Google reportedly has a self-driving car in the works

David Tom

google

New reports suggest that Google has plans to take self-driving cars to the next level, integrating their futuristic technology into a vehicle of their own; a stark contrast to their current method of modifying old Toyotas.

According to former Wall Street Journal writer Amir Efrati, Google intends to use the autonomous cars in a “robo-taxi” service. The self-driving taxis would initially be accompanied by a driver to mitigate any safety concerns, but eventually the cars would navigate the streets all by themeselves. And much like the recent rollout of Google Fiber to Kansas City, Google wants to experiment with one city at a time.

Interestingly, Google’s ambitions to enter the taxi industry coincides with their recent investment in Uber, a San Francisco-based startup that connects passengers with the drivers of luxury vehicles.

At first, it might seem unwise for Google to design and develop an automobile all on their own, especially when they have little to no expertise in this area. It would appear, however, that the tech giant may have had their hand forced, seeing as their efforts to reel in a major car manufacturer have failed to yield a partnership. Furthermore, the do-it-yourself attitude is a staple at Google; a company that has successfully designed its own smartphones and laptops as a way to showcase both Android and Chrome software.

To bring this idea to fruition, Google has entered into talks with auto-component companies such as Continental AG and Magna International. According to German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Google is close to finalizing a deal with Continental; a firm that not only provides automakers with components, but also aids in the vehicle assembly process.

There are numerous regulatory and politcal hurdles that Google must overcome, and once these concerns are laid to rest, interested buyers will have to foot the excessive price tag. As of now, Google’s fleet of camera-retrofitted Toyotas cost approximately $150,000 apiece to develop. Needless to say, it will probably take several more years before fully autonomous vehicles become available at retail.

Permalink to story.

This isn't too surprising. Magna has the capability to create a complete car since they already make all of the major subsystems for the current OEMs. Magna would have conflict of interest issues if they created their own car but if they were the contract manufacturer they could do it.

Good luck. me, im sticking with SUBARU or HONDA. good luck with your crap cars evil google.

Isn't this like very old news?... I remember seeing this article like 4-6months ago why is it popping up again?

Let all the Google Execs try them out first. If they survive, I'll consider risking my life.
Isn't this like very old news?... I remember seeing this article like 4-6months ago why is it popping up again?

I think it's news because Google is now thinking about selling it to the public and they're looking for ways to mass produce them. Last I heard, which was probably 6-8 months ago, they had over 200,000 miles on their self-driving prius without an accident. Their self-driving car has been working for a long time.

It's a big step though to take something from a proven proto-type to an assembly line. They have to design and build an entire assembly process, get all the logistics worked out for suppliers and make it all efficient to keep costs down.

Last I read, only CA and perhaps Nevada had passed laws that make it legal to 'drive' a self driving car, so their markets will be limited. Also, people who can afford a car for $150,000 can buy a car that is a lot of fun to drive. These things might be bought by movie stars as a novelty 4th vehicle until the price and availability makes them accessible to more people.

Then there's another problem... Celebrities buy cars too show off how cool they are and the men use them to project masculinity (see Beiber's Ferrari). Pulling up to the club in a Prius with a giant 'thing' sticking out the top isn't going to turn heads like an Audi A8. And if you want your enviro/tech cred, there's Tesla.

Great, lets give skynet the upper hand and let it control our cars... :)

No but seriously, interesting, I would love to see some of these on the roads and test them before I would ever hop inside of one.

I am not sure what to think of this. Especially with new reports of Tesla Cars being open to hackers, this is even worse. Once this is much safer in terms of security, I will be excited.

This would also reduce costs for hiring someone to drive for ya you could buy this car which is cheaper overall and more safer plus a car cant drink and drive haha

Following on from what JC713 said ... will we need firewalls and anti-virus software for cars? What might hackers do: swap the indicator lights; make the brake respond with acceleration; lock the car doors and make the car do donuts? :) Ram pedestrians, drive straight for the nearest pier. How could anyone trust these cars?

It's a fantastic concept in an ideal world.

I sort of hate to point this out since it is true and is very old news, however, for those interested in articles with a more technical approach:

This article about the google self-driving car passing 300,000 miles is from about 1-year ago - http://phys.org/news/2012-08-google-self-driving-cars-mile.html

This article detailing google's efforts to make driverless cars legal in Nevada is from more than 2-years ago - http://phys.org/news/2011-05-google-driverless-cars-legal-nevada.html

What is the purpose of this? So you can surf the web with google while your car is driving itself? If you use bing the car crashes and kills you?

I would be a little creeped out to see a driverless car pull up to me when I call for cab service. And I'd be worried that I say, "Take me to the Air Port." to which it replies, "Take you to a hair cut. Understood." I think I'd still to the good old human driver cabs for a while.

A bunch of overpaid Google prima donna's doing the testing work??? I don't see it happening. They'd rather risk other peoples lives before theirs, after all Google rules the world.
lol, I don't see them doing it either. I can say one thing for sure. Even if I had a thick enough wallet, I wouldn't be the guinea pig for this project.

Back