Google Fiber expansion targets Atlanta, Nashville and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google fiber atlanta nashville google internet fiber gigabit internet fiber internet fiber connection charlotte raleigh-durham

Google’s blazing fast fiber Internet service is coming to 18 cities across four new metro areas. Those living in and around Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham will have access to gigabit Internet in the not-too-distant future, marking the largest expansion of Google’s fiber service yet.

Google Fiber Vice President Dennis Kish on Tuesday said bringing fiber to these cities is a long-term investment that they’ve been working on with city leaders over the past year.

google fiber atlanta nashville google internet fiber gigabit internet fiber internet fiber connection charlotte raleigh-durham

The work is far from done, however, as the next step is to create a detailed map of where Google can lay its thousands of miles of fiber. The plan is to use existing infrastructure such as utility poles and underground conduit. From there, a team of surveyors and engineers will finalize plans before construction gets under way.

Google is continuing to evaluate five additional metro areas for fiber expansion: Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Antonio and San Jose. Those living in and around these areas can expect an update on the matter later this year.

Pricing wasn’t mentioned although I suspect Google will recycle the pricing structure it has previously used. In Austin, for example, Google charges $130 per month for gigabit Internet and TV service or $70 for just the gigabit Internet. Those who only have basic net needs can pay a one-time fee of $300 and get 5Mbps / 1Mbps connectivity for free.

Permalink to story.

This is very cool, and I wish my city were on the map, but weren't we told that wireless was going to be the way to go in the future? I know it's not ready yet, but it seems Google is making a big investment on the bet we won't ever use wireless. All it would take is one wireless carrier to be able to allow people unlimited internet at a good price and all sorts of people would cut their broadband.
I know I don't like paying for internet twice.

Does this means more areas of atlanta? I saw google fiber listed in atlanta not too long ago, but mainly in area such as east point and such. Maybe this means that they are actually making a move and that the previous statement about the places were plans I suppose.

I'm wondering here.

Chapel Hill is the next town over from me. They're likely getting fiber because of UNC Chapel Hill.

In other areas where fiber was introduced did they ever expand it to smaller towns in the vicinity?

I've been dancing in joy for the last couple of days. I heard this was coming a few days ago but didn't want to get my hopes up too high. I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area and I've been watching this thing unfold from the very first mention of a google-fiber expansion.

They need more on the East coast (I'm talking NE, not SE). Regardless of whether or not they come to my area, just announcing that they plan to come somewhat close will raise the speeds in my state.

Praise the almighty google for progressively saving us from comcast, at&t, TWC, and more!

I don't think the big ISPs will budge till they hit one of the three biggest metro areas. Can't wait till At&t, Comcast, and Verizon go full blown nuts with build out everywhere.

Regardless of whether or not they come to my area, just announcing that they plan to come somewhat close will raise the speeds in my state.

Interesting point!

Google fiber is coming to Chapel Hill, N.C., and it's next door to my city. Now, if I could only trust Time/Warner to actually be competitive I'll be all set :/

This is very cool, and I wish my city were on the map, but weren't we told that wireless was going to be the way to go in the future? I know it's not ready yet, but it seems Google is making a big investment on the bet we won't ever use wireless. All it would take is one wireless carrier to be able to allow people unlimited internet at a good price and all sorts of people would cut their broadband.

Wireless cannot handle the bandwidth it would take they would have to have a cell tower every three houses to handle more than 12 user per house. Then think about an apartment complex they would probably have to put a cell tower in all 4 sides of each one to handle the bandwidth then run fiber backbone line to each tower so it would be pointless when they could just run one or two fiber lines for each business and get away with half the line cost and no towers at all.

This is with current technology and everyone is already on smartphones and the cellular carriers already have issues meeting that bandwidth necessity. In a big city they would need towers and signal enhancer/signal bouncers x5 per floor everywhere the cost would be truly ridiculous.

Fiber will be the main carrier of internet going into the future and that will strengthen the wireless capabilities and reach of smart phones. You also have to realize that smartphones and tablets are mobile computers as well. Yes laptops are used but that is more for the keyboards and screen size necessities, hard drives/storage etc. mobile computing is your smartphone.

Wireless internet will be for the areas that cannot be reached by fiber and will be limited for at least 2 more generations and probably 4 of them before it can reach that threshold but by then it will be pointless because the fiber will also be 3 or 4 generations down the line and therefore that much more capable.

My favorite thing about all of this is Google is going to kill Comcast/TW and AT&T because they have no future vision and have not as of yet gotten of there butt's and started working but Google has. They in the future will be wireless carriers only and loose there major TV and residential internet provider status because no one will need them if you now only have 1 choice you will then have 2 and Google will give you better value as well as connection abilities, if you have 2 now you will have 3 then and Google as in the case of 1 will offer the better value and capabilities.

The best thing about it is Google has the money and resources to do it and will do so. I am not saying that residential areas do not matter here so do not take it that way, but if you become the predominant carrier in a Metropolitan area because of the amount of individuals you can serve in a smaller amount of space you win this war. Then they can later extend there Fiber, internet speeds, and the capabilities that come with them to everywhere.

Whereas Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T in many states have gotten the law changed to where the local communities cannot do this (install Fiber networks as a community utility) and it started in either North or South Carolina where the female Governor was bought out by them and the law she basically sponsored was passed. That law being on the books in the US allows there legal teams to cite it as a president and use it in any court case nationwide now.

I truly hope in 10 years that AT&T and Comcast are if not gone minimized then Verizon won't have the partners for buying politicians and everything will change for all home entertainment and communications as well. Right now our country is owned by a very small amount of companies, families, and individuals. Because of this everything you see on TV is scripted to make you or at least influence you to sit down and let these companies do as they please.

Again, I will willingly susbcribe to use all of Google's software products (as opposed to almost none currently) if they get Google Fiber into my area. Just saying.

... weren't we told that wireless was going to be the way to go in the future? I know it's not ready yet, but it seems Google is making a big investment on the bet we won't ever use wireless. All it would take is one wireless carrier to be able to allow people unlimited internet at a good price and all sorts of people would cut their broadband.

Google just invested over $1 billion into SpaceX's satellite program where SpaceX is planning on launching 4,000 satellites into orbit to provide worldwide internet...by 2020. So I would have to say that Google is doing both, wired and wireless.

Again, I will willingly susbcribe to use all of Google's software products (as opposed to almost none currently) if they get Google Fiber into my area. Just saying.

I'm with you! as long as I can pretend I'm subscribing to google services...but in reality they would be all disabled! lol

Back