GoDaddy bans Neo-Nazi site for derogatory article on Charlottesville victim

midian182

Staff member

GoDaddy, the world’s largest seller of internet domain names, has announced it will no longer allow neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer to use its services. The company posted a tweet stating that the white supremacist site had 24 hours to find another provider after it violated GoDaddy’s ToS.

The move is a response to Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin's article disparaging Heather Heyer, the 32-year-old woman who was killed when an alleged white supremacist drove into a crowd of people protesting against the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday.

Twitter user Amy Siskind called on GoDaddy to do something about Anglin’s piece, which called Heyer a “drain on society,” adding that “Most people are glad she is dead.”

GoDaddy corporate spokesman Dan Race told the Washington Post that the article violated its terms of service. “Given The Daily Stormer’s latest article comes on the immediate heels of a violent act, we believe this type of article could incite additional violence, which violates our terms of service,” Race wrote in an email to the publication.

GoDaddy has faced criticism over its decision to allow racist websites to register their domain names with the company, despite its terms of service banning “morally offensive activity.” The sites also use a GoDaddy-affiliated privacy service called Domains by Proxy, which stops the public from discovering contact information associated with a domain name.

“While we detest the sentiment of this site and the article in question, we support First Amendment rights and, similar to the principles of free speech, that sometimes means allowing such tasteless, ignorant content.” Ben Butler, GoDaddy’s director of network abuse, told The Daily Beast after a Daily Stormer article promised to “track down” the relations of CNN staff.

In the last few hours, it’s been reported that The Daily Stormer website has been infiltrated by Annonymous, with the hacktivist group ostensibly posting an article called “END OF HATE: ANONYMOUS NOW IN CONTROL OF DAILY STORMER.” However, the Anonymous twitter account claims it has no involvement with the hack, and that it is likely just a publicity stunt.

Permalink to story.

GoDaddy is breaking the First Amendment!
free speech is NOT the way you are claiming it to be. The author of the website still has free speech. He just isn't allowed to use go daddys private entity platform. Their platform, their rules. Just the same as I can't post on your facebook wall, or use your twitter feed if you don't like what I want to say.

WRONG ..... it is a private organization that has explicitly forbid such conduct as part of their terms of service. They are simply exercising the contractual right to terminate service. Terminating the service does not inhibit free speech, it only forces them to find another home. This is basic contract law 101.

Just a friendly reminder that GoDaddy fully supported SOPA and PIPA. I know that doesn't really have anything to do with this story, but I don't think it should be forgotten either.

Pretty sure this is sarcasm.

In any event... They're going to start with obvious websites, but rest assured: web hosts are going to be pressured to start terminating contracts on the same basis that Twitter, Facebook, and Google suspend/disable accounts. If you aren't praising social justice and victimhood, you're in the crosshairs.

Pretty sure this is sarcasm.

In any event... They're going to start with obvious websites, but rest assured: web hosts are going to be pressured to start terminating contracts on the same basis that Twitter, Facebook, and Google suspend/disable accounts. If you aren't praising social justice and victimhood, you're in the crosshairs.
It may well be sarcasm, but, IMO, I think you would do well to review SCOTUS decisions on the First Amendment. You will note that as decided by SCOTUS, the First Amendment does not give anyone the right to say what they please all the time about everything as some here seem to interpret it.

Like with the doxing that was done to the gagme employees and revealed their home addresses, there are Social Justice Warriors on the far right, too.

Unfortunately, one cannot claim to be about law and order and then decry the lack of it when things do not go the way one would like.

Responding to this only to prove a point:

It may well be sarcasm, but, IMO, I think you would do well to review SCOTUS decisions on the First Amendment. You will note that as decided by SCOTUS, the First Amendment does not give anyone the right to say what they please all the time about everything as some here seem to interpret it.

Link me to the SCOTUS decision stating that a private party has no right to say something repugnant.

Anonymous is not a centralized organisation. Only fools believe it to be such.

Want to join Anonymous? Call yourself Anonymous. Congratulations, you're Anonymous.
It always amazes me that people don't know this. There are even "Anon members" that believe in things others don't. It's a code name for anyone who wants to be anonymous and hack, hence the name.

The Daily Stormer agreed to the terms of service and broke it. They are in breach of contract and there is no law stating that GoDaddy MUST provide the platform for such things just like there is no law stating that a member of the clergy MUST perform same-sex marriages even if they are legal in that state. I don't know if you were just being sarcastic but if you were, a little :p emoticon would be appropriate. ;)

Responding to this only to prove a point:

Link me to the SCOTUS decision stating that a private party has no right to say something repugnant.
Well, you could be getting into the realm of what the court would rule is "obscene" like they did with Paul Little.

Well, you could be getting into the realm of what the court would rule is "obscene" like they did with Paul Little.

That would be quite the leap (not that we haven't seen SCOTUS members bound stars in recent years).

I'm pretty sure we also have the right/freedom to suppress speech within our real-estate. Anyone can host their own site and say whatever they wish.

I'm pretty sure we also have the right/freedom to suppress speech within our real-estate. Anyone can host their own site and say whatever they wish.

The issue isn't with the hosting. It's with the domain registration, which is a much bigger issue.

The issue isn't with the hosting. It's with the domain registration, which is a much bigger issue.
"GoDaddy corporate spokesman Dan Race told the Washington Post that the article violated its terms of service."

No it's about an article for which GoDaddy bans a domain from being hosted at their company. Or at least that is what I'm getting out of this article.

Back