Google is working on a new OS called Fuchsia that can run on almost any device

midian182

Staff member

Google is developing a brand new operating system that's quite a departure from its previous offerings. The open source project was discovered on GitHub with the description “Pink + Purple == Fuchsia (a new Operating System).”

Unlike Google’s other OSes such as Android and Chrome OS, Fuchsia isn’t based on Linux; instead, it uses the new Magenta Kernel, which is designed to power Internet of Things devices and compete against commercial embedded operating systems such as FreeRTOS and ThreadX, according to Android Police. However, Magenta is easily scalable so it can work on things like smartphones and desktop/laptop PCs.

Fuchsia supports both 32-bit and 64-bit ARM CPUs, 64-bit PCs, user modes, and a capability-based security model. It uses Google’s in-house Dart programming language and the Flutter user interface framework, suggesting that Fuchsia is built with Material Design in mind.

Google has yet to announce Fuchsia, but 9to5Google reports that two engineers from the company confirmed a couple of details: Google had decided to build Fuchsia open source from the beginning, which is why it's publicly visible; and it will eventually be officially announced and documented, but no there’s no timeframe for when this might happen.

Until Google reveals more, whatever plans it has for Fuchsia remain unknown. Its usage may not extend beyond IoT devices, or it could ultimately become the replacement for Android and Chrome OS. You can have a look at it yourself over on Github.

Permalink to story.

Well, it certainly COULD be a game changer in the Microsoft dominated marketplace, but there are a few things that will most certainly be necessary:

- Ability to run as a self standing OS without any internet ties
- Ability to run existing software from most platforms or quickly convince other software writers to follow
- Ability to operate devices (including older printers, etc. that other developers have abandoned)
- Higher security capability
- High capability for debugging compatibility issues & a responsive help desk system

There certainly may be many, many more, but I would consider this to be the minimal for me to ever consider making the jump away from the MS-OS.

Well, it certainly COULD be a game changer in the Microsoft dominated marketplace, but there are a few things that will most certainly be necessary:

- Ability to run existing software from most platforms or quickly convince other software writers to follow
- Ability to operate devices (including older printers, etc. that other developers have abandoned)
- High capability for debugging compatibility issues & a responsive help desk system

There certainly may be many, many more, but I would consider this to be the minimal for me to ever consider making the jump away from the MS-OS.
Did u read the article? They're not targeting the PC, that market is already dead in the water. They're targeting the future IoT market just like Android targeted smartphones & tablets. U can keep MS on your PC as that is a dead market for growth.

I think this is interesting. Perhaps google is trying to do away with both android and chromeOS, and make a single OS for all of their products, one where they have control of updates? Cant say I would be opposed to that, although it might be a little too late for that, given android's dominance.

Did u read the article? They're not targeting the PC, that market is already dead in the water. They're targeting the future IoT market just like Android targeted smartphones & tablets. U can keep MS on your PC as that is a dead market for growth.
did YOU read the article? Google has not said what devices will run this new OS. If it replaces chromeOS, then yes it would be technically running on those "dead end" PCs.

Also, just because a market isnt growing doesnt mean its dead. There are still over 70 million PCs sold per quarter, and the enthusiast market is still growing steadily.

They are not targeting the pc specifically but...
"Magenta is easily scalable so it can work on things like smartphones and desktop/laptop PCs".

Back