Google introduces Pixel 8 and 8 Pro with faster processor, better cameras, and higher...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Google has formally taken the wraps off its latest smartphones, the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro. The standard Pixel 8 packs a 6.2-inch OLED display (1,080 x 2,400 resolution, 428 PPI) with a variable refresh rate (60 – 120 Hz) that's coated in Corning Gorilla Glass Victus. It's powered by Google's own Tensor G3 chip with a Titan M2 security co-processor, and is paired with 8 GB of LPDDR5X RAM and up to 256 GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

Around back is a dual-camera array consisting of a 50-megapixel primary shooter with an 82 degree field of view and an f/1.68 aperture alongside a 12-megapixel ultrawide (125.8 degree field of view) with an f/2.2 aperture lens. A 10.5-megapixel selfie camera resides up front, complete with f/2.2 aperture lens and a 95 degree field of view.

A 4,575 mAh battery provides "beyond 24-hour" battery life and with fast charging, you can get up to a 50 percent charge in about half an hour.

Other noteworthy specs include dual SIM support, stereo speakers with spatial audio support, Wi-Fi 7, and an IP68 rating against dust and water. Buyers will also receive seven years of OS, security, and feature updates, and a one-year warranty.

The Pixel 8 Pro, meanwhile, kicks it up a notch with a 6.7-inch LTPO OLED (1,344 x 2,992 resolution, 489 PPU) coated in Gorilla Glass Victus 2. The Pro's display is also brighter than the standard model, at up to 1,600 nits (HDR) and up to 2,400 nits (peak brightness). It's powered by the same Google Tensor G3 and Titan M2 co-processor, but comes loaded with 12 GB of LPDDR5X and up to 1 TB of UFS 3.1 storage.

The rear camera system is much improved over the base model as well. With the Pro, you'll receive the same 50-megapixel f/1.68 aperture primary camera in addition to a 48-megapixel ultrawide (f/1.95 aperture, 125.5 degree field of view) and a 48-megapixel telephoto (f/2.8, 21.8 degree field of view, 5x optical zoom). The front-facing selfie camera carries over from the standard Pixel 8.

The Pixel 8 Pro packs a 5,050 mAh battery that, like the base model, is reportedly good for 24+ hours of battery life on a single charge. Using an optional 30W USB-C charger, you can get a 50 percent recharge in about 30 minutes. It's also Qi-certified for wireless charging should you prefer to ditch the physical tether.

Both phones are available to pre-order today starting at $699 and $999 for the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro, respectively. The former is offered in grey, black, or rose gold, while the Pro can be had in your choice of black, blue, or white. What's more, those who pre-order a Pixel 8 Pro can choose between the Pixel Watch 2 or Pixel Buds Pro as a freebie. Look for them to launch on October 12.

Permalink to story.

Prediction: their battery life is gonna SUCK. Those new prices will get slashed within 2 months because people will find out that, surprise surprise, the pixel 8 is just as much an unfinished mess as the pixel 7 and 6 were.

The tensor G3 is slower then n a14 and still runs HOT. Scamdung pushing failed silicon at google once again, and google is lapping it up.

Prediction: their battery life is gonna SUCK. Those new prices will get slashed within 2 months because people will find out that, surprise surprise, the pixel 8 is just as much an unfinished mess as the pixel 7 and 6 were.

The tensor G3 is slower then n a14 and still runs HOT. Scamdung pushing failed silicon at google once again, and google is lapping it up.

Typing on a Pixel 6. Have it for two years, use it all the time, never had a single complaint. Wouldn't swap it for anything else except another Pixel.

G3 Tensor is slower = Citation needed
Least I try to base my hate of Apple on some evidence - or await real time feedback
I did speculate the Apple 15 pro wouldn't really run AAA games will due to thermals
I haven't checked how battery will stand up over time as well

Plus as for your love of Samsung - I'm sure the S23 FE mentioned elsewhere will do fine - Samsung discounts - so probably people can pick it up for $400

Google upping security updates as well
The $500 price range should be the good enough for 95% of the population "flagship" model
Yes this is higher - but I think pressure will mount in coming years - when people realise it's just a phone -and top of line stuff hits this level

Typing on a Pixel 6. Have it for two years, use it all the time, never had a single complaint. Wouldn't swap it for anything else except another Pixel.
Great, glad for you. A phone with 2010 era SoT would never do for me, and plenty of people have complained about the 6's battery life and overheating issues.
G3 Tensor is slower = Citation needed
Least I try to base my hate of Apple on some evidence - or await real time feedback
I did speculate the Apple 15 pro wouldn't really run AAA games will due to thermals
I haven't checked how battery will stand up over time as well

Plus as for your love of Samsung - I'm sure the S23 FE mentioned elsewhere will do fine - Samsung discounts - so probably people can pick it up for $400

Google upping security updates as well
The $500 price range should be the good enough for 95% of the population "flagship" model
Yes this is higher - but I think pressure will mount in coming years - when people realise it's just a phone -and top of line stuff hits this level
https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/2885856?baseline=2866475

I think that with the guarantee of 7 years of OS and Security updates, the price increase is more understandable. I understand Google is a trillion dollar company, but you have to pay people to create those updates you're going to receive.

Agree for the most part, I was very disappointed with the battery life on my Pixel 7A up until recently, and I put it down to my CGM over bluetooth draining the battery. But since the last patch the battery life has been superb, easily 40% remaining at bedtime with a lot of YouTubing during the evening. It's sitting at 87% just now when I've been awake 6 hours already.

Ya ... I had a Pixel 6 Pro .... You must be a fan boy because other than Camera that phone sucked! Crap screen, Phone got hot, phone would last half a day on a good day with same or less usage as a samsung s20 ultra that would last 1.5 days. I'm hopeful for this new Pixel but I ain't holding my breath..... I agree with the original commentator 100%

Back