Gmail backup

I am using W-10 and gmail. Got a tip to use
GMail Backup revision 15 (2011-03-07)
Received this error message:
Starting backup of account d...@gmail.com into C:\Users\Denes\Desktop\Gmailbackup
Error: IMAP: SEARCH command error: BAD ['Could not parse command']

Upon closing the program I received this msg:
The logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GmailBackup\gmail-backup-gui.exe.log' could not be opened: (Errno 13) Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\GmailBackup\\gmail-backup.gui.exe.log'

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks like a bad program to me, notice:
Starting backup of account d...@gmail.com into C:\Users\Denes\Desktop\Gmailbackup
Error: IMAP: SEARCH command error: BAD ['Could not parse command']

Upon closing the program I received this msg:
The logfile .... (Errno 13) Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\GmailBackup\\gmail-backup.gui.exe.log'

Can't parse it's own location, but the error causes access to a normally protected directory

Thanks.
In the meantime, after reading up on similar threads, I checked the Download the newest emails only box and that resulted in the download of over 13Gb data, including the oldest emails from 2009 that I saved in Gmail. The format is .eml which is readable by Outlook (also by Chrome but I could not change the default from Outlook to chrome, so Outlook it is, sigh). The download is organized by year and month but I don't know yet if it is searchable by keyword. If not, then this may be largely useless because the purpose is to be able find certain emails relevant to a particular issue, sometimes to a sender or addressee. Nicely, the download keeps attachments with the email so if you find the email of interest you don't have to guess what was attached to it.

Thunderbird will read .eml files without importing them, but also allow Search by Subject, Origin, Date

Back