Google wants you to update Chrome right now

DPennington

Bottom line: Google is urging Chrome users to update their browsers immediately after a zero-day exploit that could give hackers direct access to a user's OS has been found. The most recent version is 72.0.3626.121, and it's the version you want to be running to make sure you're safe from this exploit.

Google is urging users to update Chrome across all platforms after a critical vulnerability was discovered and patched.

The vulnerability exploits a security flaw known as CVE-2019-5786. The security flaw is a memory management issue in Chrome's FileReader which gives hackers the opportunity to inject and execute malicious code. Security researchers at Google and Microsoft have observed attackers using a combination of a patched Chrome vulnerability and an unpatched Windows vulnerability to take advantage of Windows 7 systems.

FileReader is a embedded program in most browsers that allows web apps to read the contents of a user's local file system. The vulnerability identified by Google allows malicious code to leave Chrome's security environment and run commands on the underlying OS.

Well-known Chrome security researcher Justin Schuh concisely addressed the urgency of this update on Twitter:

Google is calling this a "zero-day" vulnerability, meaning that the bad guys figured out how to exploit it before the good guys were able to find and patch it.

The version of Chrome you should be running is 72.0.3626.121, released at the beginning of March 2019. To check your version number, type chrome://settings/help into the address bar. From there, you will be able to see your version number. Just going to that page will trigger an update check, and Chrome will prompt you to relaunch it when finished. You can also manually download the latest version of Chrome here.

Stay safe out there.

Permalink to story.

Well, that's never happened before. All the more reason to believe in the safety of self driving semi's

The only thing I want is the Chrome works on my Windows 10. :/ For some reason (a suspicious one) the only Browser working it's the Edge ! I've search a lot to figure it out whats going on but nothing solved it !

Well, that's never happened before. All the more reason to believe in the safety of self driving semi's
They don't have to be perfect. I don't understand why people don't get this. They just have to be better than humans.

They don't have to be perfect. I don't understand why people don't get this. They just have to be better than humans.
It's the little word ‘just’, which makes it obvious that you don’t have the slightest of clues about the complexity they are facing.

It's the little word ‘just’, which makes it obvious that you don’t have the slightest of clues about the complexity they are facing.
Which is why you have no rebuttal except to attempt to shame me

Last edited:
Which is why you have no rebuttal except to attempt to shame me
What’s there to rebuff?
“They just have to be better than humans.”
Drop that phrase to somebody who’s into AI development and be awestruck by the reaction.

What’s there to rebuff?
“They just have to be better than humans.”
Drop that phrase to somebody who’s into AI development and be awestruck by the reaction.
To be on the road that is the truth. They only have to be better than humans. I am not downplaying what they are doing and how difficult it is.

Back