Google Chrome introduces new modes to save energy and memory

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Google Chrome's reputation as a memory hog has been a running joke for years. Google's latest attempt to fight the problem is a pair of new modes that help its browser conserve RAM for multitasking and battery life for laptops.

The latest version of Google Chrome introduces new modes to save memory and energy. The update will roll out globally over the next several weeks for Windows, macOS, and ChromeOS users.

Those with a lot of open tabs can activate Memory Saver mode to free up RAM from tabs they aren't using. Inactive tabs will reload when needed again.

The setting should create a smoother experience in active tabs and save memory for applications outside of Chrome. Google says Memory Saver mode is useful when keeping Chrome open in the background while running other intensive software like video editing or games.

Energy Saver mode can limit certain effects on websites like videos, animations, and background activity to save laptop battery life. The feature automatically engages when a laptop's battery level falls below 20 percent, but users can manually toggle it.

Controls for both modes appear in Chrome's three-dot menu on the top right corner of the window. When engaged, Memory Saver mode appears as a notification on the right side of the address bar, while Energy Saver displays a leaf icon in a menu to the right of the address bar.

This isn't the first time Google has tweaked Chrome to improve performance and battery life. In July, a feature was discovered that effectively pauses inactive tabs by tightening restrictions on JavaScript code that users haven't touched in a while. The functionality applies to desktop and mobile versions of Chrome, while the latest update only affects the browser on computers.

Google's announcement this week comes shortly after it revealed new search functionality for Chrome. Users with Chrome version 108.0.5359.95 and later can use the address bar to search their history, open tabs, and bookmarks. Type @bookmarks, @tabs, or @history into the address bar to search each one, respectively.

The new feature should help users who are sifting through many open tabs or who need to recall a website they previously visited. Chrome's history section already has a search bar, but the update moves this functionality to the main access bar for faster access.

Permalink to story.

Interesting ..... is it just me or does Google come out with these improvements everytime they get into some kind of trouble with the FCC or others???

"Energy Saver mode can limit certain effects on websites like videos, animations"--does this mean those types of ads will become static?
I sometimes hold my hand up to the screen to hide those overly animated ads so I can read the story.

Ppl should realise.. how many times they've opened 50+ word docs, or pdfs.. and note that they/both types of docs don't have inline running videos, dynamically real-time updating content/sections.. they will understand each browser (here chrome) tab is doing more fearure rich work than word/pdf/excel etc.. hence browsers deserve respect keeping ur dozens of tabs running on meager ram where other tools/suites will just cripple under their own weight.. I wish too 100+ tabs and I have 70+ tabs (without JS etc disabled or sleeping/suspending tabs using plugins) any given time on my 2014 hp probook with just 16gb ram but don't whine but respect, wonder n prays how I m able to sustain my own mismanagement n lazyness to resolve/read n close those articles..

lastly 2 tips to free ram chrome.. (1) either kill 1st chrome process of chrome in task manager to exit chrome in one snap no matter how many windows n tabs then reload chrome clicking restore.. press ctrl+m (or min button on others) to keep every thing minimised for few minutes to let chrome complete its initial wirk n not load any/every page right away cuz of ur click on tab or tab coming in forground process. (2) before any action to free ram.. 1st count numbers of ur open chrome windows only (no matter how many tabs each window has) say 4-7.. then press ctrl+q or menu exit.. to exit chrome.. then relaunch chrome n slowly keep pressing shift+ctrl+t. u'll get 1 window restored on each shift+ctrl+t.. stop pressing as u see say 7th window popping back (else another press can bring even older unwated say 8th window with its own older now unwated set of tabs)..

Enjoy n respect chrome.. it dethroned everyone else around n I kniw google is most active vs others in continously tuning underlying engine of chrome.. nit just ram/battery usage tuning...

Ppl should realise.. how many times they've opened 50+ word docs, or pdfs.. and note that they/both types of docs don't have inline running videos, dynamically real-time updating content/sections.. they will understand each browser (here chrome) tab is doing more fearure rich work than word/pdf/excel etc.. hence browsers deserve respect keeping ur dozens of tabs running on meager ram where other tools/suites will just cripple under their own weight.. I wish too 100+ tabs and I have 70+ tabs (without JS etc disabled or sleeping/suspending tabs using plugins) any given time on my 2014 hp probook with just 16gb ram but don't whine but respect, wonder n prays how I m able to sustain my own mismanagement n lazyness to resolve/read n close those articles..

lastly 2 tips to free ram chrome.. (1) either kill 1st chrome process of chrome in task manager to exit chrome in one snap no matter how many windows n tabs then reload chrome clicking restore.. press ctrl+m (or min button on others) to keep every thing minimised for few minutes to let chrome complete its initial wirk n not load any/every page right away cuz of ur click on tab or tab coming in forground process. (2) before any action to free ram.. 1st count numbers of ur open chrome windows only (no matter how many tabs each window has) say 4-7.. then press ctrl+q or menu exit.. to exit chrome.. then relaunch chrome n slowly keep pressing shift+ctrl+t. u'll get 1 window restored on each shift+ctrl+t.. stop pressing as u see say 7th window popping back (else another press can bring even older unwated say 8th window with its own older now unwated set of tabs)..

Enjoy n respect chrome.. it dethroned everyone else around n I kniw google is most active vs others in continously tuning underlying engine of chrome.. nit just ram/battery usage tuning...
a typo mistake I made.. by ctrl+m above I actually meant win+m (windows button + m)

Back