GoldenEye: Source is an online multiplayer arena first-person shooter that aims to provide a faithful recreation of the classic N64 title GoldenEye 007’s multiplayer with refined gameplay, high definition graphics and sound. Over 10 years in the making, GE:S has had many talented developers working to bring you quality content at no cost to you. 25 maps, 10 gamemodes, and all 28 weapons from the original await you in this faithful recreation of GoldenEye on the Source engine. With its own unique mix of retro and modern style, GoldenEye: Source aims to appeal to fans of the original as well as anyone looking for an enjoyable multiplayer Free For All shooter.
While we continue development on the 5.1 update, we need to release a patch to address some vulnerabilities that have recently been discovered within Valve’s Source engine.
Our 5.0.6 patch is primarily to fix this recently discovered exploit in all Source engine games. Using this exploit, a server running malicious custom content can potentially execute arbitrary code on your computer. Though there have been no instances of this exploit spotted in the wild, due to the nature of this vulnerability we urge everyone to update as soon as possible.
If you launch the game without updating you will receive a notification that your game needs to be updated on the main menu.
Since everyone has to go through the trouble of updating, there are also a few essential fixes and features that we decided are worth including as well. Servers are not affected by this exploit, but we’ve included a server patch as well to fix a few other bugs. Read the full changelist here.
Though most of Valve’s popular titles have been patched at this point, if you’re planning on playing a Source engine game you’re not sure has been patched, we would recommend setting the following console variables:
- cl_downloadfilter none
- cl_allowdownload 0
These settings will disable all client-side custom content including sprays and maps, which will eliminate the attack vector this particular exploit uses. In most games this will probably not be necessary, but it could be worth it if security is a concern for you. Stay safe.
4 new maps have been added:
- Added: Archives Classic
- Added: Bunker
- Added: Dam
- Added: Depot
2 new game modes have been added:
- Added: A View to a Kill:
- You are scored on time spent alive
- Dying resets current time to 0
- Killing a player adds 50% of their currently accumulated “time alive” to yours
- Slapper kills will reward you with 75% of their currently accumulated time
- Current time leaders are highlighted with red markers
- Added: Gun Trade:
- Each player is randomly assigned a weapon at the start of the match
- Killing, or being killed by another player will swap weapons between you and that player
- Slapper kills remove the victims weapon from circulation and assigns a new weapon that is not currently in circulation
- The player with the most kills at the end of the round wins
2 new playable characters have been added:
- Added: Russian Infantry
- Added: Russian Soldier
- Added: 25 new music tracks
- Added: 40 new achievements
- Added: Added Community Contributor rank which comes with a scoreboard tag and Klobb skin
Whilst the game both requires and runs through Steam, the mod is not available for download via the Steam store due to legal reasons. You can download Steam here.