Gmail on iOS will soon use AI to only show you 'high priority' email notifications

Polycount

Staff

Whether you're a fan of the aesthetic of Gmail's latest revamp or not, there's no denying it came with a few helpful new features.

With the redesign, Google added self-destructing messages, snooze functionality, and AI-powered smart reply features. Now, to expand upon the rework, Google is changing the way Gmail notifications work on iOS devices by using machine learning.

This comes in the form of a new optional feature, which is intended to make your life a bit easier if you tend to receive a lot of emails on any given day. Specifically, the function will let you choose to be alerted only when your "attention is really required," or when Google's AI determines that an email is a high priority.

It's not entirely clear how Google's AI algorithm will determine which messages are worthy of your immediate attention, though. It's possible that the technology simply looks for messages received from individuals, groups or businesses you interact with regularly, but knowing Google, it's probably a great deal more sophisticated than that.

Regardless of how it works under the hood, the new "High priority only" alert feature for Gmail is expected to roll out to iOS devices over the next one to three days. An Android version, on the other hand, is expected to arrive "soon."

Image courtesy NurPhoto, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I REALLY don't want any AI going through my email. I have it set up just how I like it. This might push me over the edge and switch to something else.

This comes in the form of a new optional feature, which is intended to make your life a bit easier if you tend to receive a lot of emails on any given day.

Hope it's only OPT-IN and not going to be some setting hidden deep within Google's control panel, and automatically enable for everyone's accounts forcing you to find the OPT-OUT option.

I'll have to learn more...

I REALLY don't want any AI going through my email. I have it set up just how I like it. This might push me over the edge and switch to something else.

This comes in the form of a new optional feature, which is intended to make your life a bit easier if you tend to receive a lot of emails on any given day.

Hope it's only OPT-IN and not going to be some setting hidden deep within Google's control panel, and automatically enable for everyone's accounts forcing you to find the OPT-OUT option.

I'll have to learn more...
There's no such thing as AI anyway. It's marketing bullshit - more like it is machine learning.

My gmail is full of crap and what I see now is that I've diverted all major email to my master email account. AI in gmail might be use to push ads in my face too. What they need to do is filter out the crap mail I am getting 24/7.

Our phone mail apps are extremely myopic and only perform the bare basics of Email. From a real system, Email has FIVE priority settings for the user:

highest, high, normal (the default), low & lowest​

The choice is made by the sender.

It might be very interesting to see a means of filtering like
  • Sender_Is My BFF => set priority to x
and then sort the inbox by priority and/or to create Notifications.

WAY BACK WHEN email transport was via uucp, the priority cause the queuing on the servers to ensure the order of mail leaving the server(s).

Back