Google launches 5 Gig Internet service in three cities for $125/month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Google is rolling out a new high-speed fiber Internet tier in select regions that'll offer blazing fast symmetrical upload and download speeds. Google's new 5 Gig Internet service is launching in West Des Moines, Kansas City, and the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. The search giant put out an open call for trusted testers back in October to trial its 5 Gig and 8 Gig fiber products.

The 5 Gig offering comes with a Wi-Fi 6 router, up to two mesh extenders and professional installation for $125 per month. The bundle also includes installation of a 10 Gig fiber jack so users will be set up for even higher speeds down the road.

Nick Saporito, head of multi-gig and commercial product at Google, said the new service is designed to handle the demands of heavy Internet users including creative professionals that work in the cloud or with large files as well as households with many Internet users.

In its post from October, Google was also seeking testers for its 8 Gig Internet service. Saporito confirmed that service is still "on the horizon" but didn't give a timeline as to when it might be available. In the first post, Google said the 8 Gig service would retail for $150 per month.

Google is not the only ISP to offer fiber to the home, nor is it the only one working on super-fast solutions. 1 Gig fiber products are semi-common in many parts of the country and others like Optimum are building out their network to support 5 Gig packages. A quick check over on Frontier's website shows they also have a 5 Gig product available in select areas. Interested parties can plug in their address to check availability.

5 Gig is going to be overkill for most homes right now but it is still nice that the option exists at a reasonable price. Services like these also pave the way for future innovations that seem absolutely bonkers right now.

Image credit: Brett Sayles

Permalink to story.

Please if this is real can we just skip 2.5g and 5g eithernet and just go straight to 10gbe on hardware? If everything went standard 10gbe it would be my home networking wet dream

Do even creatives need it? - I suppose using Googles cloud - you could max it out

Plus how are USA ISP with home users running servers ? I know some ISP get a bit antsy if not reasonable use.

Anyway don't some families in Salt Lake City have huge families what with one parent always at home as home keeper - so good for running the media server to your 200 cousins

And you need to be working with services that will send or accept your data at this speed, which I'm guessing is not most of them but maybe that will change too.

For me with probably more typical home bandwidth needs, I basically haven't noticed any real difference since switching from a 200mb/s plan to a 1G plan. Downloading whole new games goes a few minutes faster maybe.

Anything from Google's "startup", have to beware. They have the habit of stopping their products after sometime.

Like others, I would also worry about Google shutting down the service out of nowhere. Sometimes I forget how fortunate I am to already be able to enjoy 10Gbit/s for a fraction of the cost from an independent ISP for the last couple years. I already have the option for 25Gbit/s, but no idea how I would do my local network to utilize that. I hope affordable fiber will continue to rollout quickly.

So in Australia the fastest service is 1000/400 for several hundred dollars per month. 250/25 cost $129 per month. A 5G/5G would cos $10K per month if offered.

That's a damn good deal. Right now I pay 94 a month for 1.5 gig which is already crazy fast for me. Just a few years ago 1 gig was a 100 a month.

So in Australia the fastest service is 1000/400 for several hundred dollars per month. 250/25 cost $129 per month. A 5G/5G would cos $10K per month if offered.

Checkout DGTek, if you’re in an area that js supported you’ll get access to 1000/1000 for $149 a month, unlimited data as well

Back