Google on Windows Phone 7: no need for another platform

Emil

Staff

Andy Rubin is Android's co-founder and now vice president of engineering at Google responsible for the open-source mobile operating system. Lowell McAdam is the Chief Executive Officer of Verizon. Rubin and McADam were recently asked what they thought of Windows Phone 7, among other things (you can read the two interviews over at PCMag and CNET, respectively), and neither of their answers was pretty.

"I think the screen shots I've seen are interesting, but look, the world doesn't need another platform," Rubin said. "Android is free and open; I think the only reason you create another platform is for political reasons. Why doesn't the whole world run with [Android]? They don't like the people who developed, or 'not invented here,' but [Android] is a successful, complete, vertically integrated free platform. I encourage everybody to use it, but I'm also not under the impression that everybody will use it, which is a good thing, because competition is good for the consumer and if somebody has an idea for a feature or a piece of functionality in their platform and Android doesn't do it, great. I think it's good to have the benefit of choice, but in the end I don't think the world needs another platform."

The problem with Rubin's comment is simple: Microsoft was in mobile first. Windows Phone will be replacing Windows Mobile, thus it's not "another platform." When Android entered the market, it was "another platform," which Rubin has conveniently forgotten. Still, that hasn't stopped Android from taking the market by storm.

"I can't really say which phones we'll offer yet," McAdam said when asked about whether Windows phones would arrive on Verizon's 4G network. "We like our relationship with Microsoft. But clearly in the U.S. there are three major mobile operating systems: RIM, Google, and Apple." The interviewer then asked to verify that McAdam did not view Microsoft as a major player in mobile and he confirmed: "No not at the moment. Microsoft is not at the forefront of our mind."

McAdam's comments aren't too surprising given that Microsoft has made the decision to launch Windows Phone as GSM-only. CDMA support won't come until 2011.

Windows Phone 7 is officially launching in London and NYC tomorrow. We'll have to wait a few quarters to see whether Google's and Verizon's statements change.

Permalink to story.

Android makers don't see the point of windows phone 7, I'm shocked. I on the other hand, am looking forward to WP7 and would definitely choose it over Android.

I have been reading about way too many weaknesses and compatibility issues to buy the whole "complete" argument. Oh and yeah, Windows for phones was around a good bit before Android was even conceived of.

Fail.

Guest above me, care to elaborate on the ways in which Android is "failing"? What is it lacking that would make you question its completeness? In my experience, almost every feature you could think of is supported natively, and those which aren't can be hacked in with a little know-how.

I agree it's a bit self important for Rubin to claim that there's no room in the market for a new OS, when in 2007 Android was the new guy contending against already the established iOS, RIM, and WinMo platforms. However, Android's numbers prove that it definitely has its share of worth, in fact moreso than the others.

IMO, Android is hands down better than Windows Mobile (memory leaks anyone?) and iOS (closed source, selfish, proprietary BS). As for RIM, it's better suited for business professionals than the everyday user, and even then, Android is catching up.

But, I don't agree that there's "no need" for another mobile OS. There's a need for competition to keep everyone's edge. If there was a monopoly in this market, then we'd see a slowdown in the amount of features added with each patch.

Ha ha, very funny.

Now how about in the PC OS space, does it still apply that there is no need for another OS (chromeOS)? Or browsers, no need for another browser (chrome)...

I guess it only depends on how much market share you have :)

"I think it's good to have the benefit of choice, but in the end I don't think the world needs another platform."

HuH??? Is my english really dumb or I'm just completely stupid? hmm...

Hmm, arrogant much? No matter how much Microsoft tries to please people, I guess there will always be those who just blindly hate.

Uh, flannelwarrior, he was wasn't saying that Android is fail. He was saying that Rubin's comment about not needing a "new" platform was fail.

Fail.

P.S. That means you failed.

Google doesn't see the need for more competition? I'm shocked! Shocked! Well not that shocked...

Google didn't faced much competition in their core business area i.e. search and allied services for a long while, because none of the big players thought much of it to start with. So now that, Google is starting to face competition in various markets, they are probably feeling bit of heat (which shouldn't be the case IMO) as i) they still rule the roost when it comes to search/advert., ii) Andriod has been reasonably successful platform so far.

Now to the Windows Phone, qualitatively MS productivity suite still rule the world (same is true in the mobile space, and the money lies in the Corporate sector), I know no one who use Google's stupid docs, many people around me frequently use software like Excel / OneNote / even Word (at times) on their WinMo cells; hence, that is the space where windows phone will find its appeal, as long as MS deliver tangible improvements and stable platform I will happily choose it over Andriod any day of year.

Archean said:
Google doesn't see the need for more competition? I'm shocked! Shocked! Well not that shocked...

Google didn't faced much competition in their core business area i.e. search and allied services for a long while, because none of the big players thought much of it to start with. So now that, Google is starting to face competition in various markets, they are probably feeling bit of heat (which shouldn't be the case IMO) as i) they still rule the roost when it comes to search/advert., ii) Andriod has been reasonably successful platform so far.

Now to the Windows Phone, qualitatively MS productivity suite still rule the world (same is true in the mobile space, and the money lies in the Corporate sector), I know no one who use Google's stupid docs, many people around me frequently use software like Excel / OneNote / even Word (at times) on their WinMo cells; hence, that is the space where windows phone will find its appeal, as long as MS deliver tangible improvements and stable platform I will happily choose it over Andriod any day of year.
Points noted, it was more of an excuse to get in a Futurama quote than anything. ;)

Hurry up and buy one right away. Do not wait for copy/paste. Do not wait for reports from customers on how it works. Be one of the first to buy a WP7. Do not wait for applications to be written for it.
Good luck!

+1 to Wagan8r for actually reading (and understanding the meaning of "context.")

However, with a handle like "flannelwarrior," fail must be well-known to him/her/it.

+1 to Wagan8r for actually reading (and understanding the meaning of "context.")

However, with a handle like "flannelwarrior," fail must be well-known to him/her/it.
You can't think of an argument against what I've said, so you attack my character? No, not even my character, my screen name? GTFO.

Back