Google's upcoming Pixel 2 XL pricing revealed, and it won't come cheap

William Gayde

Staff

The full unveiling of both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL is scheduled for October 4 but Droid Life has obtained some additional details in the interim. The Pixel 2 XL will start at $849 for the 64GB model and jump up to $949 for the 128GB model.

As consumers demand more and more out of their mobile devices, phones retailing at or near quadruple digit prices are definitely starting to become a thing. Apple's upcoming iPhone X starts at a whopping $999 and goes even higher depending on the specifications. Android flagships have historically been cheaper than the comparable iPhone and while that still holds true, it's not by much.

If those numbers are a little too much for your wallet at the time of launch, Google is also offering financing options over a 24-month period. The 64GB model will be available for $35.38 per month while the 128GB version will come in slightly higher at $39.54 per month.

Google's older Nexus line of phones was well-known for offering near-flagship performance at roughly half the price. Continuing from the original Pixel phone, it looks as if Google is abandoning this pricing model in favor of an all-out flagship-class phone.

The LG-made Pixel 2 XL will be available in both solid black as well as a black and white combo. The leaked renders aren't the highest quality and don't necessarily show the final product but the black and white model also appears to have an orange power button. Both will have the same rear glass pane surrounding the camera at the top. We are expecting the screen to be six inches measured diagonally and feature an OLED panel similar to the LG V30.

Although HTC is producing the smaller Pixel 2, both phones are likely to have the same squeeze gestures.

Permalink to story.

The things you could have instead of a f***ing phone that only gets updates for a few years... But everybody does it so I guess whatever

I always wait til a new model comes out, then typically if I'm in the mood for a new phone, buy LAST years next best thing since sliced bread. The price is usually 1/2 of what they started out as.
Smartphones, other than gimmicks are way overpowered for what people use them for, the version of OS doesn't really matter (outside of security updates). People get all hot & bothered when a new phone is released, falling for the MARKETING aspect. No bezels, no camera bumps, "stylish" colors, slim & attractive bla bla bla. Code words for we are going to jack the price up with every new model, because we know how to market, and we know consumers are STUPID and will most likely spend whatever amount we charge, year after year after year.

Uh... no. I have no brand loyalty. I go with whatever brand offers decent value. As long as there are overpriced phones, there will always be a brand out there trying to make a name for itself. Before it was nexus branding. For now Oneplus phones seem to be a decent value. As they raise prices, someone else will take the place.

Give it a few years and flagship phones will be $1500-$2000.
Not even a few years, it's just around the corner. The masses have demonstrated their keenness & willingness to waste their money on flagship phones even if it means getting themselves into unnecessary debt hence those repayment plans designed to further milk the buyers. While this trend carries on, the industry will ride the crest of the wave and they'd be stupid not to. It's just how business works, pure and simple.
Having said that, I use a flagship phone but fortunately I don't pay flagship prices, just the cost of the device and is that expensive phone worth it's RRP? Most definitely not, it's not even close. The cost difference between a flagship device and a good mid ranger is a lot closer than you'd imagine but the market sells a lot more mid rangers than flagships hence the wide price disparity at retail.

$849?!?

LOLF***NO.

these things still have the build quality and software update schedule of $349 nexus phones, and they want almost $1K? No, google, you are not apple, you are not going to get away with this.

Give it a few years and flagship phones will be $1500-$2000.
Not even a few years, it's just around the corner. The masses have demonstrated their keenness & willingness to waste their money on flagship phones even if it means getting themselves into unnecessary debt hence those repayment plans designed to further milk the buyers. While this trend carries on, the industry will ride the crest of the wave and they'd be stupid not to. It's just how business works, pure and simple.
Having said that, I use a flagship phone but fortunately I don't pay flagship prices, just the cost of the device and is that expensive phone worth it's RRP? Most definitely not, it's not even close. The cost difference between a flagship device and a good mid ranger is a lot closer than you'd imagine but the market sells a lot more mid rangers than flagships hence the wide price disparity at retail.

Yup. It's just like the automotive industry, with car makers pushing more and more expensive packaged models for a low low monthly price (and ridiculous 84-96 month loans with mortgage level interest rates) and people lap them up. Do you really need a 65K truck when a 38K has most of the same basic features? No, but people buy them up like candy.

This "debt rebound" is going to result in another crash. Not 2008 level, but hard enough to screw up a lot of peoples lives. this kind of spending is just unsustainable.

Last edited:
I haven't had a new phone in years - always second hand previous flagship (just got hold of an LG G5 - very nice screen and the 32 bit B&O DAC module that was priced at over £100 is now £30) . My previous phone was an Xperia Z (the first one) and so the G5 is a nice little upgrade without breaking the bank.

They better offer a really generous trade-up incentive for current Pixel owners...I was on a wait list for a VERY long time to get my XL, as my Note 5 was dying a slow and painful death.

I haven't had a new phone in years - always second hand previous flagship (just got hold of an LG G5 - very nice screen and the 32 bit B&O DAC module that was priced at over £100 is now £30) . My previous phone was an Xperia Z (the first one) and so the G5 is a nice little upgrade without breaking the bank.
Also have the G5. I like the screen too, and I'm never tethered to a wall due to charging because OMG you can remove the battery. If it had stock android and more practical mods I'd recommend to anyone.

$849?!?

LOLF***NO.

these things still have the build quality and software update schedule of $349 nexus phones, and they want almost $1K? No, google, you are not apple, you are not going to get away with this.

Yup. It's just like the automotive industry, with car makers pushing more and more expensive packaged models for a low low monthly price (and ridiculous 84-96 month loans with mortgage level interest rates) and people lap them up. Do you really need a 65K truck when a 38K has most of the same basic features? No, but people buy them up like candy.

This "debt rebound" is going to result in another crash. Not 2008 level, but hard enough to screw up a lot of peoples lives. this kind of spending is just unsustainable.
It's common human nature for a lot of people to want and crave to live large at any cost and the business industry plays them like a maestro. Sure, nobody plans to take up residence under an overpass but you've got to know your limits and cut your cloth accordingly.

Back