God of War receives AMD FSR 2.0 support

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Good news for fans of angry dad simulators: God of War's PC version now has support for AMD FSR 2.0 following the v1.0.12 update. This makes Sony Santa Monica's title only the third game to officially support AMD's latest upscaling technology, enabling higher framerates with more demanding settings and resolutions.

God of War's patch notes are pretty brief: FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 has been implemented in the game and is now available as a resolution-scaling option within the display settings menu. Additionally, the toggle Aim/Block accessibility features will no longer have inconsistent behavior.

God of War joins Deathloop and Farming Simulator 22 in supporting FSR 2.0. AMD last week announced the initial lineup of games set to receive the tech this year, but GoW wasn't one of them. However, it did already offer FSR 1.0, suggesting that the latest version of the upscaler would be added soon.

As FSR 2.0 doesn't rely on machine learning, it works on a range of graphics cards. AMD notes that the temporal technique will be more demanding than a spatial upscaling solution like FSR 1.0, but even graphics cards from five years ago can benefit. The company writes that any games already supporting Nvidia's DLSS are the easiest to implement FSR 2.0, taking three days or less.

One of the most demanding games on PC right now, Microsoft Flight Simulator, will receive DLSS and FSR 1.0 support in July when the Update 10 arrives. The team is also working on adding FSR 2.0, which is set to land later in the year.

Make sure to check out our deep dive into AMD FSR 2.0 vs. DLSS Performance in Deathloop.

Permalink to story.

All nice and good, but I wonder exactly how many people are still playing this game now?

I mean even the PC players, the majority of us are finished with it since a few months ago, so...

I want to see FSR 2.0 in new games, not old ones.

All nice and good, but I wonder exactly how many people are still playing this game now?

I mean even the PC players, the majority of us are finished with it since a few months ago, so...

I'm still playing this now I bought it on launch and waited for them to patch it. I have many other games that I was playing so that wasn't an issue for me.

I think that game developers have a statistic of how many games they sold on PC vs how players actually played the game. If the numbers of players which own the game but still do not played it is high enough this could be a reason to implement FSR 2.0. Also FSR 2.0 will work on consoles too.

You're right, if AMD want to succeed with FSR 2.0, they have to convince developers to implement it in almost all new games or as many as they can. This should be easier than Nvidia DLSS and much cheaper.

bd5e07eaaa1a69eaad755c08221a3c546f42e7519c62029f2f81d68c6187d007.jpg

This was the same problem with DLSS and RT in the early days, few games released with it and it was added to more popular (OK, actually good) games months later after the early purchasers bought and played.

However there are those of us who prefer to pay $20-30 for a game instead of $60 and we also get the DLSS/FSR2.0/RT benefits on top of lower price. It's not like I don't have 300+ unplayed games at GOG/Steam/Epic to tide me over.

Now I have a great reason to buy GOW the next time it's on sale.

This was the same problem with DLSS and RT in the early days, few games released with it and it was added to more popular (OK, actually good) games months later after the early purchasers bought and played.

However there are those of us who prefer to pay $20-30 for a game instead of $60 and we also get the DLSS/FSR2.0/RT benefits on top of lower price. It's not like I don't have 300+ unplayed games at GOG/Steam/Epic to tide me over.

Now I have a great reason to buy GOW the next time it's on sale.
I can understand that, I usually do that too.

I'm just saying the majority of people already finished the game on PS and on PC. So new games having FSR 2.0 make more sense than old ones, from that POV.

I mean the more FSR 2.0 games the better, I just prefer the "more" part to be with new games.

P.S. Although there is one "old"-er game I do think it desperatelly needs FSR 2.0: Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm just saying the majority of people already finished the game on PS and on PC. So new games having FSR 2.0 make more sense than old ones, from that POV.

I mean the more FSR 2.0 games the better, I just prefer the "more" part to be with new games.

P.S. Although there is one "old"-er game I do think it desperatelly needs FSR 2.0: Cyberpunk 2077.
Could also be still popular free to play games. It‘s probably not needed for CS Go but Fortnite or similar titles could benefit.

True, Cyberpunk 2077 will be the game which need the most FSR 2.0, though CDPR support seems to favor Nvidia over AMD for this title. Hope they will play nice and implement it.

Great joke, though either of this companies can be in place of the other, the amazing sense of humor is there.
The joke is really on us, since some of us (not me) still blindly support nvidia and intel meanwhile ignoring all the anticonsumer cr@p they have done when on top.

I prefer AMD because intel and nvidia made me hate them.

But if AMD become dirty like them and those two are a couple of notches more “humble” then they will see my money again.

When they release a new God of War game many people will pick the prequel too :)

Last edited:
Most boring waste of hard drive space I have seen; watching paint dry was a cloe contender. Thank goodness for steam refunds. I don't care what fancy graphics features a game has if it has 0 gameplay substance.

Another high quality upscaling choice is excellent news, especially on the PC. However, we need to be realistic about its relative quality, performance and support to DLSS, otherwise we are just falling for AMD's marketing. If the perception is that FSR 2.0 is just as good, then AMD can justify higher prices, while if it widely known that DLSS is better then we should rightly get cheaper AMD cards.

Personally, I ignore most of the "analysis" that goes on when comparing upscaling techniques, because most of it is done by people who are more interested in hype and less in thorough objective comparisons. Objective comparisons are important because we want to make informed choices about both hardware and which settings to use. Its up to us to hold both AMD and Nvidia accountable for the quality of their technology.

Most boring waste of hard drive space I have seen; watching paint dry was a cloe contender. Thank goodness for steam refunds. I don't care what fancy graphics features a game has if it has 0 gameplay substance.
I've played it at a friend's home and it was awesome.

Back