Google Pixel 2 XL Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
"If you’re thinking about purchasing a Pixel 2 XL, you’ll have to decide how important display quality is to you. If you love a great-looking display, and think the above collection of issues will irritate you, you’ll be better off with a Galaxy or an iPhone X. But if you don’t really care, the Pixel 2 XL is excellent in nearly every other aspect.``

While you mention the iPhone X here, it is conspicuously absent from the rest of the review. I understand it`s difficult to compare them directly (and I`m assuming the reviewer didn`t actually have an iPhone X on hand) but it is clearly the elephant in the room when it comes to making a new purchase of a smartphone costing around $1000.

I`d be interested in reading a review with the top flagship phones compared - display, camera, battery, etc...

You wrote:
"Without a secondary sensor, there’s no way for Google to create depth maps via hardware, though as we’ll see from the portrait mode Google has implemented, this doesn’t matter at all"

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG HERE:
The Pixel 2 camera contains two sub-pixels for every pixel in the sensor and uses those for calculating the modest differences in distance between the object you shoot and the phone (and for other stuff like better focusing). Along with software algorithms Google then creates the Portrait depth-of-field effect.

Look here for more details:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/10/...ait-mode-uses-software-and-hardware-together/

So do people use these like tablets today or what? To me 6 inch phones are like 12 inch pianists. It looks cool and everything, some people might even like it but it isn't something I would actually want to be stuck with all day, every day.....

Far too expensive, tons of hardware/software issues, no headphone jack.

No sale. I'll stick to the moto z play.

Display burn-in is the only issue, albeit a large one. What other hardware/software issues are you hearing about?
The reviewer stated many times that the display has awful viewing angles with major color shift, along with a graininess in the screen. While I wouldn't call this "tons" of issues, it's an utter deal breaker for me. I wouldn't buy a TV with a lousy picture either, even if it was perfect in every other way.

Utter fail! The display is the most important part .you see it everytime you pick it up to use it.I get a little blue tint on angles on the idol 4s ,not like that though.no burn in.what is vr like on the display.?
No headphone jack.no microsd slot.
Still has icons.is android ever going to mature.will it run windows 10,not that I would want one.

You wrote:
"Without a secondary sensor, there’s no way for Google to create depth maps via hardware, though as we’ll see from the portrait mode Google has implemented, this doesn’t matter at all"

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG HERE:
The Pixel 2 camera contains two sub-pixels for every pixel in the sensor and uses those for calculating the modest differences in distance between the object you shoot and the phone (and for other stuff like better focusing). Along with software algorithms Google then creates the Portrait depth-of-field effect.

Look here for more details:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/10/...ait-mode-uses-software-and-hardware-together/

That's one sensor that performs two functions

I really dislike the design of this phone. Also it doesn't have a headphone jack/SD slot. Remember when Android was feature rich and that was something that made it a better alternative than Apples restricted iOS? Now, instead of continuing their trend they ditched that and started copying Apple by removing something useful. If they copy them by adding similar features that's fine, Apple does that too, but why do you copy their worst part? Looks like they don't understand why they were ever successful.

I really dislike the design of this phone. Also it doesn't have a headphone jack/SD slot. Remember when Android was feature rich and that was something that made it a better alternative than Apples restricted iOS? Now, instead of continuing their trend they ditched that and started copying Apple by removing something useful. If they copy them by adding similar features that's fine, Apple does that too, but why do you copy their worst part? Looks like they don't understand why they were ever successful.
Yeah, removing the headphone adapter has clearly led to declining sales for everyone who's done it... /sarcasm

Never said that ofcourse.
No... you just said "Looks like they don't understand why they were ever successful." and left it for us to imply that... maybe these multi-billion dollar companies have no clue and are going to lose tons of money... their track record shows this, obviousy - that's why they are worth what they are worth... but hey, I'm sure you're much smarter than the guys at Google, maybe you should apply :)

No... you just said "Looks like they don't understand why they were ever successful." and left it for us to imply that... maybe these multi-billion dollar companies have no clue and are going to lose tons of money... their track record shows this, obviousy - that's why they are worth what they are worth... but hey, I'm sure you're much smarter than the guys at Google, maybe you should apply :)
What I said doesn't imply they are clueless like you said. You shouldn't apply at Google.

What I said doesn't imply they are clueless like you said. You shouldn't apply at Google.
Hmmm... so not knowing why you're successful.... when you're a multi-billion dollar company.... doesn't imply you are clueless? Guess I need to start taking classes in whatever language you think you're speaking...

Hmmm... so not knowing why you're successful.... when you're a multi-billion dollar company.... doesn't imply you are clueless? Guess I need to start taking classes in whatever language you think you're speaking...
Clueless is a bit harsher term which I didn't use on purpose because I don't think they don't know anything, just haven't figured out some things consumers would like to have in a phone.

You seem to mention multi-billion dollar company a lot, what's with that? There's a pretty big list of tech failures that these multi-billion dollar companies made.

You seem to mention multi-billion dollar company a lot, what's with that? There's a pretty big list of tech failures that these multi-billion dollar companies made.
That would be Google...or Samsung... or Apple...those would be multi-billion dollar corporations...sorry, assumed you knew that :)

Back