Google's new $2000 Chromebox for Meetings pack supports larger spaces

Scorpus

Staff member

Early last year Google announced Chromebox for Meetings, a virtual meeting solution that provides companies with conferencing hardware, software and support. The collection of hardware is powered by an Asus Chromebox, and uses Google+ Hangouts and Google Apps to communicate with others remotely.

Google has decided to expand their Chromebox for Meetings offering with a new hardware pack that supports larger meeting rooms. The new pack still comes with an Asus Chromebox and a remote, but it now includes two speakers and microphones, and comes with a business-grade Logitech USB 1080p PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) camera worth $800.

google chromebox meetings chrome os chromebox for meetings

This new hardware allows the larger Chromebox for Meetings package to support 20 people in the one room, rather than eight from the smaller and cheaper package. Both packages allow you to chat with up to 15 people remotely through Hangouts.

Chromebox for Meetings now supports full-screen mode for a better experience, and customers will also have the ability to connect two monitors to the hardware kit for "the richest video conferencing experience". On the management front, Google has included a range of new tools that make it quicker and easier to monitor their Chrome devices.

This new Chromebox for Meetings kit will set companies back $1,999, which is double the price of the smaller bundle and may sound expensive, but it is cheaper than many competing solutions. The price includes one year of management and support, which costs $250 per year thereafter.

Permalink to story.

Two grand??? Appl... er... Google doesn't stuff around, do they. Anyway for a company who benefits from this tech, it's a drop in the ocean and money well spent.

Two grand??? Appl... er... Google doesn't stuff around, do they. Anyway for a company who benefits from this tech, it's a drop in the ocean and money well spent.
Like the article says, it is cheaper than the competition and includes a year of free support. There is a reason corporate products are more expensive and it is mostly because the support structure they have in place for them are way beyond consumer support.

As much as I like the price tag, I'd wait and see the Microsoft Hub product before I ask the boss what I want. We currently have the Smartt Whiteboards and Smartt LRS (Lync) products installed. I see the Google product lacking collaboration tools.

Back