'GoldenEye: Source' is the unofficial HD remake of 007, available now for free

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Developer Rare and publisher Nintendo in 1997 dropped what’s arguably one of the greatest games for the Nintendo 64 in GoldenEye 007. Based off the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye, this first-person shooter had an average single-player storyline but what really kept gamers immerse for hours on end was its multiplayer mode.

If you’d forgotten about this gem or never had an opportunity to play it before, I’ve got great news. There’s a new HD fan remake 10 years in the making that’s now available to download.

GoldenEye: Source, as it’s called, has been a work in progress over the years. Version 5.0 (the new one) includes 25 refreshed maps, 10 multiplayer modes and updated versions of 28 of the game’s iconic weapons. There's no single-player mode but that's quite alright.

Nintendo earlier this month dropped the hammer on a Metroid II remake more than eight years in the making. If precedent tells us anything, I wouldn’t expect this to remain live for long so you’d better grab it while the getting is good.

The website’s FAQ notes that the game both requires and runs on Steam but the mod isn’t available there for legal reasons. The specs required to run the game are minimal so I doubt anyone here will have any issues in terms of graphical horsepower. You can download the game for Windows and Mac (with some work) right here.

Permalink to story.

Now all we need is for Black Mesa to finish and for Valve to announce HL3 :D
Valve will never announce HL3. It's abandonware. The only chance for it is an independent studio that will release it for example as a free, independent mod for some phony game, maybe with microtransactions to cover the developement costs.

Didn't realize this was still in development, it was already fantastic the last time I played it 5+ years ago. I'm definitely intrigued to see what kind of polish an extra 5 years have added. Does the game still have much of a community?

Didn't realize this was still in development, it was already fantastic the last time I played it 5+ years ago. I'm definitely intrigued to see what kind of polish an extra 5 years have added. Does the game still have much of a community?
if there news articles about it then I'm sure that at least for a while there will be people who will check it out.

Ahhh I have an older version of this somewhere didn't know they were still working on it.

Going to download now this was a blast multiplayer almost as good as the N64 version.

Now all we need is for Black Mesa to finish and for Valve to announce HL3 :D
Valve will never announce HL3. It's abandonware. The only chance for it is an independent studio that will release it for example as a free, independent mod for some phony game, maybe with microtransactions to cover the developement costs.

I've known it personally to be in actual development twice, through two different groups (HL3), it got dropped both times... Very sad. Also Valve needs to update their engine now also. (A good reason for HL3 would be releasing a new Source engine!!! Hint hint!!! Ugg...)

So I was playing this last night man they made some nice changes from the older 4.2 version.

I was getting my butt handed to me but after about 5-6 rounds I started to get the feel of game again and was starting to move up the scoring ranks at the end of each match. Forgot how fun this game is.

I'm actually curious what Nintendo will do. Goldeneye Source has been available for anyone to grab for God knows how long now. So it'd be weird for them to suddenly care after this many years of people playing it. Ill be sure to get a copy though in case since it's making headlines again :D

Does anyone else pull out their old N64 every few years to play it for awhile? It's the only game I do for besides Metal Gear Solid 1.

To be honest, as of a couple days ago, 4.2 had very little community at all. Suddenly we're under a deluge of new players thanks to this 5.0 release and subsequent media coverage. We really hope that these news players will stick around and we'll have a proper community again!

Still waiting for a sequel for Grim Fandango...sigh. Wish LucasArts had planned for it-- so much for it earning Gamespot's, "game of the year"?

Back