure - while China is building islands and taking over developing countries.

#2 YES, I will comment.

"Government overreach" is based on the constitution. In this case, you are judging PRC by USA's constitution. Obviously, the PRC doesn't have a bill of rights and therefore that comparison is invalid.

Not so much the US Constitution, I'm referencing general human rights. Plenty of global (I.e. EU countries) don't have the US Constitution, however still don't maintain the citizen control we're discussing - so that comparison is in fact valid, for almost any use-case that's not PRC.

Not so much the US Constitution, I'm referencing general human rights. Plenty of global (I.e. EU countries) don't have the US Constitution, however still don't maintain the citizen control we're discussing - so that comparison is in fact valid, for almost any use-case that's not PRC.

Please show me the documentation that enumerates "general human rights". I'm sure that it isn't universal.

It is a God-given human right to be FREE! Tyrannical governments like the communist Chinese are despicable.

"freedom" is an illusion

If I even just take a look at America, the 1st and 2nd Amendment...the 4th and 5th... Constantly being infringed upon and many people don't live to see a lawsuit.

It is a God-given human right to be FREE! Tyrannical governments like the communist Chinese are despicable.

The communist Chinese operate less of a Welfare state than America does.

The President of the USA (for the time being) is trying to figure out ways to steal savings from wealthy people to distribute among the poor. That ain't freedom.

"freedom" is an illusion

If I even just take a look at America, the 1st and 2nd Amendment...the 4th and 5th... Constantly being infringed upon and many people don't live to see a lawsuit.

Sure is in CHINA! Why don't you move there and become a citizen if it's so great?

The communist Chinese operate less of a Welfare state than America does.

The President of the USA (for the time being) is trying to figure out ways to steal savings from wealthy people to distribute among the poor. That ain't freedom.

I cannot disagree with those statements. The American welfare state is the most abused system in the world.

The idea that the federal government should take money from the workers/producers and "redistribute" to the have-nots and too lazy to work is the most flawed ideology on earth. That said, it has nothing to do with "freedom" and more to due with government tyranny.

Excellent Work PRC.
Yikes.

The People's Republic of Tyranny should not be praised, exalted, admired, envied, or copied in any way, shape, or form, ever.

And I cannot agree that welfare is inherently bad, either. I think a lot of the poor people out there who have a tiny fraction of a percentage of the wealth you do work harder than you.

Yikes.

The People's Republic of Tyranny should not be praised, exalted, admired, envied, or copied in any way, shape, or form, ever.

And I cannot agree that welfare is inherently bad, either. I think a lot of the poor people out there who have a tiny fraction of a percentage of the wealth you do work harder than you.

If they're working so hard why do they need "free" taxpayer money? Welfare is the antithesis of "working hard". In America it's little more than a freeloader system for the lazy designed to keep people dependent on big government and collect votes to maintain it.

There's a reason China has existed so long and America is amassing debt, declining birthrates, declining marriage, a culture of depravity and failure - while China is building islands and taking over developing countries.
The current PRC has only been around for about 100 years. Under Mao hundreds of millions died and thousands of years of culture and history were forcefully destroyed with few remnants being preserved in Taiwan, the true China.

It's hilarious to mention the U.S.' declining birth rate when China is about to face the biggest demographic collapse in recorded human history within the next 30 years due to its "one-child" policy, which resulted in millions of female babies being killed.

If they're working so hard why do they need "free" taxpayer money? Welfare is the antithesis of "working hard". In America it's little more than a freeloader system for the lazy designed to keep people dependent on big government and collect votes to maintain it.
Labeling anyone who benefits from welfare as "lazy" or "freeloaders" isn't right. Many people are much less fortunate than others, and in no way is amount of wealth in direct or even remote correlation with how hard one works. People have disabilities. People born into poverty aren't given the same opportunities as those born into wealth.

Those who are rich still have more than enough money to have a very high quality of life after being taxed. Maybe they can only afford a 20,000 square foot mansion instead of a 30,000 square foot one. The horror!

Perhaps it's easy for me to see things this way when I live in a <300 square foot apartment and not a 20,000 square foot mansion, though I don't benefit from any government welfare programs.

You know minimum wage in many states is still $7.50 an hour? That's not even enough to live in a tiny studio apartment, and I would know.

And if taxes aren't spent on welfare, what should they be spent on? Nuclear weapons?

Excellent Work PRC.

Remind me again, aren't you one of the those morally flexible capitalist conservatives who.......hate the Big Intrusive Government but is in love with oppressive communist China (and Russia)??

Make up your mind, for once!!

The current PRC has only been around for about 100 years. Under Mao hundreds of millions died and thousands of years of culture and history were forcefully destroyed with few remnants being preserved in Taiwan, the true China.

It's hilarious to mention the U.S.' declining birth rate when China is about to face the biggest demographic collapse in recorded human history within the next 30 years due to its "one-child" policy, which resulted in millions of female babies being killed.

No it isn't.

Remind me again, aren't you one of the those morally flexible capitalist conservatives who.......hate the Big Intrusive Government but is in love with oppressive communist China (and Russia)??

Make up your mind, for once!!

Rules and laws are a matter of borders.

The Chinese people support their government. The Han Chinese majority. The uighurs can leave. They aren't wanted.

China has no such constitution as the USA guaranteeing a "Bill of Rights".

I fully support the Chinese and their government.

As far as America... I don't support this tax&spend Welfare state or its foreign military adventurism (completely unconstitutional BTW) any more than is absolutely mandated by the IRS in tax season.

No it isn't.
Granted my views on Taiwan may be an unpopular opinion, everything else I said is entirely factual. For someone who lauds the PRC so much you know surprisingly little about its history and current state of affairs.

The uighurs can leave. They aren't wanted.
Clearly you are unaware, but people cannot simply "leave" China. Anyone in the U.S. can leave whenever they want, but the people of China (as well as their money) cannot leave China's borders unless their social credit score is enough to grant them approval by the CCP.

I cannot disagree with those statements. The American welfare state is the most abused system in the world.

The idea that the federal government should take money from the workers/producers and "redistribute" to the have-nots and too lazy to work is the most flawed ideology on earth. That said, it has nothing to do with "freedom" and more to due with government tyranny.

I guess in your own Republican / Libertarian version of the "welfare state" is that only the filthy rich, big business / Big Oil / Big Coal, the military defence complex, etc and the well-connected Republican elites should benefit from "welfare".

The entire US tax code has been written by them and their bought politicans to benefit them, and with enough loop-holes to give them almost a 0% tax bracket!

The poor and middle class?? They don't exist in your version of the perfect system, except to work in minimum wage jobs.

Back